Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 25, 2012 at 10:17 p.m.

• Mike, I'll bet it is even difficult for our national security people to determine who is running things in those places. Who is running things in Iraq now? Is it the government we helped install? Or is it the hard liner clerical factions that really wield the influence. Gorbachev once said he thought it foolish to think that we could bull-doze democracy in those places. Hind sight looks like he is right. I think our leaders whether democrat or republican have to sell a war on on our desire for humanity and the hopes of replacing regimes with democracy. But at the end of the day we go to those places to retard their ability to vaporize us and our friends. Also, keeping those places manageable or stable helps us and our friends economies remain somewhat sane. Even if America did not need Iranian oil, someone would buy it. Who knows maybe Iran will drop their nuclear ambitions. Iran gets a lot of press lately on their grandstanding in their nuclear facilities. I think Ron Paul is off the reservation on this concept. He is like a college professor that has read his own book to many times. He continues to espouse the libertarian view that there is no proof and it is none of our business. Maybe there is no proof, but the moment there is, I don't think we should hesitate. The unfortunate thing is, I think the only thing we get out of these conflicts is to live to fight another day. But living to fight another day is important. Some would say, would you send your kid. No I would not. But I would go. I have heard American Generals say that we have the best force in the world because we are all volunteers. Thanks for listening to my rant, at home with the flu tonight. Mike , thanks for your blog. It does tickle the brain and I find it the most interesting one in the paper.

February 25, 2012 at 9:46 p.m.

• neighbor

You made some good points and it's in accordance to an article I read this morning in the Houston chronicle,titled " Not easy for presidents to say I'm sorry ." President Obama assured the Afghan president,Hamid Karzia that "the error was inadvertent" and we would take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. As you say it doesn't take much to set off the the illiterate farmers, so it should be pretty easy to avoid making that mistake which led to 20 people being killed including two U.S. soldiers and another two were killed yesterday. If the Afghan president can defuse the situation, the apology is a small price to pay.
    The article went on to say that throughout history American presidents had been reluctant to issue an apology including President Reagan when Congress issued an apology to the Japanese -Americans who were imprisoned in camps during WWII. President Bush had to apologize for the abuses of Abu Ghraib, and there wasn't an outcry when those two presidents issued an apology.

I also agree Iran wants to produce long range missiles but I don't really know who's in charge, the ruling Mullahs, President,Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or the Royal Army.. It could be a combination of all three.

February 25, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.

• Holy Smokes that was the best yet Mike. LOL!
    What exactly are you provong by posting the Bush apology all over the place? That you are a good copier and paster?
    What? Does that have some signifigance?
    Hilariously predictable. LMAO!

I'm still finding it funny that you dared to insinuate someone else might be "Craving attention and Self-Righteous". That's good stuff!

February 25, 2012 at 3:59 a.m.

• We should demand partners when protecting the world.

February 24, 2012 at 11:22 p.m.

• Even though hard to digest, it was a good tactical move to apologize for burning Quran's on a military base. Bad tactical move to burn Quran's in the middle east. The middle east heirarchy of dictators could care less. That just falls right into their hands of throwing gas on the fire that keeps their people incited. The dictators like who rule Iran operate the most cruel and oppressive governments in the world. I read in the Houston Chronicle this week that an Iranian publicly converted to Christianity and has now been sentenced to death. When all people know is oppression, they lash out where they can. We don't need to make things worse by insulting their religion. I don't think sanctions are going to work in Iran. Their dictator responded last week to economic sanctions by retaliating with the threat of cutting off oil exports to European countries. The dictator will cut his nose to spite his face. Unfortunately, I think the dictator will not rest until he has a hot ICBM. I think the US will have to get an international coalition an intercede at some point. I am tired of going it alone though. There should be many countries that are willing to step up and help pick up the tab. The US seems to take it on the chin the most when helping to protect the world. We should deman

February 24, 2012 at 11:17 p.m.

• (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush has apologised to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and promised prosecution of a U.S. soldier accused of using a copy of the Koran for target practice, Iraq said on Tuesday.

Bush apologised in a telephone call on Monday with Maliki, who told him the incident had humiliated and angered Iraq's largely Muslim population, the cabinet said in a statement.

"The American president apologised on behalf of the United States ... promising to present the soldier to the courts," it said.

Bush apologises over Koran shooting | Reuters

February 24, 2012 at 10:53 p.m.

• Craving attention? Self Righteous?? Interesting that "you" brought that up. LOL!

Seriously, you are pretty funny guys.

I do have news from Riverside. There are still very few cars parking in the new lots. Well I should say cars that are using the actual park. The cars who's owners are going to the pumphouse are using the new spots a great deal.

