Comments

• ncc1701 Are you sure you read my four posts on this blog? There is nothing anyone can say to me that would ever convince me that activily homosexuality is okay in the eyes of God, per His word. I would have to write a short story to answer all your questions, and if I did I don't think it would accomplish anything.

May 15, 2012 at 2:31 p.m.

• Each of us will stand before Jesus some day and know exactly what He thinks about the sins we have committed. Each of us will know after the fact whether we interpreted the Bible correctly.

May 15, 2012 at 2:28 p.m.

• Beakus - Does your bible not also read that at the end of the age Jesus will gather the sheep at His right hand and the goats on His left and say whatever you have done to the least of these my brethren you have also done unto me? Is not the new command Jesus gave us to love our neighbor? But religious pharisees like you want to make much talk about the love of God, and slam the door to the kingdom in the face of those who demonstrate love for their neighbor and who altruistically do good works for others. Is this not what the bible teaches us, that faith without works is dead? Are you not demonstrating contempt for the God you espouse by showing disdain for your neighbor because of their sexual orientation? Is being gay the unforgivable sin that bars those who would otherwise enter the kingdom? You hypocrite! perhaps you should pull out the log that is in your own eye before you attempt to remove the speck of dust from your neighbors eye! You should make note of the fact that the part of the law we are to keep is the part which deals with love your neighbor as yourself. That part of the law which deals with mans relation to God has been set aside because of Christ's sacrifice for us. Or are you of those who say that unless we be circumcised we are not Christ's like those "foolish Galtians" who had been bewitched into thinking that it was necessary to return to all the observances of the law? Do you read a Bible or a BINO (bible in name only)? Not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom, but those that do the will of the Father. And His will is that we believe the Son. And the Son gave us a new command, that we love one another even as He loved us. Thanks to religious types like you who love to brandish about false your false piety, those of sexual persuasions other than heterosexual have become the Samaritans of our day. Or do you think being heterosexual excludes someone from being a pervert? People who are heterosexual commit rape, incest and pedophilia every day. Being gay doesn't mean you can't be a Christian, because the true test of a believer is being able to love others (and I don't mean that only from the standpoint of sexually) I hope you and the rest of your ilk out there are getting this, because God will still forgive if you're willing to repent of your hypocrisy, not willing that any should perish.

May 15, 2012 at 11:54 a.m.

• Mike, I read the opening question of your blog and I knew the rest was liberal blather (and on and on) as usual. You have my answer, short and sweet.

May 14, 2012 at 10:07 p.m.

• Obama came out with his support for gay marriage only cause his VP (goofball) Biden made a referrence to the fact a week before. Who really cares! I'm not going to lose sleep if Ed and Fred wed. We have much bigger problems than this.

May 14, 2012 at 10:01 p.m.

• This particular paragraph, are you mocking the hypocrisy of same sex marriage or agreeing with the political downfall of the Presidents statement on same sex marriage?

“You know when I was growing up, I never did anything about the injustices of Jim Crow nor did my parents, although we were always guided by Christianity. This time I want to be on the right to side of history because I just want equality for all human beings. That is my point of view and I'm not asking nor am I expecting any one to hold the same view.”

May 14, 2012 at 5:36 p.m.

• Each person, politician, priest, you, me, etc... have only a short period of time in this body. My only hope for you and every single person is that they feel or understand their need for a Savior and except Christ and His finished work on the cross so that they can spend and eternity with Him. For a believer this world is as bad as it gets, whereas for a non-believer this world is the best it gets. Doing good things for people in need is pleasing to our Lord but does nothing for anyone towards spending eternity with Him. Christianity is the only religion that is a done religion rather than a do (works) religion. Have a good day.

May 14, 2012 at 4:39 p.m.

• Beakus

That certainly is one way of looking at it, but not wearing my religion on my sleeve keeps aware that there are always two sides to an issue even though I may lean to one side. As I continue saying, OUR constitution is for Christians and non Christians. I've lived 67 years believing this and I will probably cast the dice and go out that way.

I never said I have a total secular/worldly view but everything has a time and a place. For example, I sincerely think that politics and religion do not mix. I don't take my political views from a priest and nor do I take my religious views from a party platform. It's not rare to see Christians, who engage in politics, use the same tactics as the sleazy politicians. They will leave out pertinent information and exaggerate their point of view in order to obfuscate. I see them paint the poor as lazy and irresponsible using a broad brush.

I don't profess to know the future but I will never be anything less than a law abiding, taxpayer who has a genuine concern for the poor and a strong believer in the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendment.

May 14, 2012 at 4:09 p.m.

• Mike. I understand you keep religion seperate from politics. This is probably how many conservative republicans differ so much with liberal democrates. Every thing that I do in my life I try hard to respond like I believe my Lord would want me to. Do I always do that? Certainly not, but if I look at the secular/worldly view, I would make many more mistakes in life. There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.

