Comments

• Everyone exaggerates- even you and I. We do it to support our position and opinions.

As for fraud - I saw a lady in front of me Sunday use the LoneStar card - fact is - I don't know whether she was beating the system. With a chicken and two loaves of bread - I would rather think she was feeding her children.

Fraud is all around us - honesty is not important in the USA today.

October 3, 2011 at 8:25 a.m.

• Newcowboyintown

A little role reversal.

Question: Do you think anyone would lie or exaggerate about potential welfare fraud incident?

Question: Do you think a corporation would place a sign stating " the unemployed need not apply?" ....meaning that if you have been unemployed for six months or more, they won't take your application.

Question: Where is fraud more prevalent? Is it welfare fraud, Wall Street, banks, insurance or defense spending? I'm talking dollar amount.

The reason I'm asking these questions in just to show how people's emotions can be manipulated. This blog was about Health Care but was turned around to food stamps. If it's that rampant,then let's put a specific dollar mark on it, investigate and support the need for more investigators or do away with the safety net altogether because if we don't do that these people will always be under the microscope of gossip.

We have some major problems such as spending two billion dollars a week in Afghanistan while Americans are suffering with more than 14% unemployment. Wall Street devastated our country, yet no one has been hauled off in handcuffs but if we continue to keep our eyes focused like a laser beam on the less important stuff, the major problems will be ignored as always.

Have a good night

September 29, 2011 at 4:59 p.m.

• Newcowboyintown

I wasn't really tying welfare abuse to any president but wondering if you were blaming this president for the recent rise in food stamps recipients. It's a common notion out there.

I don't know for certain how much welfare abuse there was before the downturn; perhaps you can provide some substantiated written data or a link. That would be interesting to check out.

The good paying jobs that are open right now do not have enough qualified people according to several corporate CEOs. I'm talking about jobs across the United States not and one at the local McDonalds. I never take my assumptions or observations as fact.

8.7 million jobs were lost since the recession began and and one to two million jobs were lost after the recovery from that recession.

First of all, we will be at around 9% for another year or so and the new norm will probably be ~7% because we are in a world financial crisis. Even if our demand picks up in our country, that doesn't mean that other countries can afford our exports.

I lost my notes but don't quote me on this I think there are only about 171 million jobs out there. I'm not willing to place a percentage on those that are unwilling to work because I simply don't have the facts and I want to maintain some sort of credibility.

September 29, 2011 at 4:11 p.m.

• We will have to agree to disagree.

I never said it was Obama or Bush or Clinton - dishonest people don't give a hoot about who is President. Frankly voting against all the encumbents just makes me feel better.

As for unemployment - there are certainly a lot on welfare that date back well before the down turn. I remember when unemployment was 4 to 5 % and you could not give a job away. Tells me there is a hard core 4 to 5% who just won't work. So is unemployment at 9% or or 4% if you subtract out the 5% that just won't work?

September 29, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.

• Newcowboyintown

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said and you are most certainly entitled to your opinion.

It won't change at the voting booth because we already have a welfare system where it's two years and you're out. Welfare reform was a bipartisan act. You can't on one hand cry for welfare fraud investigations, then layoff welfare investigators ,in your first budget cuts. Whether you want to believe it or not; these people are human beings with the same lawful rights of an investigation, which takes months and money. I don't think any living American likes welfare fraud unless they are the ones abusing the system. If your insinuating that because more people are now on food stamps, it's because of President Obama, then you are forgetting he wasn't even in office when the 2008 financial crisis hit. The administration did add food stamps and extension of unemployment benefits for two important reasons; you might not agree with that. The administration wanted to lay down the floor of suffering for those who would be affected the most. They knew the poor would be hit the hardest and the second would be the unemployed. It was in there stimulus package but all was not lost because for every dollar spent on food stamps provides about $1.70 in economic benefit for every dollar spent,and unemployment compensation it's about $1.34..Read more.

“Moody's economists also say that food stamps have the most stimulativ­e impact on the economy.

Sometimes I'm amused when people say able bodied people need to go to work because I bet most of them would love to but we have about 25% unemployed or under employed, related to the financial crisis. Are there some taking unemployment benefits that shouldn't, I wouldn't be surprised if they wer,e but we have laws in place to take care of that. I bet most would trade places with you,in a heart beat.

The republican and democratic solutions for Health Care are already out there. Republicans want to repeal the current health care bill thereby losing parents keeping adult children on their insurance until they're 26 years old and not being denied for pre existing conditions. If the republicans were successful at repealing the health care law (highly unlikely) their only solution to date have been buying private insurance across state lines,tort reform. and Health Savings Accounts. Democrats would keep the one we have now but would constantly make the appropriate fixes. Health Care would not have been a major part of the debates if not for the current law being challenged in the Supreme Court sometime in June. This is why, Mitt Romney is now defending what he implemented in Massachusetts; the individual mandate.

September 29, 2011 at 3:14 p.m.