Even better news... Riverside Golf Course will be getting some work done to one of their 9's starting in April or May. I let it be a surpise for you as far as what they plan to do.

And it looks like they have begun some work on getting new cables on the posts that line the road there.

Have a great evening.

February 24, 2012 at 10:01 p.m.

• You are better suited giving reports from Riverside complete with a picture.
    Now,the self righteous person you are ;you are now giving lectures.

Who even pays attention to you; now shoo and go find someone else to lecture to or bother...Go away,leave me alone...I don't seek you out.

Maybe someone else will give you the attention you crave.

February 24, 2012 at 9:38 p.m.

• Are you guys comedians? If not, you should be. You're hilarious.

I apologize if you are trying to be serious. Please note I am only apologizing to save lives.

February 24, 2012 at 9:31 p.m.

• It's pretty bad when conservation columnist for the Washington Post,George Will ,has to print this " Santorum is repelling people who want politics unmediated by theology. Neither Romney nor Santorum looks like a formidable candidate for November."

Former GOP Governor of New York George Pataki said this about Wednessday's debate.

"This year, any debate on who the true extremist is – on most any subject – favors the incumbent, President Obama. Today, Republican George Pataki voiced his agreement – it was a good night for Obama, he admitted.

February 24, 2012 at 5:13 p.m.

• So true vet43,this is not the time to escalate the situation with irrational people,that's a formula that will always end up in more American lives lost...

February 24, 2012 at 10:17 a.m.

• Now if a group of Muslims burned a stack of Bibles in Kansas City would Newt send them a thank you note? It was a mistake and the right thing to do is admit it and analogize or beat your chest and hold a sign,

"Vote for me as I am pure and without sin."

February 23, 2012 at 10:04 p.m.

• SPOKANE, Wash. — GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday a U.S. apology to Afghan authorities for burned Qurans on a military base was “astonishing” and undeserved.

Gingrich lashed out at President Barack Obama for the formal apology after copies of the Muslim holy book were found burned in a garbage pit on a U.S. air field earlier in the week

Obama’s apology was announced Thursday morning. A few hours later, news organizations reported that an Afghan soldier had killed two U.S. troops and wounded others in retaliation for the Quran burning.

This is so typical of Newt...If one apology can save American lives then I want the president to do it...

February 23, 2012 at 7:26 p.m.

• So much for principle... The Virginia republican legislature passed a" personhood "bill thinking that fellow republican Governor Bob McDonnell would automatically sign it... Oh no, he's on a short list for veep, so he immediately said he would veto it... Today, the Virginia senate killed it for more study...

If Rick Santorum wins the nomination, the GOP will lose MORE of the women's vote and now they wanna alienate the Girl Scouts!..:-)

February 23, 2012 at 4:35 p.m.

• Palin, Perry and a brokered convention would be political suicide..It would make it exciting!.. The GOP convention is on August 27th... That gives the candidate a couple of months to persuade independents who just left the republicans because of their indecisiveness, that they are the person the GOP wanted all along...The last time that happened, I think was in 1964 when Barry Goldwater only carried six states and 38% of the popular vote..He lost the all important electoral vote by 486-52.

Are they selling Romney or Santorum yard signs yet?...:-)

February 23, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.

• Please remember the fine upstanding Indiana lawmaker that wants to put an end to those Godless heathens selling Peppermint Thins! When will the madness end and put these subversive underground cults (Girl Scouts) out of business?

February 23, 2012 at 4:18 p.m.

• And Sarah Palin (dumb) and Rick Perry (and dumber) think they would have a chance at the nomination in a brokered convention because they think it's like a second chance drawing, I guess...

February 23, 2012 at 3:50 p.m.

• Newcowboy

Oh,you'll see the highlights in ads...:-)

You're right, the smoke will settle after the nonsense of the preliminaries subsides. I still think that it will be a close election, unless the GOP nominates an extremist or they have a contested convention... As it is right now, republicans and democrats are entrenched and the independents are not firmly planted as of yet.

Then there is that talk of a third party, which will assure President Obama a victory.

February 23, 2012 at 3:06 p.m.

• They have enough debates to be in reruns for years!
    I don't agree with alot of the Presidents statements and actions, but I don't agree with all the statements of the four republican candidates. I do agree - from what I can tell the President is pushing very tough sactions on Iran. If he wasn't they would not be so loud in their response to the sactions. Seems three of the republican candidates just want to bomb Iran or at least have someone do it.

The hardest thing the republicans are having to explain away is the increase in jobs all though slow - they are increasing and seems my money in my 401K is recovering also.

Can't wait until the smoke settles and the republican candidate and the President go head to head - will be an interesting election.

February 23, 2012 at 2:52 p.m.