May 14, 2012 at 3:24 p.m.

• Beakus

I respect your opinion and agree with your sentiment but I don't have religious discussions on a public forum. I was politely acknowledging cattleman's post.

I purposely stay out a religious arguments because they usually end up in " holier than thou" supported by"I'll see your scripture and raise you two scriptures." Religion is based on faith; so can they really be a winner and loser?..{rhetorical question}

The constitution is for believers and non-believers.

Again, I keep my politics secular.

May 14, 2012 at 9:52 a.m.

• gansobalanco

I agree with you 100% but I still need that special GOP dictionary, that I can pull out whenever Republicans go on "Meet the Press."
    Yesterday, David Gregory explained how Obama just stated his personal feelings and other than being symbolic of being the first president in history to support gay marriage; it really didn't have any relevance because the president was not trying to federalize the issue...Then GOP chairman, Reince Priebus, (say that 3 times in a row) said they weren't either...David Gregory told them that Mitt Romney was for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Mr. Priebus agreed with Romney. Huh? I remember Michelle Bachmann saying that she was for state rights but would propose a constitutional ban on gay marriage.... Do they not know that a Federal ban would supersede a state law? Oh, those Liberty University law degrees.

May 14, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.

• We agree!

May 14, 2012 at 9:13 a.m.

• Cattleman. Certainly not on the free pass to sin. Yes the born again person should try to refrain from continuing to sin, but you and I know that we are still sinners. Remember that God will deal with each individual's sins and our sin results in loss of rewards in heaven. But our faith is what secures our eternal salvation, not our works (Eph 2: 8 & 9) He will be the final and perfect judge.

May 14, 2012 at 9:06 a.m.

• Beakus - do you believe that accepting Jesus as your personal savior gives you a free pass to continue to sin? Shouldn't a born again Christian turn from sin - repent - and do their best to avoid committing the sin again?

May 14, 2012 at 7:44 a.m.

• Mike & cattleman You guys were discussing God judging us. Just in case either of you are not aware, I would like to point out a biblical truth that God does judge sin for all people. But the beauty for a believer, someone who has actually made a decision to believe/trust in the finish work of Jesus Christ, gets the free gift of eternal salvation (go to heaven) regardless of their sin. So, if President Obama is truly a believer he gets to go to heaven even if he supports gay marriage, the same as a gay person who is a believer and continues to practice homosexuality.

Bottom line, we are all sinners, but the believer gets the free gift of eternal life for his faith in the Lord Jesus. So you can support gay marriage or not, but if you want to spend eternity with the Lord you have to believe in the Son. This is the gospel (good news). Peace to all.

May 12, 2012 at 10:17 p.m.

• Mr. Perkins would be well served to familiarize himself with the Equal Protection clause(s) of the U.S. Constitution.

What is interesting to me is that the shift of common sentiment towards gay marriage actually seems to be coming from the right. Apparently there's a group of folks that take liberty and getting government out of people's lives to heart.

On a side note, when you premise a democracy on "the pursuit of happiness" it was probably only a matter of time before it came to this.

May 12, 2012 at 1:48 p.m.

• Writein

Your statement is not true,yes the NC voting for the amendment had to do with the timing but you'll see the Dems add a marriage equality amendment to the platform at the national convention.

The election will be about the economy and the people who will vote against this single issue weren't going to vote for Obama.

Context is everything....Perkins said the definition of marriage was defined 5000 years ago.

1. Man has been on earth a lot longer than that
    2. Not everyone is Christian
    3. That definition has only been around for about 250 years.
    4. I did not inject my views so I'm not deserving of a lecture.

May 12, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.

• How about them "Sister Wives"? Fact is the right to be married to another person is nothing but a legal contract or else we would never need to go to court to decide who gets the 52" flat screen.

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 a.m.

• If North Carolina hadn’t voted against it or the issue wasn’t up to vote, President Obama wouldn’t say a thing. I am sorry, but that is true. Let me say this to the Liberal/ Progressive Wing of the Democratic Party. If this issue cost Obama the election, then he will be the Herbert Hoover of the Democratic Party. Let me say this too. Tony Perkins is right, whether you like it or not, marriage is and should be between one man and one woman. It’s time to stop making wrong into right and right into wrong.

Mr. J. Williams

May 12, 2012 at 2:06 a.m.

• vet43
    I was not judging the seniors per say;I was just using the demographics that were provided in yesterday's paper. A lot of the bigotry is generational.

To your point,yesterday , I heard Tony Perkins say that marriage was defined as a union between a man and a woman 5000 years ago. Huh? First of all, the flat- earther thinks that humans have only existed for 5000 years and his definition is about 200 years old. We can't forget about the many wives in the bible and accepted polygamy.

