Comments

• What was the difference between McVey and the animals that attacked us on Sept. 11, 2001? The vehicle. Anyone that advocates taking up arms against the Unites States of America is my enemy. Haven't we learned anything from the death and destruction in the Civil War? We are a nation of laws not men and our country is governed by ballots not bullets.

Last thought on this subject. When does a armed militia become a criminal act? When they pull the trigger.

June 18, 2012 at 9:45 a.m.

• Debunker...About a possible military response to armed citizens marching on Washington, you wrote: "A Disorganized (or even organized) group of extremists yahoos, yes... they would put them down quick.
    Regular citizens rising up in rebellion over the government no longer serving them? Not so much."

You MIGHT be right, but how would they know the difference?

I believe in the part of the Declaration of Independenct that states, "...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

I believe that wise use of the ballot box ALONG WITH WISE AND PATRIOTIC candidates for office, that change can be made. However, you must remember that when the Declaration was adopted, everyone had firepower in their hunting guns pretty much equal to an army's. The Founders could not DREAM of automatic rifles, tanks and jet aircraft armed with smart weapons. In today's world, citizens armed with their deer rifles would be NO match to the power that would be called down on them. Patriotic citizens would be slaughtered just as quickly as disorganized groups of malcontents. Remember what happened at Kent State University. None of the dead or injured were aremed, but that didn't stop them from being gunned down. I'm not happy with the present administration, but I ain't gonna be bearing arms against it. The old adage that the pen (or in today's world, the word processor) is mightier than the sword can still be true. We just have to convince people to vote out the ones who govern contrary to the Constitution. The convincing will be the hard part. There are too many people who depend on government largess to vote against their sugar daddy.

June 17, 2012 at 11:45 a.m.

• To be clear on my comment. The idea of armed attacks on our gonernment is an attack on our nation and that is exactly what McVay was doing. I at no time said that John was another McVay.

June 17, 2012 at 10:43 a.m.

• Instead of watching the media go after the Tea Partyers I much more enjoy the Tea Partyers going after the GOP. Booing Perry at the state convention for supporting Dewhurst was great but when they booed retiring Senator Hutchison for urging support for Romney?....it just doesn't get any better than that.

As far as the military having qualms about putting down unrest debunker would be well served to familiarize himself with the way the Federal Government resolved the Veteran's march on Washington in 1932.

On August 28.1932 Republican President Hoover ordered General Douglas Macarthur to evict the Veterans. Macarthur ordered then Majors George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower to mobilize the Federal troops out of Fort Myers, Virginia.

At 4:00 that afternoon Major Patton ordered the Calvary to charge the unarmed veterans and their families. Killing and wounding many of the marchers as well as a few by standers, one of whom was a United States Senator. As the day progressed into night the Army attacked the Veterans main encampment with small arms, bayonets, machineguns and tanks. In all it is reported that some 1,600 people, mostly woman and children were killed in the daylong struggle. Nobody knows for sure the exact number as there were those who had escapped the city during the fighting and who died of their injuries while on the roads heading back to their homes

June 16, 2012 at 10:55 p.m.

• Concerning John's comment on Civilian armed rebellion.

I agree that this is an unlikely occurrence. But I also agree that nothing substantial will ever change in Washington until and unless it does. Does not matter if Democrats or Republicans are in charge. Both sides are "captured by the system" of corruption that is bread and butter in DC.

It is not likely to happen because it would have to start everywhere at once, and no one is wanting to "go first" and whoever does go first... will likely to either really be an idiot like McVey, or will be falsely made out to be a McVey by the government and their media. And no one else will want to follow that.

Speaking of which. I find yours and Vets comments insinuating John as another McVey for talking about armed rebellion to be in serious bad taste and a prime example of nastiness typical of Liberals.

As the the Military not hesitating to put such a thing down. Best think again on that one.
    the problem with liberals is that they do not distinguish between the two. They love to name-call. Divide and Conquer. Look at how the TEA Party has been treated by the liberal media.
    Military members Swore an oath not to the president, but to the Constitution and though it... the people of the United States. And that oath was to protect the constitution from ALL Enemies, both foreign AND DOMESTIC. There is a large (and growing larger by the day) movement within the Military, both Active duty and former military as well as Law Enforcement. They will NOT turn on the American people if ordered to do so by a corrupt government. They will NOT blindly follow orders.

