Comments

• John"
    I've seen your work and you are just one "app" away from being a huge success on your own terms..follow your dreams.

Thanks

June 25, 2012 at 3:37 p.m.

• My American dream is still the same, as when I was around 5 years of age.

I'm 37 or 38 now, depends if my woman is around to correct me. Also, I realized my American dream around 6 years ago; except for one thing, children.

I never wanted money but for the most part, when I need some it's just a matter of picking some up. I mentioned that, because most people tend to associate money with realizing their dreams.

I have peace of mind, security, and living a humble but descent life. Occassionally, I'm the drama queen but really more money, popularity, or things would not make a real difference in my life.

My dream was simply to be free and make my place in the world on my own terms, with the opportunities that my intelligence and skills could achieve.

A merit life, not a privilege life, I saw as a child surrounded by very wealthy people in Victoria and other places what mattered.

I wanted a merit life, not just one built on merit but deserving of a good man not corrupted or cruel.

Nice post Mike, I'm glad you are feeling better don't take things so seriously. The only thing that matters in the world is, love.

It's the only thing you can take with you.

June 25, 2012 at 3:08 p.m.

• Thanks vet43

It used to be a small wood framed house with a white picket fence with a mortgage burning ceremony and then came the predatory loans for mansions that were gobbled up by people who weren't ever going to be able to afford them ,no matter how much refinancing they got..The American dream,they were told but it was all a big scam .

June 25, 2012 at 2:42 p.m.

• Mike,

If the media is going to dictate my dreams,thoughts,morals or standards to me they would have to do a brain transplant with an Echaskech. But that seems to be a popular elective surgery nowadays.

Your example in the military was heartrending. Many of those that have served carry a photo album in their head that is hard to share and difficult for others to understand. Thank you for your service.

June 25, 2012 at 2:27 p.m.

• Thanks cattleman

I learned at the tender age of 18 about how lucky we truly are; when I got off an amphibious personnel carrier in Puson, South Korea.....I was greeted with a box lunch of fried chicken etc..When I was finished, I was then greeted by young,old and poor South Koreans wanting my left overs. I almost threw up at the sight of that and it stuck with me.
    Thanks for reading and your uplifting post.

vet43

As long as it's your dream and not one dictated to you by the media; telling you what it should be.

June 25, 2012 at 1:33 p.m.

• Mike,

My version of the American Dream has had an paradigm shift with the birth of each of my children then grandchildren. I would guess you could say my dreams are "evergreen". When dreams become static they are no longer dreams but just memories that never happened.

June 25, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.

• Another good read - the dream is always in the mind of the beholder. My dad had his own business and sent us kids through school - always saying he wanted us to be better than him. Better? Never! We just worked less and made more money. He was a WW2 vet and he always amazed me when he talked about how he was so lucky coming back from the Pacific - being able to buy army surplus and selling it at a profit - that is where he got his start. He said that he believed that the USA was always the place to live because everyone had opportunities - we/they just needed to go after them.
    Having lived outside the USA - I have to agree - we have opportunities here that aren't available elsewhere.
    He took care of the employees in his business - they were family to him.
    I think what we miss now is that our dream - no matter what it is impacts and touches people other than ourselves - and so many don't care - they don't care if the impact hurts others - just so long as it is good for them.

June 25, 2012 at 12:10 p.m.

• Dale
    Yes, the American Dream will always be here for us because if one is honest with oneself; they would say that the opportunity was there at some point in their life.

Chupakabra

You should be sending me a bill because I was looking for the word "reinvigorating" but I simply couldn't think of it...:-) You bring up a good point about the children because they will automatically make you share your dreams.

VBB

Same dream, different place (Rockport) but my wife brings me back down to reality because I already knew that I couldn't afford it but she always says “Are you going to help me keep it clean" or "I can already hear you complaining about cutting that big yard." I would be really boring if we were all alike.

vet43

Been there... done that ...I remember when we planned a trip to Sam's Wholesale to buy an item but for some reason; I pulled into the Lowe's parking lot. I then heard my wife say “what are we doing here" but she knew that I just had a senior moment and she probably saw through my explanation when I said “I thought we could save some steps, if they had the item here." We don't really fool them...:-)

June 25, 2012 at 9:16 a.m.

