Comments

• Alton Easton.

Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 plan sounds like 6-6-6 to me.

Mr.Williams

September 10, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.

• JD.

Since you reply to me smartly about the economic plans of candidates, I’ll be bold to say this. If McCain-Palin would have won, we would most likely be at war with Iran or even North Korea.

Mr. Williams.

September 10, 2011 at 7:28 p.m.

• There are lots more to come but the message will be the same.... Give corporations more tax cuts, do not take away their loopholes, and do away with the pollution regulations. I'm sure China can tell us where they got all those masks they were wearing during the Beijing Olympics.

September 9, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 9, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

• Oh, I think a lot of us do.

I'm reading Dick Cheney's book" In My Time"where he said "When McCain asked President George W. Bush to convene a meeting to discuss the financial crisis with the congressional leadership, the move “frankly surprised many of us in the White House,” Cheney wrote.

“After all, there really wasn’t much John could actually do, and it seemed pretty risky to ... head back to Washington without being clear about what you could actually deliver,” Cheney wrote. “But we wanted McCain to win, so when he asked the president to convene the congressional leadership -- the president did it.”

Cheney described the meeting as “likely unique in the annals of American presidential contests.”

McCain, despite having essentially called the meeting, took a pass the first time Bush turned to him to speak. The second time, “he spoke, but only for himself,” Cheney wrote.

“It was a marked contrast with [then-Sen. Barack] Obama, whose words carried the authority of all the Democrats in the room,” he wrote. “Senator McCain added nothing of substance. It was entirely unclear why he’d returned to Washington and why he wanted the congressional leadership called together.”

Now ,Dick Cheney was in the room and he knows.

JD
    President Obama cannot spend what a GOP controlled house of representatives doesn't appropriate.

September 9, 2011 at 2:17 p.m.

• Watching Obama's speech last night, it struck me how all this man knows is spend and worry about paying for it later.

September 9, 2011 at 2:09 p.m.

• GOP said: "No one had a plan for this economy in 2008, McCain and Palin certainly didn’t."

Well, we'll never know for sure, will we?

September 9, 2011 at 2:06 p.m.

• Yep, President Obama was speaking to those who are having difficulties NOW! Those who do not understand the finer points, but understand that they need jobs now, not after the next election. He was also defining a contrast between himself and the GOP in congress. I think he accomplished his goal, but of course the spinmeisters will not see it the way needy Americans see it, but that was expected.
    I was watching Boehner's face the whole time. His face is very expressive. I saw panicked looks, smirks, disbelief a few times, his eyes darting over to his colleages.

September 9, 2011 at 11:05 a.m.

• That's one person's opinion and I seriously doubt that the administration will lose any sleep because of it. The president message was never going to be accepted by the partisan naysayers; the message was intended for the rest of America. You know the 14 million that are unemployed for whom this is not partisan politics.

The $447 billion " American Jobs Act" "merits consideration" said John Boehner in his conciliatory comment after the speech... It will have some republican support because 60% of the act is tax cuts and it will be paid for. The proposals are what both parties have accepted before.

The Congressional Budget Office will grade the final package sometime next week when the administration presents the final details to Congress for legislative action.Mark Zandi -Chief economist at Moody's Analytics said if this money gets into the economy by the year 2012 it would create 1.9 million jobs or about 150,000 jobs a month.

What is amateurish? Not knowing that government proposals alone will not help the " DEMAND" problem ,only consumers can do that. The alternative would be for Congress to sit on their hands for 14 months.

September 9, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.

• I have never been more embarrassed for a president as I was last night watching BO try to sell his snake oil. Another stimulus, oops, I mean jobs creation bill that is destined to fail and put us further in debt.

It was amateur hour. The speech was incoherent. It was all over the map. It was nothing new.

September 9, 2011 at 9:40 a.m.

• Writein

While I agree those candidates you mentioned paid the filing fee and completed the necessary paperwork to be on the GOP ticket should somehow be included; I think the debates would have to be extended to 4 hours in order to get them all in. I don't think the networks want that and neither do their advertisers.

Remember, the Obama Administration made Huntsman the ambassador to China, not only for his credentials but they saw him as a viable presidential candidate that would be tough to beat.

They didn't think he would run in 2012 but they were wrong.

Now, if you're gonna mimic right wing talking points you can't be leaving out Marxist, socialist, and Obamao..:-)

September 9, 2011 at 9:31 a.m.

• JD said "Writein said: "If you are running for president and have no plan, then don’t run."