June 15, 2012 at 10:42 p.m.

• That is a subject worth discussing.
    I don't approve of blaming a predecessor but when his opponents aren't giving him any credit or help; they don't leave him much of an option...Too many people believe the negative
    30 sec ads..Still a lot of people don't know he inherited a -9% GDP and losing 750,000 a month...His administration stopped the bleeding.

The trick is not to let your opponent define you

I liked what the president said today,"don't take my word for it;fact check it...come one media do your job.".........I think the president needs to talk about what he will do in a second term but that won't be until after the convention when the Dems come together with a common goal....The rhetoric doesn't matter because the Sept. economic numbers trends will make him or brake him.

June 14, 2012 at 6:34 p.m.

• Mike nice blog…
    But, however Obama at some point has to stop blaming Republicans and take responsibility for his own actions. I just don’t know how you can disagree with that argument, or anyone else for that matter. If he is re-elected who will he blame when things do not go his way? At some point someone has to be honest, so who will it be?

June 14, 2012 at 6:14 p.m.

• Oh,woof woof ,if it wasn't for lies,distortions and name-calling you wouldn't have anything to say.

BTW That idiot is a lot smarter than you could ever dream about being.

You have a nice evening

June 14, 2012 at 5:50 p.m.

• Nice plug for that idiot B. Hussein. Pensions for everybody.

June 14, 2012 at 5:29 p.m.

• Where are them dang WMD's? How much of that big paycheck went into Halliburton's/HBZ's pockets? Too late for a rebate?

June 14, 2012 at 5 p.m.

• That's getting a little old but since you mentioned it.

Poll: 68 percent of Americans still blame Bush for economic woes

The latest Gallup poll found that former President George W. Bush still gets much of the blame for America's economic recession.

American's get it.

June 14, 2012 at 4:52 p.m.

• Obama got elected. Said it's GB'43 fault. What has Barry Hussein done to fix the problem? Nezxt.

June 14, 2012 at 4:40 p.m.

• cattleman
    You've got it; we're getting too predictable and complacent...lol

I heard both speeches but both were lacking specifics, so I had to grade on style..:-0

BTW, it should not surprise anyone that Obama wooed his crowd and Romney looked pretty stiff.

I don't know if it's just me or texture of Romney's descriptions that seem strange.... I'm paraphrasing but he said that he recently went to a Memorial Day event where a veteran described what he saw the day Pearl Harbor was attacked... The veteran said that" he could see the pilot’s eyes as each dropped his bombardments and armaments."Who talks like this?

I would think he would say "payloads, bombs, rockets etc."

We been around for while when bi-partisan meant about 50/50 or even 60/40 but today it means one vote from the opposition party because it's darn near impossible to get.

I don't know if they passed the Violence against Women Act yet.

June 14, 2012 at 3:03 p.m.

• Fascinates me how with few precincts in and few boxes counted – the experts can call the races pretty accurate. I understand the exit polls, demographics of the precincts, and a lot of information is used to make the call – and usually right – once in a while there is a swing and they have to recant. But normally if they have any doubt they say it is too close to call – even when it looks like a winner to me – but they know what precincts have not been counted and how those will impact the outcome.

Have read some on both Romney's and President Obama's speaches given today - sorry to say - seems like more of the same to me.

And the real solutions to the problem are all sitting in Washington now. Rather than investigate everything - why not do something bi-partisan!

June 14, 2012 at 2:28 p.m.

• Mike if you followed anything locally, you would know about the displeasure recently regarding the sewer plant issue. Not every important issue is state or national.

Mr Lara was speaking about an armed revolution in this country. What could cause such a thing? I tied Mr Lara's topic to what is happening locally. While a group of Victorian's are upset, it is a local topic. But the feelings and disagreement are the same. A group of citizens feel their voice is not being heard.

I have no displeasure for anything Victoria. Well, then again, maybe the lack of communication or the willy-nilly spending of other people's money. But proper communication does cure many ills. I think the public may learn that soon, in regards to the sewer plant issue. Talking to, and not at, what a novel idea.

June 14, 2012 at 12:29 p.m.

• cattleman

I used to question the declared winner of an election after say 20% of the boxes were counted but it's a proven method...I saw Jon King and Charlie Cook explain it in detail..It's amazing how they have memorized the demographics of each county.. I guess if you work with data all day long it becomes second nature.

