Comments

• Mike.
    You are very welcome and thank you as well. At least you are responding unlike some posters. I am still waiting for an answer from Pilot. ;) Do I want people to be serious? Well if a person is a grown man commenting on a serious topic then that grown man should leave his childish behavior at the door. Sec. Tim Geithner has no business in government and controlling the economic side of things. Why should a citizen trust a man who doesn’t pay any taxes? Tim Geithner, much like Larry Summers, and other major economic leaders only offer theories as solutions. Neither of them have ever run nor own a business and at least been in the private sector. I would urge you to look at Supreme Court nearly all of them are graduates from Ivy League Schools. There is lack of diversity of educational background in the federal government.
    The number one goal for the Democratic Party should be reducing the national debt. Health Care should take second to it. Speaker Pelosi should have made Jobs a goal rather than Health Care. President Obama’s downfall was his role in the Health Care debate. He spent two years on this issue as well as allowing congress to take the ball. The Democrats should at least learn from history 1994. If Pelosi was so great then how come she and her allies was challenged in congressional Dems leadership with the likes of Gabby Gilford and Heath Shuler?
    I consider the Pro-Israeli lobby as treasonous; I would seek to discourage them and other lobbying groups in D.C. Our Constitution doesn’t say we should protect and wet nurse other countries based on religious bias and historical post-Hitler guilt. I do not want a possibility of an American Solider to die over ancient religious disputes. Our foreign policy should be based on protecting freedom of Americans and not being a tool for DOOMSDAY SEEKERS. It is a sin for the Pro-Israeli lobby to lie about President Obama and cherry pick his words about the 1967 borders. These groups have the power to destroy any attempt of the average American citizen to “petition their government”. I say let the people speak first. Let the average person have input with his/her congressman.
    As far as President Barack Obama goes, I would respect him more if he would have done this sooner. I am sorry but he is too late to get mean and angry. When Glenn Beck attacked and mocked his daughter during the oil spill, he should have flew to FOX NEWS and confront Beck. When Sean Hannity was whining about the so-called Rev. Jeremiah Wright, he should confront Hannity over his relationship with NEO-NAZI HAL TURNER.
    I saw the Tea Party candidate against the Speaker Boehner Monday on FOX News. That was scary. This guy is from the Twilight Zone, I mean anyone who doesn’t agree with him are socialist, Marxist, and the like. I hope there are more nut jobs like him running in congressional districts.

September 21, 2011 at 10:46 p.m.

• Writein part 2 of 2

It's not my job to make you like Nancy Pelosi but she is the number one fundraiser for the democratic party, without her we would have a lot less democrats. She is also the first female speaker the house in a former all boys club. That alone says a lot for her mental toughness. Congressional members chose her for a reason. She also passed over 400 bills to the senate where they went to die. No one can say, she didn do her job. Now let me tell you where you are way off course. Health Care has been the number one issue for democrats for a very long time, Nancy Pelosi had nothing to do with that. Health Care was the number one issue for the democratic presidential candidates. The Iraq war and Health Care proposals are what split up candidate Obama and candidate Clinton. The Obama Administration wanted healthcare but they made their mistake when they turned it over to Congress. It was never about a jobs bill vs. health care. The administration thought the stimulus would get jobs and the economy going. She was chosen by her constituents and placed in her position by her peers. I don't have a problem with that.

For the umpteenth time, we cannot bar lobbyist or special interest groups because they are covered by the first amendment..."interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.".. let's agree to take that off the table.

The Pro-Israel lobby, does not have a vote,Congress does, and it's really not that powerful, the Bush administration did not allow Israel to attack Iran. I think most of us agree that Israel is our best ally in the Middle East, but now and then we have to curtail their aggressiveness. There's nothing anti-semantic about that. I agree Bejamin Natanyahu is a arrogant, aggressive leader but he needs our military aid and permission to fly over Iraq. Even the Bush administration did not give 'em that because we have troops in Iraq, not to mention the price of oil would skyrocket. We found another way to deal with Iran's nuclear arms. Someone placed a flash drive with a computer worm called Stuxnet into their computers; that put a serious dent in their nuclear program. We are denying it, but who knows?

This where you and I agree somewhat. President Obama is taking off the gloves but he's not coming after talk radio, instead he's showing the difference between the parties. He's doing his impression of FDR by saying that if standing up for the middle class is " class war fare " he will gladly embrace that title....A Tea Party candidate running for John Boehner's seat called the speaker a socialist...lol...How far right do you have to be?

September 21, 2011 at 11:08 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 21, 2011 at 10:36 a.m.

• Writein

Thank you for responding, having said that, it might take two or three postings, because of the character limitation, but I'm going to try to spell it out for you. Mind you, it's just my opinion because I don't pretend to represent the forum, old people, Democrats or liberals.