May 11, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

• vet43

Mitt fell into the "cover-up" is worst than the crime" bit because this happened when he was 17 years old. He should have admitted it and not say he didn't remember because there are four witnesses. Mitt Romney has a hard time following orders, so that makes vulnerable and scripted..... He's so scared of the far right wing of his party.. For instance, he allowed a gay foreign policy adviser to resign because of pressure from Religious Right activists Tony Perkins,Gary Bauer and Bryan Fisher...Then Bryan Fisher came back and made fun of Romney for listening to him.

Mitt Romney needs a sister Souljah moment. But that's the GOP's problem.

May 11, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

• Mike, I would not judge us seniors so quickly. With the exception of some folks that are still reliving "the good old days" many, if not most of us, have grown into rational, reasonable logical adults.

The idea that if we ignore or eliminate people with differences it will not change a thing. Maybe someday this magic 1950's bubble over Victoria will pop and folks will learn the earth is not really flat.

May 11, 2012 at 10:18 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 11, 2012 at 10:05 a.m.

• Hictoria

I am not discounting your statement at all because it has some validity especially in a presidential election year but the president already had the young and gay community vote. It could also lose him some votes....Grandpa might not be too enthused with Romney so he decided to sit this one out but you put a hot-button issue on the ballot and he will pull that straight party lever.

I don't think the president was disingenuous. The president thought about his family, staff and new found friend's feelings and decided that he did not want to be on wrong side of history... I predict that this won't be an issue in 10 years. You have to consider what the president didn't say, and he didn't say he was ready to call it a civil rights issue (federal) and that he would try to convince Congress to uphold the 13th and 14th amendment. He left it up to the states.

Unless it's drastic, I don't think voters will pay too much attention to what a president says in May..... I might remind you of the Electoral College system we use to elect our president... My vote will counted as a popular vote but all of Texas's electoral votes will go for Mitt Romney.

May 11, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

• I have to wonder how much money it cost George Romney at the private High School when Mitt assaulted the blond boy?

There may be a clue regarding Mitt's response when ask about the hair cutting. He had memory loss. That would explain some of his position changes. Could not remember what he said last time.

I think the President said what he did because it is the moral thing to do. This is not 1950 and June Cleaver has left the building.

May 11, 2012 at 9:14 a.m.

• Yes Mike, if it will help him gain voters, why not? If you are going to play the game, play to win.

May 11, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.

• The majority of children born to women under 30 years of age in this country are born to women outside of marriage. If the institution of marriage is to be preserved in any significant way, to my mind, the heterosexuals would be better served by a mirror check instead of concluding that excluding gays is in anyway a solution.

Biblical scripture historically has been used to support slavery as an institution and to deny women's sufferage.

Hopefully God will be merciful and not just.

May 10, 2012 at 5:11 p.m.

• You are very right - I will be judge for my actions, you for yours, and so on and so on. God will judge President Obama for decision to support gay marriage - and I will not speculate on how the judgement will go - there are so many things that can happen in a person's life between this moment and death or death could happen in the next second. I will be judged for all my actions. Judged for my stand on gay marriage, but also on how I threat a gay couple - and some will never agree, but one does not exclude the other.

I do always recall a couple that seemed to be happy for maybe 50 years of marriage and the one thing that comes to mind is that neither of them seemed to ever say anything bad about anyone - including each other. Someday I hope I grow up to be just like them.

May 10, 2012 at 3:18 p.m.

• A tweet form basketball great Bill Walton "Bristol Palin thinks Obama's daughters watched too many episodes of 'Glee'. I think Bristol watched too many episodes of '16 and Pregnant'

May 10, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.

• cattleman

I agree that for Christians your words ring true but won't we also be judged on how we treat out fellow human being?

I have been criticized several times for keeping my politics secular but that's who I am.

I respect your views and thank you for commenting.

May 10, 2012 at 3 p.m.

• I'm 67 and I can relate with Romney's lost memories of his high school years but if I had ever pinned a closeted gay classmate to the ground and cut his long hair;I'm positive I would have remembered that. Romney says he doesn't remember anything about that incident that was written about in the Washington Post.

Does it matter? That's for Romney supporters to decide.

May 10, 2012 at 2:51 p.m.

• I feel President Obama has supported gay marriage for some time - but would not say it. He did direct the justice department to not defend DOMA and Don't ask don't tell was repealed.

But, I do believe the issue will become scriptural for everyone some day - we will all stand before God and answer for how we live here in the USA - and God will not use the Presidents decisions and remarks, laws decided in Congress, or Supreme Court decisions to judge us.

I pray each and every person can live for eternity with the decisions they make.

May 10, 2012 at 2:40 p.m.

• I agree with your first sentence but I'm not sure if I fully understand your second sentence......Did you mean if the opportunity arises;take advantage for either side?

I'll go a step further;I'm certainly not going to get angry at you because you have a different position from mine on this issue.

May 10, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.

• You know it is really sad that this has to be an issue in the first place. But if it is ammunition...why not use it?

May 10, 2012 at 2:33 p.m.