As you know, we have a lot of gerrymandered districts. Second,I think it's a known fact where a majority of Republicans vote in Victoria live and it's no different between the voter bloc of Cincinnati and Cleveland.

A lot of counties can tally their votes in a very short time... In the recent recall election in Wisconsin, the winner had to get his portion of known Milwaukee voters and vice versa.

If you were talking about the Florida winner being counted before the people in California ever voted; I think the networks have taken steps to remedy that.

There was some discussion about voters not voting because the outcome is evident. As you know we have the Electoral College which takes precedence over the popular vote... My youngest literally cried when I reminded her that our vote for President Obama did not really matter because Texas would give all the electoral votes to the Republican.

I hope we were on the same track.

June 14, 2012 at 12:20 p.m.

• Wouldn't it be great if 75 to 80% of the people that were eligible to vote - registered and then did! We would have lines so long the polls might have to stay open through the night!

But, I wonder if the major networks would still declare the winner with three ballot boxes counted!!!!

June 14, 2012 at 11:57 a.m.

• Mr. Dale Zuck

What are you talking about? Only 10% of the people voted;where is all this eruption that took place?

I think you wanted to use this blog to discuss your displeasure with city council and other.local issues..:-) ...you can't fool god Gatsby.

June 14, 2012 at 11:28 a.m.

• Mike, when humans feel their voice is not being heard a reaction will occur. Victoria's sewer plant issue (in a small sense) is what Mr Lara is noting. Victoria's leaders felt they needed a new treatment plant. Traditionally, the south side is not politically active... so the easiest (engineering/politically) location to place a sewer plant is on the south side. So wala, the dump goes to the south side. Now those folks are upset and the politicans are surprised by the uprising. Leaders being leaders, they say "we know best". When that doesn't work, they bring in the full financial treasury to fight the citizens. When the citizens still do not back down... and that is where we are locally and nationally. Now the question is... will the city government continue to talk down to, be arrogant or start listening to the impacted ones? Or, will Juan Linn Street be another Bunker Hill (politics wise)?

June 14, 2012 at 10:53 a.m.

• John

I was not surprised by your passion, I remember you posted a blog just before Congress was gonna take a vote on the $700 billion bailout saying..NO NO NO....:-)..I was surprised that you though that 20 million like minded individuals could organize.

I'm old enough to know that you can't expect to have the whole enchilada anymore. We used to do big things like NASA,Manhattan project and the Federal highway system but today the country is too polarized.

I'm just saying,if you take a little trip and look at the nameplates on our bridges, more than likely, you would see stamped on the side " Made in 1935." Or go to City Hall and ask for the current condition of our water mains. Just think what high speed rail in our major cities would do; especially in the northeast.

I don't think I'm being greedy or unreasonable by wanting Congress to agree on what they have agreed to in the past.

June 14, 2012 at 10:17 a.m.

• Mr. J. Williams

I'll start by agreeing that there is a vacuum in leadership but I'm reminded of the old joke “How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkeys?"

September 29, 2008, when our nation was on a brink of financial collapse, Treasury Secretary Paulson told the nation that a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street was needed. The people responded by jamming the White House phones protesting the bailout. A lot of us were watching the events as they happened split screen; on one side was a tally of the votes and on the other side were frightened Wall Street traders. Just as soon as it was obvious that the bailout would not pass, the stock market started free-falling, dropping 778 points. A few days later, Congress voted with their heads instead of their constituent's noise and passed the bailout. It turned out to be the wise decision but of course in hindsight, it could've been crafted better....There has to be a level of trust.

I see hope for this country because it's resilient but even though I'm not a financial guru; I never thought that any country could recover from an $8 trillion loss of capital in just two years.

Unfortunately political candidates have to be able to raise a lot of money and say the right things in order to get elected and that's our fault. We don't insist on campaign finance reform or regulations to rein in the abuses by multinational corporations and Wall Street... For example, yesterday, Sen. Jim DeMint, Republican of South Carolina asked Dimon, whose company recently announced a $2 billion loss in bad investments, to "advise" Congress on best banking regulation...
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jamie-...
    Really, can I fluff your pillow, light your Cuban cigar, and freshen your drink while I'm at it?