"Good advice. Someone should have told Obama this in 2008."

Three days after the 2008 elections, President elect Obama said that on his first day in office he was going to rush through a stimulus package(a plan)... At the time, (republicans like to forget this) we were losing from 500,000 to 750,000 jobs a month, and had lost -3.7% of GDP in the 3rd qtr.of 2008 and down to-8.9% in the forth qtr. of 2008, by the end of the first quarter of 2009 we were up to 1.9 %... The president decided to continue the Bush bailout of Wall Street(which worked) and his decision to prop up GM saved over a million jobs.

JD's republican presidential candidate (John McCain) said “the fundamentals of our economy is still strong" in the middle of the 2008 financial crisis.

If people want to blame President Obama for our economic predicament ( only 30% of Americans do); that's their prerogative but I don't how any other person( even Reagan reincarnated) who would have as at 5% unemployment and 3% growth today... A president still has to have corporation from a Congress that has a 13% approval.

Now, the president has accomplished much of what he promised on the campaign (his plan) but you’re welcome to go to Politifact and check for yourself.

September 9, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

• JD
    No one had a plan for this economy in 2008, McCain and Palin certainly didn’t. None planned on inheriting an economy in a nose dive. And we are out this dive, unemployment is 2% higher than the 7% W's job creating economy gave us and the stock market bottomed at 6,600. And where is it today?

September 9, 2011 at 8:47 a.m.

• I supported Herman Cain for over a year and he is still the best candidate to get this country moving into a true economic recovery. I realize his lack of a strong political organization to raise funds and promote him means it will be a miracle if he was to get the nomination.

September 9, 2011 at 8:43 a.m.

• Writein said: "If you are running for president and have no plan, then don’t run."

Good advice. Someone should have told Obama this in 2008.

September 9, 2011 at 7:52 a.m.

• A commenter on The Atlantic: "Listening to GOP Presidential candidates talk about science is like listening to children talk about sex: They know it exists, they have strong opinions about what it might mean, but they don't have a clue what it's actually about."

September 8, 2011 at 11:36 p.m.

• This from Gov. Rick Perry, " If all them old folks would just not need that money they paid into SS this Ponzi scheme and would stop going to the Doctor we would have all these problems."

September 8, 2011 at 11:31 p.m.

• Mitt Perry - peas unto a pod.

September 8, 2011 at 11:14 p.m.

• I thought when Perry would look directly into the camera and stare the viewers down, he was trying to seem stern. He came across as fake and "scripted" to me. I wonder how long he practiced that?

September 8, 2011 at 11:03 p.m.

• I also have to add that Rick Perry looks like a deer in the headlights. Yes Rick, we call this debates. Herman Cain is very annoying with his 9,9,9 plan, it sounds like 666 to me. If you are running for president and have no plan, then don’t run.

September 8, 2011 at 8:51 p.m.

• Mike.
    I love Jon Huntsman. He is the only one I truly like (Sorry Ron Paul/Gary Johnson folks). Unlike Perry, Paul, Buchmann, Huntsman is the only one that isn’t a “chest beating” my way or the hi-way person. It also seems to me that Huntsman is in the wrong party. The GOP debates should at least be more than two hours long and include all of the candidates. I want to see people like Governor Johnson, Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer, Fred Karger, Jimmy McMillan, and Congressman Thaddeus McCotter in the GOP debates.
    With Good ole boy Rick Perry in the race, I will strongly vote for and even campaign for President Barack Obama for a second term. Yes, I said President Barack Obama, NOT PRESIDENT BIDEN, Obuma, Obammy, BO, or any other name calling.
    Mr. Williams

September 8, 2011 at 7:29 p.m.

September 8, 2011 at 5:58 p.m.

• Herman Cain reminded me of a 70s Woody Allen Flick "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask" The scene with the swimmers, where the lost one obvioulsy had no business there.

September 8, 2011 at 5:57 p.m.

• gansoblanco,

I liked Huntsman too, out of those that were on that stage.

September 8, 2011 at 5:02 p.m.

• I think Jon Huntsman is padding his resume for a 2016 run.... He won't decline a VP offer.

September 8, 2011 at 4:34 p.m.

• It was fun. Perry's history has been to avoid debates and it was good to see him enter the ring. The pinata treatment was a bonus. One of my favorite exchanges was Romney acting fatherly and presidential and explaining how Perry had a executive order mandatory std vaccination mulligan and how he had promised that he would never do something like that ever again.

Hate to admit it but I believe I could vote for Huntsman.

September 8, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.