• I figured out long ago reality is relative to each individual....what I find to be common or normal, others may not agree. My idea of the American dream & someone elses idea of that same dream may not agree. I was in POC this weekend & the ridiculously huge weekend homes were all over....I would love a house on the water, but not 7000 sq ft....which shows that my dream & their dreams are 2 different things. Everybodys priorities are different.

June 24, 2012 at 10:46 p.m.

• I know the feeling. Some times I come into a room and stop and ask myself,"Now, what was I coming here for?" Then my beautiful wife hollers to remind me. It is a good way thinking about where you came from, where you are and where you are going. And she is usually right.

June 24, 2012 at 9:36 p.m.

• It still amazes me that so many of us do not understand the real purpose we were created for. For most it seems it is all about ourselves, our likes, dislikes and needs. Me, Me, Me.... Is there any wonder why our society in this country continues to swerl down the porclein throne.

June 24, 2012 at 6:41 p.m.

• Mike, the smells of the old neighborhood can be reinvigorating regardless of where it is. I grew up in the inner city in Houston. A neighborhood that was built after WWII. They are starting to bull doze some of the houses because the lots are large and people who want to live close to town are building bigger houses. I hate to see what used to be affordable housing being replaced by the lot value. My younger brother still lives in one of those 1000 square foot dwellings and I spent the night there last night. The smells and sounds of the old neighborhood put me into a deep sleep last night. My brother told me that I should be the one that defined my success. That is easier said than done. Once you have kids, all bets are off. Because then you start to think, am I advanceing or limiting the opportunities for my children. That can make you crazy. I think Forrest Gump said it best. Are we floating around like a feather in the breeze or do we have a destiny? He said, "I think it is both." That is about as good as any answer, I guess. lol Please don't send me a bill for this counseling moment.

June 23, 2012 at 9:44 p.m.

• I worked under Ms Laura Sanders years ago. Once she taught me a valuable lesson. One which I try to recall daily.

Ms Sanders said, no two persons are the same. We all have different needs. Different skills Of course different talents. WE can not all be doctors, or lawyers or even mechanics. Some of us are happy being librarians. Others oil field derrickmen. And my favorite profession, the Burger King cook. Because without my burger cook I'd spend more time cooking and I would be thirty pounds lighter. The American Dream is still alive.

June 22, 2012 at 11:56 p.m.

• Whatever..I'm not going to waste my time arguing with the likes of you;take it anyway you wish.

I going to enjoy my evening so why don't you do the same.

June 22, 2012 at 8:07 p.m.

• And I qoute, "for everything you read in that book, look to your left, and you will find another book that will contradict everything you just read."

Would you like to say that comment one more time?

June 22, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.

• Itisi when you learn to stay on topic,I will not delete your comment but you still have the opportunity to write a blog to state your political views but you are not going to piggy back off this one...This was never intended to be a political blog....

June 22, 2012 at 7:27 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 22, 2012 at 7:15 p.m.

• Wayward

Oh,I'm up at 6:00AM soaking up the peace and quiet with a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper and then I go on my 45 minute bicycle ride and my wife is still asleep when I get back.

I thought I was going to sleep in every morning but never got around to it...:-)

I think the key words are "not required to wake up at that hour" At least when I had a dog he would keep me company but our Persian cat just wants me to feed  him,so he can go back to sleep.

June 22, 2012 at 7:06 p.m.

• MIKE!!! You're retired. You were up before seven? Is that what I have to look forward to? Geeze, I was hoping to sleep in til about the crack of nine and THEN get up and have breakfast. Of course, I plan to still be up between one and two in the AM. I'm sort of a night owl. But before seven! But then, I've always preferred second shift.

June 22, 2012 at 6:39 p.m.

• Thank you very much Jessica...:"-)

June 22, 2012 at 1:23 p.m.

• This is really great. "I just need to stop now and then to reflect on where I came from, where I've been, and where I'm going. " Beautiful.

June 22, 2012 at 12:52 p.m.