Comments

• I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lots of people in power DO NOT want President Obama to get reelected, so no telling what they are going to unleash to try and stop it.

February 21, 2012 at 7:37 p.m.

• ********* Crickets************
    That's the sound of the doomsayers when the DOW hit 13,000 today.

The economist stated the reasons for the milestone

1. Greece/Europe did not collapse
    2. Economic  data in U.S. Improving
    3. Central banks are releasing money

It may go the other way as some are hoping but it may be a good sign.

February 21, 2012 at 6:47 p.m.

• I am convinced that the largest oil consumers sit behind a desk and collect a huge paycheck for every penny of the price increase we are gouged.

February 21, 2012 at 1:38 p.m.

• It hasn't been following "supply & demand" for a long time...I remember reading a repory from the Energy Information Agency that our gasoline consumption is down but yet we still get high prices...Iran,speculators,world demand elsewhere?

February 21, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.

• Still got to ask. When oil prices skyrocket has any one ever heard of an oil company going bankrupt? If the price jumps a $1 per bbl do they just pass that added cost through or is there a small fee added for all that hard work it must be to change prices?

February 21, 2012 at 11:55 a.m.

• I often wonder what the cost would be to do my roof. We are not huge energy consumers. Would the panels produce excess that I could sell back to the electric company?
    But, then I think about the softball-size hail we had back in around 2003, and know something like that would ruin them. Wonder if they came up with something to place over the panels to protect them from things falling from the sky?
    On the other hand, wind is a big thing where I live too. It never stops blowing here

February 21, 2012 at 11:23 a.m.

• Born
    Thanks for the info.

That's what the anti-government anything crowd overlook... The fed government can take the lead by installing solar energy on tribal lands(and they have) at military bases and they using the Navy.
    The Navy made another leap into renewable energy integration Jan. 18 with groundbreaking on a new 118 acre solar farm,the SunPower Corporation 13.78 megawatt solar photovoltaic power system in China Lake, Calif.

The GOP wants to talk about who is Catholic enough,or conservative enough and all the liberties we are supposedly losing. I was shaking my head in amazement as I heard Evangelist Franklin Graham call Obama religious views into question,this morning... When did we become a nation where you had to meet one standard?

February 21, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

• IMHO, the only way this Country will ever lose it's reliance on foreign oil, or any oil for that matter, will be to go to renewable energy that is "made" right here in America and not be subject to the oil companies greed and speculator's manipulation.

February 21, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.

• I was on Facebook last night talking to me daughter, who lives in California. They are looking for a different apartment and she sent me a google map of the area where they are looking at one on Saturday. I zoomed in and did the Satellite option. Most of those buildings in that area had solar panels on the roofs. Do that Countrywide in the hot sunny areas, and it would make a huge difference.

February 21, 2012 at 10:50 a.m.

• Born

You have been fighting this battle of gas prices for several years and your research shows you have done your homework. Gasoline prices and presidential politics has been around since the 70s that I know of.

You're absolutely right but I might add that oil companies like the profit margins they are enjoying, why would they spend their own money to build expensive refineries? They are enjoying the status quo.

We're going to have to sit down and have a comprehensive energy plan with all parties in attendance including the environmentalists. We're going to be on fossil fuels for at least another 30 years but that doesn't mean we can't seek an alternative fuels. Sure, initially they will be expensive like all new products are, some won't pan out, but until it's proven that CO2 is not a heat trapping pollutant , we will have to consider climate change initiatives.

BTW This morning I was reminded about the gas tax holiday of the 2008 presidential campaign. Remember John McCain and Hillary Clinton wanted to use the tax holiday gimmick but President Obama was mocked for talking about conserving energy(airing up tires) them and gas prices came down and the issue went away.

Yesterday, Newt Gingrich tried to mock the president's energy plan by saying that the new GMC Colt doesn't have a place to install a gun rack. Its backward thinking like that that keeps this nation on fossil fuels...On the other hand if gasoline prices are high in September and October it will be a problem for the incumbent because the outsider always seems to have the answer..:-)

Overnight Greece got a$172 billion bailout, so that takes the “be really scared" tactic away from the doomsayers for now.

February 21, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.

• Writein,

It's not going to help the prices to drill more here. The "world market" does not want lower prices and they will do what it takes to keep them high. The oil companies in this country will not keep their oil here if it means lowering the prices. They'll just export to the highest bidder.
    When there is a glut world-wide, then, and only then, will the prices start falling.
    How many times have the Saudi's, or one of the others, cut production when the prices started going too low for them?

February 21, 2012 at 7:59 a.m.

• Born2Bme.
    2008 was a bad year for me as well in everything. I remember the gas prices being closing over 4 dollars as I commuted from home to work every day. I have to say this as well, the Green Hippie Movement within the Democratic Party is a part of the blame. We should be having more oil drilling and at least two refineries.