• I think there is welfare fraud - there are people receiving welfare that can work - just won't. I also don't like it when a four wheel drive monster truck that most people can't get in or out of pulls into a handicap parking space and a young person hangs the handicap tag and then bounds out and runs into the place of business.

We live with a great number of people who abuse the system, lie to the system, and all that probably costs me more tax dollars.

I will do my best to change it at the voting booth.

Mike, you are right - health care will certainly be an issue in the coming campaigns - probably for the wrong reason. Not because we need to fix the system so that people can get and keep health care - but because they don't want to do it their way. I don't have the answer - I would like to hear what the candidate is really going to try and accomplish - rather than what the other guy did or didn't do.

September 29, 2011 at 2:37 p.m.

• "The term "welfare queen" is most often associated with Ronald Reagan who brought the idea to a national audience. During his 1976 presidential campaign, Reagan would tell the story of a woman from Chicago's South Side who was arrested for welfare fraud:

"She has eighty names, thirty addresses, twelve Social Security cards and is collecting veteran's benefits on four non-existing deceased husbands. And she is collecting Social Security on her cards. She's got Medicaid, getting food stamps, and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income is over $150,000."

Since Reagan never named a particular woman, the description can be viewed as an example of dramatic hyperbole.

Reagan’s use of the term was related to a growing unease among New Right politicians about the expansion of the welfare apparatus. Touching on the cornerstones of American political philosophy (i.e., individualism and egalitarianism), the New Right sought to form a top-down coalition with big business and white working-class voters to undo the popular Great Society programs of the 1960s.

Is th is there welfare fraud? Absolutely, right along with all types of fraud but there's a reason personal stories are taken with a grain of salt. When a someone posts something about welfare and then goes to extremes describing his incident; on a blog totally unrelated to the subject;that person is on a mission to bring light to his obsession....It kind of reminds of the nutcase who paid big bucks at a fundraiser the other night;just to call President Obama the anti Christ.

BigJ likes to say he wasn't born last night ,but I would like to add "I can hear the dog whistles."

September 29, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.

• Dick Tracey?

September 29, 2011 at 1:35 p.m.

• I've got to give it to Mitt Romney because his campaign(although they are all over the map) is trying to stay on top of things. Yesterday ,Mitt Romney told Sean Hannity that the "individual mandate" was a conservative idea and he gave credit to the Heritage Foundation. To my surprise he also gave credit to Newt Gingrich, because he was one of the first people to come up with the idea...Isn't that letting someone else aboard on a sinking ship?

It does have a familiar ring, it's conservative until President Obama adopts it.

September 29, 2011 at 10:40 a.m.

• GOP_LoveChild

I love your one liners; funny stuff.
    I forgot all about the farm subsidies, thanks for that piece of info.

September 29, 2011 at 10 a.m.

• gasobalnco

I really don't know how this blog became one about welfare but it's the second day and I'll roll with the punches...:-)

You don't really expect the HEB shopping welfare junior fraud investigators, to accept actual data,do you? Their mind has been made up for 30 years and nothing's changing it.

Last night. I went online to see what a Lone Star card looked like. It's a plastic card with a white background and red and blue lettering. The junior investigators probably don't know that you can now design your credit and debit cards making it harder are to detect but not to the these profilers. They do have some good eyes but I suspect every time they go grocery shopping they look for the obvious profile in their head.

1. Darker skinned people
    2. Poor people not wearing the latest outfits...Lord help you to go to the store after you just cut your yard or finished cleaning your house.
    3. People speaking, OMG, Spanish.
    4. A woman meeting all the criteria above and has more than two children.

You can use the same profile for emergency room use etc.

It is funny though because when the U.S. lost $9 billion in Iraq funding...Not a peep

Savings and investment assets (apart from retirement savings) lost $1.2 trillion and pension assets lost $1.3 trillion. Taken together, these losses total a staggering $8.3 trillion from the 2008 financial crisis...Not one arrest or a peep from the junior investigators.

An on and on ;everyone is aware of fraud in the private sector and government, but some only focus on Class warfare because it's popular and gets the most hostile reaction from their crowd.

September 29, 2011 at 9:54 a.m.

• Good morning arlewill always nice to hear from you.

First, sorry to hear that your medical cost has increased $2000 annually and that you lost your family Dr., No doubt, the new law affected some. In two months it will be a year since I've been on Medicare, but I have not seen an increase in my cost and I've had the same Dr. For 20 years.I love the NO REFERRALS NEEDED in Medicare.

I agree it is a flawed piece of legislation but I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bathwater because insurance costs were skyrocketing way before the Affordable Health Care was even thought of. Yesterday, I heard a that part of the new cost rise was due to a miscalculation by the insurance companies; thinking that their costs were going up. I don't think we would have lowered costs with health savings accounts, tort reform, and buying across state lines. I think making a deal with Big Pharma prior to any legislation was the biggest mistake the administration made because allowing individuals being able to import from Canada would have been more cost productive. They could of least use the VA plan of buying their drugs in bulk to save cost. That's just one of the big drivers of health care costs.

