Comments

• Twighlight Zone? Did y'all see the episode where the Texas Governor got the legislature to create a slush fund so the Governor could make payments to corporations to move to Texas? After spending hundreds of millions of tax payers dollars unemployment in Texas reached it's highest level in over 20 years. Then the Governor ran for President on his job creation record.

Pretty weird stuff.

September 7, 2011 at 7:45 p.m.

• Presidential candidates can't do anything until they are elected and all the president can do is present a proposal. He does have some executive powers but Congress controls the purse strings.

The president will submit a $300 billion jobs plan(I thinks that's way too small) and make some proposals that he will campaign on. If the proposals are popular with the American people; they in turn will put pressure on their representatives. The bully pulpit is a powerful weapon, if used right.

A third party would still have a republican or democratic house and senate. If the president of the United States and the speaker the house can't control them; a president from the third party doesn't stand a chance. The third-party advocates have petitioned to be on the ballot on all 50 states but they don't have a presidential candidate. I don't think they can get 30% of the vote; that's probably what's needed to break up the two parties. Ross Perot made a good effort but he only got about 20%.

September 7, 2011 at 4:15 p.m.

• Well Mike - we can watch tonight - they won't do what they say.
    Watch tomorrow night - nothing he says he will do.

How about a third party?

September 7, 2011 at 4:01 p.m.

• Please, that Sarah Palin folksy line is getting a little stale, but I'm doing OK. Thanks for asking. The alternative would've been doomsday.

The report from the Twilight Zone won't come on until tonight's GOP debate ,when the republicans mention Ronald Reagan ad nauseam and might mention the middle class once or twice. I imagine we'll hear tax cuts after tax cuts coming down from the rooftop like confetti.... How does supply side trickle down economics 'work for the middle class?

September 7, 2011 at 3:52 p.m.

• How's that hopey/changey thing working for you? Zero percent job growth in August and all we need to fix it is another Trillion dollar Stimulus. After all, the last Trillion dollar stimulus worked so well. It is interesting to occasionally get a report from the Twilight Zone.

September 7, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

• fatguy

It is a fact that we were losing jobs at an alarming rate and the policies put forth by the Obama Administration stopped that job hemorrhaging. If the job losses would have continued that alone would have led to the Great Depression. Depression averted!..Since then we had 18 months of job growth but it is not enough..We did not go into another depression,so assumptions don't count.

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The hemorrhaging of American jobs accelerated at a record pace at the end of 2008, bringing the year's total job losses to 2.6 million or the highest level in more than six decades.

A sobering U.S. Labor Department jobs report Friday showed the economy lost 524,000 jobs in December and 1.9 million in the year's final four months, after the credit crisis began in September.
    The unemployment rate rose to 7.2% last month from 6.7% in November - its highest rate since January 1993.

The bailout propped up Wall Street and it worked; we got back most of our money with interest. The stimulus(different program) laid down the floor, so the states would have to lay off as many firemen, teachers, and policemen. The stimulus make sure that unemployment benefits would be extended to take care the working poor until our country recovered.

I'm not going to discuss revisionist history but a war it just another form of stimulus; because at the time we didn't have the funds to get into a war. After the war the G.I. bill allowed veterans to go to college,unions were strong, and the field was much more level.
    If rhetoric was an economic policy; we would be using it.....Again, show me where a prosperous country like ours was allowed to fail .

I like to argue facts and data not theories,so respectfully, our discussion is over.

Have a good day

September 7, 2011 at 9:41 a.m.

• Each time I just about get to the point where I don't want to trust anyone - there is a ray of hope. I had a good experience this weekend when I had a problem at home and needed a service man. I was on the waiting list - but when the situation got worse - the man changed his priorities and responded immediately. There are good business people out there - we need to search them out and use them.

September 7, 2011 at 9:31 a.m.

• Newcowboyintown

I saw an episode featuring this program on PBS's "Need to Know" about a couple months ago. At that time, I thought it was a good initiative but there's not enough data to come to any kind of conclusion. It could be a way for businesses to get free labor or maybe the unemployed person is not taking advantage of an opportunity. I think that's one of those case by case basis. I can see where the government might investigate the company to see if they are in a position to hire, make a requirement of say hiring 50%, require the company to refund any prepaid funds if requirements are not met.

I don't know how much the Georgia program was advertised or if word -of -mouth from unhappy participants had anything to do with it. Too many questions to give an honest answer.

Unfortunately, once the money leaves our hands our contract agreement with the merchant ends. We get the merchandise and they get our money.

I've been saying that all along, it's all about trust. When the healthcare bill was first announced, accountants were calculating if it was feasible to pay a penalty in 2014 and not provide Health Insurance. We can never discount "trust" when the human element is involved.

September 7, 2011 at 9:18 a.m.

• I respectfully disagree. We have delayed another great depression, not diverted it. Again, nothing has been fixed. The stimulus may have goosed the stock market and bailed out the fraudsters but its effects are only temporary and when the stimulus ends the economy promptly starts to tank again until they decide to pump some more.

Eventually the cocaine addict either kicks the habit or it kills him. That is where we are at with government stimulus and the economy.

As for the Great Depression that started in 1929 and persisted through the 1930s, the only thing that saved us was WWII. After the war ended much of the industrialized world had been bombed to ashes with America being the notable exception.

September 7, 2011 at 7:51 a.m.

• "The Georgia Department of Labor said that as of last week only 19 people have enrolled. "

I wonder about that - a person is on unemployment - given the opportunity to better themselves with training, but no one is enrolling. Are people not wanting to improve their situation? I don't have the answer - just the question.

In reading your blog it came to me - I don't think I would complain much if prices for things I buy went up some percentage if I knew the money was going to better wages - which in turn gives the wage earner more buying power - which in turn puts more money in the hands of the wage earners. Sure would be better than sending the money to Washington for them to waste. Problem - I am not sure we can trust business to pass through the price increases as wages - I know sounds like I don't trust anyone.

September 7, 2011 at 7:49 a.m.

• Sorry,I meant to say that is not disputed.

September 6, 2011 at 6:11 p.m.

• That's a nice dream not based in reality.
    We've been through many depressions and one Great Depression;came back using Stimulus etc.,can you name a country that came back using "the market will self correct?"We are in a world financial downturn where other countries depend on our rebound....We averted another Great Depression and that is undisputed.

September 6, 2011 at 6:05 p.m.

• QE3, then QE4, 5 and 6 and so one until the whole shebang finally collapses of it's own weight. All so the big banks and investors who took the risks and bought into the schemes don't have to take thier losses.

Said it before and will say it again. Nothing has been fixed its just been papered over and ignored hoping it will all go away or somehow fix itself. We would be well into a genuine recovery if they had just let well enough alone and allow the system to correct on its own.

Pain all around ? Oh yes, massive pain for everyone. And then stronger and financially wiser hands would have been able to step in, correct the imbalances, and begin rebuilding our shattered economy.

September 6, 2011 at 5:46 p.m.