I assume you want everyone to be serious, but this is an open forum where people can vent, joke around, exaggerate, lie, troll, and there's not a lot we can do about that. I started my blog by acknowledging the frustration, anger, and uncertainty that's going on because we are in a weak economy. People have always blamed the president, but they also find other scapegoats. It's only natural.

As you know, it wasn't a normal transition because President Obama inherited two wars (off budget) a huge deficit left by his predecessor, and we were losing 500,000 to 700,000 a month. The decision early on was to continue with the Bush administration bailout of Wall Street. Timothy Geithner was working for the New York fed when the 2008 financial crisis hit. Geithner was then on the ground floor of those negotiations, so he was the ideal man with the expertise to prop up Wall Street. He solidified that decision by retaining the Fed Chairman for the same reasons. I think it was a good choice for that time. He might be replaced if Obama gets reelected because Geithner may have violated a direct order from the president to shut down Citibank. Larry Summers was one of many financial advisers, but the Obama Administration realized Mr. Summer 's strategy is out of date because this is an economy that will not recover using conventional methods from the past..i.e., we no longer have a manufacturing base,employers are using more technology, and we have a lot of workers who are not trained for the jobs the future.

Vice President Joe Biden is a tremendous asset for the president. His 30 years of experience as a legislator, his foreign policy expertise, and his jovial personality serves the president well. Doing the debt crisis, Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell bypassed his old friend Harry Reid and President Obama but instead went straight Joe Biden to broker a deal. You can't discount past relationships and know how. The president didn't listen to Joe Biden's plan for pulling a majority of troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and just using Special Forces. -Biden's plan will eventually win out in the second term.

People that solve problems come from all walks of life, a degree from an Ivy League school is not something to be mocked or dismissed.

The Hatch Act prevents legislators from using their office or committees for political reasons. The DNC and RNC recruit new members on their own time. They can’t even use the government e-mail system. Not a problem.

September 21, 2011 at 10:08 a.m.

• Mike.
    I assume that you have been reading my posts from last night. Where should I start? I guess I’ll do the generation thing first. If the older generation is not applying WISDOM to the problem, then that generation is forfeiting their responsibilities. I’ll give you two examples one on this board and the other national politics.
    You have a person, a poster, who made an ignorant comment by calling certain people DUMB because he didn’t agree with whoever is in the White House plus saying that not enough Palefaces voted in 2008. Then he complains about Social Security, but yet backs a candidate, Ron Paul, who will destroy Social Security. On top of that, this person referred to me as a “politician” when I provided an idea to help pay for Social Security. I wish that person would at least think before he types and think of something besides complaining. Yes, I am referring to Pilot.. Where is the wisdom in such comments from him?
    Now on to national leadership, I do not know whether you read my exchange with BS Spotter a few weeks ago, so I’ll repeat them for you. My problem with President Obama is that have a strong solid following and popularity, but yet he tapped his Cabinet from previous administrations and that from Wall Street/the Establishment. I could understand Hillary Clinton being Sec of State or Robert Gates being Defense Sec, but why select Larry Summers, Tim Geithner, and have Joe Biden for V.P.? Where are the people that actually solve problems and people who have been there on street level? Tim Geithner is Wall Street, Larry Summers is Ivy League, and Biden is a part of the Establishment.
    Let’s take the Congressional leadership for example. There should be NO Position within Congress for elections like the Campaign Committee Chair. Congress should be there for governing, not recruiting candidates for future elections. The problem with leaders like Nancy Pelosi (and Newt Gingrich) is that that they are from safe areas and have been there FAR TOO LONG. They can do anything they want to without any serious opposition back home. If Nancy Pelosi was a Speaker from Ohio, Texas, Missouri, or from a purple state, the Heath Care bill would have been taken a back seat for a JOBS BILL. She would have challenge the White House to try something else, the same way then-Senate Majority leader Trent Lott refuse to give President George W. Bush or Vice president Cheney everything.
    The Pro-Israel lobby, in my opinion, has equal the power of Congress. This is why I favor probation of lobbyists/ lobby groups in Washington D.C. There is a scary assumption that if a person is not a fan of Israel, its policies, or even its leaders, then he or she automatically hates Jews. If John McCain or Sarah Palin were President with Israeli PM. Benjamin Netanyahu we would be fighting the Iranians right now. Netanyahu is a warmonger much like McCain.

September 20, 2011 at 10 p.m.

• Pilot

You have stated that anyone who believes in a deity or voted for President Obama is not very smart. I'm guilty in both cases, but I believe those that are into hero worship will be disappointed at some point.

You call the president a rookie but that term can be used for any first time president because there's no training or another job like that ,where you have to manage foreign and domestic policy. The run for president is an ego driven job,no matter who the candidate is ,because that person thinks he or she is the one to run this country. From what I have read, President Obama did not have the managerial skills necessary to control the know-it-all egomaniacs he had in his administration, but we were headed for a depression and those fellas knew where the bodies were buried. Even a seasoned veteran like President Clinton was taken in by the same people.

