Comments

• You are quite welcome, Dale

Have a good weekend

September 2, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

• Thank you Mike for the information.

Dale

September 2, 2011 at 10:19 a.m.

• Dale
    I back up my data to the iToons web site and my laptop but I did find this information.

I hope it helps you.

Risks of Cloud Storage

Data theft is a second and more serious risk of cloud computing. It's not that cloud-computing providers are sloppy about security. They're more conscientious about it than many large enterprises and most small users. But the bigger the castle, the more barbarians there are at the gates. As more companies deposit their top-secret data in cloud-computing providers' castles, more hackers turn their efforts to breaching those high walls. It's a never-ending battle, but fundamentally no different from you versus a lone hacker -- and most home users are no match for a skilled hacker.

Government monitoring and seizure of data is a third issue with cloud computing. The European Union has strict, high standards of privacy protecting citizens against government intrusion into their personal business. Not so in the United States, where the PATRIOT Act and other laws give government agents enormous latitude to spy upon and seize personal data, if they can get their hands on it. It's easier to serve a subpoena on a cloud-computing provider than to serve hundreds or thousands upon individuals.

And it's always possible that your cloud-computing provider will go out of business. What happens to your data in that case? Well, you should be keeping local backups, or engaging a second cloud-computing provider to back up your data for you. That can be done automatically between the two providers, leaving you nothing to do but pay for the peace of mind. On the other hand, if the applications that you use are provided through the cloud, it can be a serious blow if your provider suddenly goes dark. That's what a business continuity plan is for. You should make plans to recover your data and keep using it in the event that a cloud-computing provider goes out of buinsess.

Cloud computing is definitely here to stay, and its benefits are compelling. You shouldn't avoid cloud computing because of imagined or falsely inflated fears,

Read more: http://askbobrankin.com/is_cloud_stor...

September 1, 2011 at 4:42 p.m.

• I for one am glad they purchased them. When I save up the change your blog has convinced me of their worth. And since you are more knowledgeable about electronics than I. I received an email from a vender offering their services to backup my files to their "cloud(?)". What do you know of this back up technology? How secure could it be? Thanks

September 1, 2011 at 4:33 p.m.

• Vox

I made a supportive statement because there is nothing to argue about since the decision to buy 18 iPads has already been made.

I was not prepared to argue the need to dump desktops and laptops for iPads because, as I stated, iPads are not supposed to be replacements but more of an in conjunction with.

The carpal tunnel was more about my personal observations (friends, relatives, I and others) but according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median number of lost work days due to injury from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is 28 Days?

The use of a computer mouse or poor ergonomic computer set- up is a growing source of lost productivity and even injury! Why? Because of the constant and repetitive motion involved and the stress and strain on joints and muscles when put in poor positioning for hours at end. The continuous gripping and pressing of buttons on a computer mouse that does not fit your hand, can cause excessive stress on working finger and wrist tendons.

Again, I'm not familiar nor do I have any knowledge of how the City Council will use their iPads but I have an application called "Dropbox" where I can scan a document on my desktop or laptop and drag it to the "Dropbox" and it appears instantly on all the computers that are on the network. There are several articles online about city councils across the nation using iPads to save paper.

The voice recorder is an application called “Talking Memos" which uses a time and date stamps to save the messages which can be emailed. They might not use it; that's not a big deal.

I don't think it's a good idea to have information that belongs to the city on one's personal computer.

September 1, 2011 at 1:42 p.m.

• So the arguments for are:

*Saves paper/money -- the packets are already online, why not read them from there?

*Prevents carpal tunnel and eases arthritis -- how much movement do you have to do with a mouse to read?

*Voice recording -- I don't see many of our council members using this. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm curious how the packets are getting delivered to the iPads...via email? Anyone know? Good luck sending one of those 400+ MB budget packets through email.

I think it's a poor use of money, and I'm not sure they've planned out all the effects this will have. I'm not against technology at all...it's actually part of my job to test out all the new gadgets and determine what's beneficial and what isn't. I think there could be some good uses for the city, but if the council wants to use it, they should buy their own.

September 1, 2011 at 11:58 a.m.

• Thanks Chris,thank you for sharing.

September 1, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.