I still haven't gotten over Rep. Joe Barton of Texas apologizing to BP CEO, Tony Wayward, saying ""I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday," Barton said.”I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown, in this case, a $20 billion shakedown."
    The worst environmental disaster in our nation's history and he's apologizing for Congress... Gimme a break!

June 14, 2012 at 10:01 a.m.

• What is being said on here lately speak volumes. It proves my point that there is no LEADERSHIP and Common Sense in government and in the minds and hearts of GROWN MEN who should know better. Some people should be ashamed for suggesting something as serious as revolt, but yet refuse to do what is required and that is….petitioning the government. Also the same type of people should be ashamed for being grown and not have the mental fortitude and wisdom to come up with any solution. Trying to increase one’s self-importance without adding anything of value is an Epic failure.

Unlike many on here, I saw some hope for the future in this country. I saw it in the Democratic Senatorial Candidate, Sean Hubbard. Although he just lost the primary at least he showed up and put his money where his mouth is despite being a 30 year old nobody from North Texas.
    The problem in public affairs is that too many leaders are still fighting and refighting battles from the Vietnam era. Those fights are ruining the potential of the Y generation and the generations after. There are solutions out there, but these fights are blocking them.

Mr. J. Williams

June 14, 2012 at 2 a.m.

• : ) sorry mike if I appeared a bit out. Technology is funny, spent 2 decades on that, current and com is required. With out both, battles are a numbers game.

Just saying

I'm not worried about thugs, they know where I am, waste of time.

I am harmless, and I plan my life out in decades; I'm very good with probabilities.

: ) have a good one too mike.

June 13, 2012 at 10:20 p.m.

• Lara..."Nothing will change. Until Americans, have the courage to rise up into an organized civilian army against the government, nothing will change."

What will change is that you'd see a LOT of civilains dead. This is not like the 18th century when farmers had weapons as effective as the military (except for cannon, of course). There is a LOT of firepower around the military district of Washington and I believe it would be used to put down the kind of rebellion you advocate. Would the U.S. military fire on armed American civilians who march on the capitol? You damn betcha. I know the Declaration of Independence says it is the duty of citizens to alter or abolish the government when it ceases to protect our liberty, but as big a fantacy as that would be, it won't work. I've no doubt it would fundamentally change America, but I'm not sure it would be in a way we would like.

With BO's Homeland Security's penchant for monitoring electronic conversations, your suggestion could conceivably be placing yourself in jeopardy with this administration. If you suddenly stop posting, we'll have some idea why.

June 13, 2012 at 7:37 p.m.

• John

I agree government and country are two different things but our Republic democracy works a lot better when we're not revolting. I also agree that we need a reboot and I saw little bit of the arrogance of which are talking about when the senate was grilling Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan Chase. I say grilling but it was more like tossing lollipops toward him. A network took the time to pan around the room and place the amount of campaign contributions above each senator on the committee...lol

Although we got a little rain today; it's still very hot, 92° but feels like 292°.... Is not only mathematically improbable but where long way from being an authoritarian regime like Syria... You do know that it will only take a couple of helicopters and a drone to quell a rebellion in a city the size of Victoria....Cool down; it’s going to be OK.

Come up with a way to insert a cartoon into the comment section of our blogs...I bet I could find some to bring a smile on your face.

Have a good day.

June 13, 2012 at 5:17 p.m.

• Although I have not served, I have worked in defense of the United States of America. My loyalty, is to the United States of America and I would gladly lay my life down in defense of my country.

Republicans and Democrats in office have betrayed their oath, to the constitution of the United States of America. Our country is in such dysfunction because they do not place the United States of America above the interest of the Republican and Democratic party.

If any should be labeled terrorist or insurgent, it should be the Democratic and Republican party.

How much have their legislative actions destroyed the future of our country, compared to all acts of foreign terrorism?

So, now who is the biggest threat.

Do something?

I pray to God, they just stop doing what they are already doing!

June 13, 2012 at 5:01 p.m.

• Country and government are two different things. The government consist of the 20 million or so individuals asserting authority over the 300 million, living right now. The country, is the 300 million minus those corrupt and treasonous manipulative power hungry bought and paid for men in suits.

What determines patriots and insurgents, is not the label of the corrupt and their subordinates and associates, but why people are willing to fight and die.

Why, makes all the difference.

Remember, the first American Revolution was fought by people who the establishment labeled as insurgents or terrorist.