In another thread you posted " in the next election, a lot of palefaces that were too busy or complacent to vote last time, will grow a pair and cast a ballot. The big question is whether the ones that won last time are still that enthusiastic about the rookie they sent to the mound. Problem is, their bullpen is pretty thin at the moment too."

We had a huge turnout in 2008, are you saying that the reason Obama won, was the lack of white people voting? Can you show me some exit polls? Unofficially, we still support President Obama because 80% of democrats will still vote for Barack Obama. The bull pen is not thin at the moment, the manager knows how a tsunami in Japan, a devastating economy in Europe, and a Congress who has a 11% approval has a lot to do with our struggling economy. All they can do is correct the mistakes they made and carry their message of contrast to the American people.

You said only hope was for Ron Paul to do end run around corporate America. He is for the same policies of giving tax cuts to the wealthy and cutting corporate tax rates to zero. He is a disciple of Ayn Rand and a couple of debates ago, a debate moderator proved that he is not the one to lead us.The moderator asked him for a plan that would get through BOTH houses of Congress. Ron Paul stood there with a "deer in the headlights" look because he is a free market fundamentalist, an ideologue whose "laissez faire" views will not resonate with either party. I don't have anything unkind to say about Ron Paul ,but he has never won a state wide office because you have to appeal to more than one side.

September 20, 2011 at 10:43 a.m.

• Writein

I forgot to respond to a post you made about your generation being better equipped to handle our situation.

I don't think I'm going on the limb, by saying all us old-timers were all young and thought we had all the answers at one time or another, and all the old relics were just in the way.

I'll give you two examples of why veteran legislators are important. They normally work behind the scenes and don't seek the limelight like the young whippersnappers do. They use that limelight when they need to.

During the debt limit crisis,Speaker Boehner called in a couple of freshmen GOP troublemakers to his office. He told them to lock the door behind them because they were not leaving until they settled the disagreements. He told them that he had a week and 1/2 of cigarettes in the drawer. They settled their differences.

During the healthcare debate, the blue dog democrats were getting out of line,so then Speaker Pelosi, told them to vote their conscience but she would use her conscience when it came time to picking committee members and chairmanships.

My point, it's not the age if you're willing to evolve and change with the times, but on the other side, we can say we've been there, the young people can't.

September 20, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.

• Writein

I'm not disputing that pro Israeli political forces exist inside the beltway, who would like to see us attack Iran, but they're not as powerful as the United States Congress.

Even when President George W. Bush had all the neoconservatives in his administration, they knew congressional approval would be needed to attack Iran. They also knew that they would be denied.

I'm reading the Dick Cheney memoir where he states in 2007, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia "“the president would be impeached if he took military action against Iran.”

September 20, 2011 at 9:58 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 20, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.

• Mike

Snib is right becuase the Pro-Isreali lobby in Washington have everyone in their back pockets.

September 19, 2011 at 7:09 p.m.

• He and palin would have fulfilled the 2012 Mayan prophecy

September 19, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

• Siub

Perhaps, but I don't think so, because Iran is a huge country. Attacking a country like that would have taken congressional approval or he would've taken the risk of being impeached. I don't think Congress would have given that authority.. There's no doubt that it was always in the back of his mind.

Who knows, your guess is as good as mine.

September 19, 2011 at 4:31 p.m.

• "Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri, introduced legislation that would have declared the offspring of military personnel stationed overseas are qualified to be president."..Note, read this unbinding resolution that was supported by democrats and republicans.

It was never a campaign issue for the democrats and as I said John McCain as president, would not have had to hold a press conference to show his birth certificate. That is a first...Other presidential have been question such as Barry Goldwater (he was born in territory of Arizona) did not have to provide proof.

I don't know, ultra right wing conservatives may have an insignificant scoring system all their own.

"Senator John McCain's lifetime rating of 82.3% from the American Conservative Union is often cited as proof that he is conservative.

Here is a closer look at that 82.3 rating."

John McCain had a rating of 96% in 1994,...91% in 1995...., 95% in 1996 and as low as 65% in 2002.

That just means he’s not an ideologue.

You’re right it certainly didn't impress me but I was making a minor point.

September 19, 2011 at 2:32 p.m.

• He would not have had to publicly display his birth certificate because that had already been an issue during the campaign. The Democrats strove mightily to argue that since he was born to American parents in the Panama Canal Zone, admittedly at the time an American territory, that he was not a "natural born citizen" and therefore ineligible to be President. No one had to pry his birth certificate out of him. Ring any bells?

Where you get McCain's "...conservative voting record is near 90%..." I do not know, as that does not agree with any scoring of his voting record that I have ever seen. Maybe it just LOOKS conservative to you; that would figure.

September 19, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.