Comments

• Thanks gansobalanco

I knew it was bad but I didn't know to what extent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Walter Williams column in this morning's Advocate exemplifies the problem we have today. Instead of trying to present an argument to explain the large disparity between the middle class wage earner and the top 1%, Mr. Williams just justified income inequality by blaming the Occupy Wall Street moment .
    It's never been about punishing the rich, it's about modifying our tax code in order to level the playing field for middle class Americans. As most have acknowledged, a 3% increase on the top 1% marginal rates will not lead them to bankruptcy but it would lessen the burden on the elderly, the poor and middle class.

November 30, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.

• "Also, dont forget about the Business of Law enforcement. The DEA knows the WAR on drugs is lost, so they now go to the Physicians office and justify their jobs by telling a doctor who what and where they can prescribe."

From the CDC:

Deaths from prescription painkillers have reached epidemic levels in the past decade. The number of overdose deaths is now greater than those of deaths from heroin and cocaine combined. A big part of the problem is nonmedical use of prescription painkillers—using drugs without a prescription, or using drugs just for the "high" they cause. In 2010, about 12 million Americans (age 12 or older) reported nonmedical use of prescription painkillers in the past year.

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 p.m.

• Will
    I don't know enough about the subject to disagree with you. I understand the logic that prohibition empowers the underworld. The underworld will take shortcuts such as lasing the drugs with cheaper ingredients to increase their profits. Counterfeit drugs are a major problem.I don't know about you but I want the FDA to monitor what drugs are safe to be sold over the counter and those that need prescription.

The CIA World Fact Book stated that the United States is" world's largest consumer of cocaine (shipped from Colombia through Mexico and the Caribbean), Colombian heroin, and Mexican heroin and marijuana; major consumer of ecstasy and Mexican methamphetamine; minor consumer of high-quality Southeast Asian heroin; illicit producer of cannabis, marijuana, depressants, stimulants, hallucinogens, and methamphetamine; money-laundering center ." I think that's a problem and and not one that should be left to " let tour conscience be your guide."

Like I said , I don't know enough about the subject to make a credible point but I wouldn't like to see unfettered row and rows meth houses.

November 29, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.

• Mike,
    In most countries the Pharmacist can dispense medications that we need a prescription for here in the U.S. In those countries, the incidence of addiction per capita is a lot less than the U.S.

Legalization would not increase the number of addicts as most abusers/users can find ANYTHING they want on the streets, empowering the underworld.
    It is much easier going against "Dr.Smith" than "EL Druglord de Cartello"
    Dr Smith posts his hours and doesn't shoot back.

November 29, 2011 at 10:48 a.m.

• I thought the same thing Rebecca, I would start with marijuana because we lost that war decades ago...... The abuse of prescription drugs is a big problem, so I'm not convinced that we should make them available over the counter.

November 29, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

• I enjoyed that documentary, Mike. It gave me some ideas on how to win a drug "war." =P

November 28, 2011 at 10:12 p.m.

• Mike, I will give you an A-, however you voted for a person who had no jobs policy, only to increase the size of government, with no solution to slove the problem of jobs. He has the mind set of a socalist, only becuase of the size of government... If he had or cared about jobs, that alone would have defeated his on policies and or political agenda... And that is the truth, wether you believe it or not, facts speak for them self...

November 28, 2011 at 6:33 p.m.