As I've stated the before the $500 billion was actually a reduction in the future growth of spending over 10 years, not a slashing of the current budget. We were subsidizing Medical Advantage for 10 million people who lost their extra goodies like gym memberships and extra reading glasses. I've received more preventative care and a cut on my prescription bills since the bill was passed.

It's amusing to me how much politics plays into this because on one hand the republicans accuse the democrats of not wanting to cut Medicare as a bipartisan measure to reduce the deficit in the debt. On the other hand they accuse the democrats (as Michelle Bachmann says) they STOLE $500 billion from Medicare.:-)

As always, we don't agree 100% on everything but we're not at each others throats because of it.

I hope things get better for you and I certainly don't blame you for being angry because this current legislation is not working out for you.

Have a good day

September 29, 2011 at 9:22 a.m.

• Mike
    I think ObamaCare in total was very bad legislation. I think a couple of the benefits were good but it did raise the price for the people that are paying insurance premiums. I am still upset about cutting Medicare by $500 billion to pay for half of the costs.
    My out-of-pocket costs for healthcare for a family of three has risen from $18,000 annually to more than $20,000 annually since the bill was passed. I am on the third doctor since the bill was passed. The first one just closed up and left town and the second one closed up and went to work at an army hospital.
    Senior Citizens are being squezzed hard to pay for half of ObamaCare.

September 29, 2011 at 7:44 a.m.

• Ganso
    Like the $100 million+ Victoria's Red County right-wingers raked in over the last 10 years. This roster comes straight from Victoria's republican local donors list.

September 28, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.

• Mike-

You need to be more attentive at the grocery store because it's fun to follow the money. Agriculture receives tax payer funded subsidies to produce the product and then tax payer subsidies to their customers to purchase the product....oh yeah.....the Retailer nets a neat profit for selling the product. The beauty of the setup is the poor folks that get the food are taking advantage of the taxpayers. The producers and retailers that actually cash the gubmint checks? Why they're the job creators that need to get the gubmint off their backs. :D

Propose slashing food stamps significantly and see who screams the loudest. My money will be on corporate agriculture.

While some folks will holler about increases in medical costs no one wanting to be elected (or re elected) is going to mention cost control.

September 28, 2011 at 5:49 p.m.

• Things might even get humorous if Chris Christie throws his donut in the ring.
    A full scale example of 50% of the health care cost issue not discussed.

September 28, 2011 at 5:16 p.m.

• Actually, I mentioned Ed Post once on your blog and once in my response today. Nevertheless the similarities are there, so I mentioned it...:-)

After 30 years of hearing the wild exaggerations, I became immune.
    My friends aren't busybodies either and are not trying to promote their agenda besides even thou we are retired ,we can think of a lot more productive things to do. As I said is been mentioned before in the forum, that doesn't make it true, and as I've said the myths have been around for ages, and my grand-kids will probably hear them. Do your civic duty, take out your phone snap a picture and report it. After all we have ~ 310 million people in this country, about 47 million are on food stamps( some through no fault of their own) and one or two encounters of perhaps welfare fraud ,is certainly not representative of all 50 states...that's unless you have substantiated data to back up your claims.

I have and read anything about people wanting me to pay for bus rides. I made a comment early yesterday but that's all it was. I can want all the troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq but I can't do anything about that nor can I do anything about free bus rides. I leave that up to the bus administrator, the city, and the college. If is not feasible,so be it. a comment does not have to go through the filter of your eyes; it just the comment; nothing more nothing less.

The Health Care Law takes 66 2/3 votes to override a presidential veto. Repealing the law without replacing it will only make matters worse; just think what it would be to tell all those adult children that they will no longer be covered and telling the same story to those people who have been accepted even though they had pre-existing condition.

September 28, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.

• lol...."loading up her 2009 Licoln Navigator that's rolling on 22" custom wheels"

That's an upgrade from the old Cadillacs I used to hear about.... Those unbelievable stories have been around for years. Nobody really believes them, in fact I used to work with a guy that would always tell these kind a stories and we encouraged him, so we could get our belly laughs.

When I go into a grocery store (and I've had this discussion before) with some friends(they agree) where I tell them that I don't notice what the person in front of me buys or what they use to purchase the items. I'm not a busy body and and it just might be my old age ,but I cannot tell you what two persons in front of me pays with, what language they are speaking, how many kids they have and I certainly don't follow them outside to check out their vehicle. I'm just trying to get my small items and leave the store.

Those personal stories work on certain people who want their ears tickled.

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.

• You know Ed Post had a similar personal story(that cannot be verified) and has nothing to do with what I just wrote about. ..Just saying...:-) The blog wasn't about scapegoats but I will summarize it for you.

1. The constitutionality of the individual mandate.
    2. The politics of the issue
    3. The recent rise of premiums and initial expected complaints.

I didn't go into the 35% credit to those businesses that provide health it care for their employees to offset cost,or 52,000,000 people that are uninsured.

September 28, 2011 at 11:05 a.m.