February 21, 2012 at 1:44 a.m.

• I remember 2008 very well. My father died in February of 2008 and I did a couple of months of driving back and forth to Colorado County trying to get her moved out of her house, and then getting it ready to be sold.
    I told everyone I knew that I though that the gas prices would come down just in time for the election, and guess what, that is exactly what happened. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

February 20, 2012 at 11:33 p.m.

• Sources don't matter. The basic info is from the same source. You saying that the gas prices weren't $4/gallon before it went down to where it was on Jan. 1, 2009?

February 20, 2012 at 10:56 p.m.

• Born2beme, is your info from the same source as your mandates... LoL!!!
    The roses don't smell as good as you guys thought, now does it? You guys really need to stop playing this second fiddle crap. Now who falling in-line there party? Dang that hin-sight sucks...

February 20, 2012 at 10:24 p.m.

• and corresponding gas prices:

February 20, 2012 at 9:44 p.m.

• "High fuel prices 91% increase since Jan. 2009"

Yeah, but you forgot to mention what happened "before" that date. Here's the story:

February 20, 2012 at 9:39 p.m.

• "Fuel prices up 91% since 2009" must be the fault of all those Republican Oil Companies CEOs making such small profits. Thank goodness they are spending part of thier R.O.I. to save the planet.

February 20, 2012 at 9:02 p.m.

• The bumper stickers should say 'Dead Osama, Relected Obama".

February 20, 2012 at 8:56 p.m.

• "I think the big question is what in the heck is president Obama going to run on?"

I'm not Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum.

That's the first thing that comes to my mind.

February 20, 2012 at 8:19 p.m.

• The GOP knows that but they pass that info to their uniformed followers...lol
    As I've said before ,gasoline prices fluctuate but no credit is given when prices goes down...:-)....,,our refineries are running at max....If that's the best they have ,it's going to be easier than I thought.....The GOP sees an uptick in our economy,so they now want to talk about the social issues.

Ever notice how locally,the praises aren't being sung for Santorum,Gingrich,or Romney ?

February 20, 2012 at 6:44 p.m.

• I'm thinking that most Americans realize why the gas prices are spiking now and most hope the Iran sanctions work, instead of the U.S. being forced into another war that they do not want.
    Either way, war or sanctions, the prices will go up and it has not a danged thing to do with President Obama's actions.

February 20, 2012 at 6:28 p.m.

• I think the big question is what in the heck is president Obama going to run on?
    High fuel prices 91% increase since Jan. 2009
    Economics, math from another planet
    Green energy ½ of billion $’s of lost taxpayer money
    And the list goes on and on!!!
    LOL!! This president f---ts and you guys small roses…

February 20, 2012 at 5:40 p.m.

• Rick Santorum said "Barack Obama's agenda is based on 'some phony theology, not a theology based on the Bible"... That's OK,That's Rick but I'm assuming his small staff thought that was too incendiary.... There such a thing as walking things back in politics but Santorum took it to a different level..... He went on CBS and said he was talking about the environment... This is the year 2012,Rick, we have all kinds of little machines that recorded and filmed your speech. Then he said "wasn't talking about the president's religious faith, but his liberal ideology."... I think it's your 19th century ideology that will doom you,Rick Santorum. If you're still talking about something controversial you said Saturday, you're losing the message war.

February 20, 2012 at 3:46 p.m.

• Rick Sanctimonious and Sara Palin would be a dream ticket. Then if we can just encourage the GOP to include flogging for blasphemy and other acts of Godless behavior I am convinced the earth will change the direction of spin to suit the rest of the conservative/puritan groups and they will return the United States of America to 1776 and they can fix all those bothersome problems with the Bill of Rights..

February 20, 2012 at 3:12 p.m.

• Oh yes,Sarah Palin would be a Christmas present in November.

The luckiest people in advertising has to be the one making ads for the WH....All they have to do is use the nightly news.

February 20, 2012 at 3:05 p.m.

• The strongest argument the GOP has against Obama is an economic one but with the slightest economic upturn they bolt down the tired old social conservative rabbit holes of contraception/abortion and gay marriage to stir up the red button set. Makes for great theater without a doubt: the congessional contraceptive copay investigation assembles a crew of distintiguished pious old white men for expert testimony, permitting the much reviled Nancy Pelosi to have the best line, "Where's the women! Duh!" YOU CAN'T MAKE STUFF LIKE THIS UP!

Just when you think it can't get any weirder Santorum pronounces that prenatal testing is a major cause of abortion (I actually turned away from the computer, walked over, and stood in front of the television and said to my RN wife, "Did he just say that?! DID HE JUST SAY WHAT I THOUGHT HE SAID!")

The Party that promises to get gubmint out of people's lives never ceases to delight and amuse.

Forget Bush Mike. My fingers are crossed for Governor Palin to step in and rescue the convention.

Please.Please.Please.

February 20, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.