George Washington, was at one time labeled an insurgent or terrorist. If a government, acts in the interest of it's people then there will be no need for rebellion.

They have had around 200 years, how many more and how many more American lives need to sacrificed on the alter of power hungry corrupt men that hide behind "labels".

I'm just saying.

I watch the weather, that's my news.

It's simply, the government has failed and in order for the country to be made whole; the government needs to be completely replaced.

A reboot, if you will.

It doesn't have to be scary or romanticized. The Oklahoma incident, was evil

But, the government did not begin cracking down until Arab Americans legally entered the United States and committed the same act; only with more people.

I stood on the ground just a week after the Okc incident, I cried for the children and families. I feel to my knees, when I speak of violence do not think that I do so lightly.

I hate violence but I understand that the corrupt government is spineless and uses thuggery to achieve it's goals.

The military serves the constitution, which is independent of any human authority except the American people as a whole.

The government actions have weaken the people economically and socially, so that there is never a chance of true reform.

It's just mathematically improbable.

Only, completely replacing the federal government would work.

I'm just saying.

June 13, 2012 at 4:51 p.m.

• vet43
    I'm always surprised when people think we have a single mindset.

I'm never going to take up arms against my country.

June 13, 2012 at 3:06 p.m.

• Mike,

After reading the comment by Johnanthonylara my mind went back to Oklahoma City. Very sad statement of the times. What news do you think this "freedoom" fighter watches?

June 13, 2012 at 2:56 p.m.

• John

I'm not sure whether armed uprising civilians would be considered patriots or insurgents.

I'm not so sure 20 million people can speak for the remaining 300 million.

There are remedies that don't require violence, such as campaign finance reform, redistricting, filibuster reform, eliminating the 60 vote majority rule, and a constitutional assembly forum.

June 13, 2012 at 1:56 p.m.

• vet43

I hear you and I hope you’re right about finding common ground pretty quick... I'm not usually a fan of props or gimmicks but last night I heard that some businesses are going to the White House and set up some cement trucks, freight trucks, backhoes and other infrastructure related products to send a message to Washington.... I'm all for that because you have been around awhile and still remember the days before the basketball "shot clock" where a player would put on a dribbling show to run out the clock.... I'm afraid that's what Congress is doing.

June 13, 2012 at 1:43 p.m.

• Nothing will change. Until Americans, have the courage to rise up into an organized civilian army against the government, nothing will change.

Until, we see 20 million armed Americans in uniform marching on Washington D.C. as a trained Civilian Army and not leave until their pre-written legislative demands are met nothing will happen.

Under those circumstances, the government will have to threaten them or concede surrender.

Either way, it would be the end of the government as we know it. Any act of aggression by the government, could not be spun to satisfy most Americans. It would be seen that the American government has attacked 20 million patriots, acting in defense of the American people; not foreign corporations or bankers.

Any act of violence on the part of the Army, would be seen as a liberating force from a corrupt and war mongering government. With complete disregard for American life, that on a Presidents lie would send thousands of Americans to their death.

I’m just saying.

June 13, 2012 at 1:42 p.m.

• Mike,

If folks only knew how far gone our potable water system is and how much water is lost every day in huge numbers of gallons then look at the cost of treating the waste, maybe the common ground can be found to do the repairs.

Right now it seems like we need boots on ground to address our problems but Congress is haggling over which is more important. Left foot or right foot.

June 13, 2012 at 12:30 p.m.

• cattleman

Thanks for reading and the kind words.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the president said "worse recession since the Great Depression" but he has been a little off on his message lately and it would do good if the president talked to rural America and no doubt grandpa could set him straight.

I'll settle for passing the Transportation bill for now .

BTW I was going to post the Congressional Calendar for this year to show the many days where nothing was scheduled.but some people would think that's a good thing...No Action is good action...:-)

June 13, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.

• Always enjoy your blogs - good reads!

Talked to my grandfather last night - he is 102 - grew up in the depression - starting a family. He made the comment that he thought he heard President Obama say that we were living through the worst financial crisis we had ever seen. I don't know whether the President said that or not.

But Grandpa said - that the President should come by - he would set him straight - we haven't seen nothing yet!

I asked him what should be done? He said the demecrats and republicans have to stop campaigning and start talking. Old wisdom is great wisdom.

June 13, 2012 at noon