Comments

• And when you thought it can't get any worse. Yeah, it's those sleazy Democrats again - roll the tape....chuckle!

From the WSJ:

"A federal grand jury is investigating former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson over possible campaign-finance violations stemming from his 2008 presidential run, including allegations that he arranged for supporters to pay off a woman who planned to say they had engaged in an extramarital affair, according to people familiar with the inquiry.

Several of Mr. Richardson's close associates have been granted immunity from prosecution in exchange for their testimony before the panel in Albuquerque, the people said. The panel is one of several grand juries in recent years to examine aspects of Mr. Richardson's administration and campaigns."

December 1, 2011 at 3:41 p.m.

• The national debt rose every year while Clinton was in office. The so-called "surplus" was government accounting on/off budget flim flam. The real measure of a deficit or surplus is the what happens to national debt - look it up.

Again I confess Bush was an idiot he cut revenue but did nothing about spending. And yeah, the DotCom bubble burst, ENRON, 911, Iraq, Katrina, housing bubble collapse they were and are a problem and so is uncontrolled spending and massive debt.

December 1, 2011 at 9:55 a.m.

• Snow, Praising Bush on Budget, Calls Clinton's Surplus `Mirage'

By Alison Fitzgerald

Dec. 21 (Bloomberg) -- President Bill Clinton left office in 2001 with a federal budget surplus of $127 billion. President George Bush ran a deficit of $319 billion in 2005. So who deserves more credit for fighting red ink?

No question, says Treasury Secretary John Snow: It's his boss, Bush. Sipping a latte at a Starbucks coffee shop with reporters in Washington two days ago, he said that ``the president's legacy will be one of having significantly reduced the deficit in his time,'' and said Clinton's budget was a ``mirage'' and ``wasn't a real surplus.''

The answer
    Snow has some support for his view. ``Capital gains receipts were unusually high'' during the last years of the Clinton administration, said Ed McKelvey, senior U.S. economist at Goldman, Sachs & Co. in New York. He estimated that when the budget surplus reached a peak of $237 billion in 2000, capital gains tax payments were about $90 billion higher than the norm for the early-to-mid 1990s.

Snow and other administration officials said they inherited a recession in 2001, after the equity bubble burst a year earlier, and then had to increase spending to kick-start the economy and fight the war on terror.

At the same time, the administration also opposed renewing rules for government spending that required all tax cuts or spending increases to be offset elsewhere in the budget. Bush wanted such rules to apply only to spending measures and not to tax-cutting proposals.

That is not quite right. When President Bill Clinton left office in 2001, the Congressional Budget Office was forecasting an average annual budget surplus of $850 billion for 2009 through 2012, according to an analysis I did in 2009.

The bursting stock-market bubble and recession that Mr. Daniels mentions erased a little less than $300 billion of the surplus. The Bush administration’s policies — including the tax cuts, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the Medicare prescription-drug program — erased another $673 billion.

Mr. Daniels is certainly correct that the bursting bubble of 2000 and beyond helped cause a recession — and that the recession, in turn, shrank the federal surplus. But it is not true that “it wouldn’t have mattered what policies you tried to implement.” The Bush administration’s policies did more than twice as much damage to the budget as the recession did.

December 1, 2011 at 9:07 a.m.

• How did Gary Hart slip under the sleazy democratic politician radar. I'll never forget that picture of him with Donna Rice aboard Monkey Business with that $hit eating grin - priceless.

And BTW, Clinton did not leave a surplus he increased the national debt every year he was in office when you looked at the debt from January 20 to January 20, granted his last year the deficit was only $21 billion - those were the days, good Lord look where we are today with Obuma.

December 1, 2011 at 8:08 a.m.

• Getsmart,
    Surely you left patti reagan's playboy magazine spread out as an honest omission.

November 30, 2011 at 11:23 p.m.

• GetSmart.

It seems to me that you are more interested in RED BAITING than trying to discuss the topic at hand.

November 30, 2011 at 7:54 p.m.

• Gary
    Evidently, I don't have any remorse.

It was a time where a democratic president and a republican Congress left a surplus, and actually balanced the budget.

I don't really like to talk about myself because I'm really not that important.

November 30, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.

• Mike

So you feel you made the right choice & that Bill helped the country?

November 30, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

• Accused philanderer. Last I checked not seen a confession. It could very likely be true, but hardly the first presidential candidate or president to be accused or do these things. Also the Rep. Party hardly has the monopoly on the family unless your telling medems run on an anti-family platform? Which then affairs would make them hypocrites as well. Also, this is the first affair accusation. The others accused.him oh essentially hitting on them. That would make all of us philanderers.

November 30, 2011 at 8:16 a.m.

• JLordtree
    why don't these things happen to the likes of Huntsman, Paul, Perry, Romney and Santorum?
    Problem with Cain is that the dudes a serial philanderer

November 30, 2011 at 7:38 a.m.

• Dude I know the Republican stances, but again that's platform and stereotypes not a hundred percent true of every voter or candidate even. My point has been we have been, especially Bob,Gop and rich, crucifying Cain without it being Proven. There is a claim and some text from an unverified number from Cain (just got through watching how it has not been verified as belonging to him). Also he has denied it flatly....not"we will wait and see" as one posted. I'm not his jury. Should he get out...probably, he cant keep recovering, but that is up to him. My point of JFK,Clinton was that it has was shown that both had affairs in office, and many throwing stones at Cain were defending them...why throwing stones now? Also besides conspiracy theory logic, what proof do you have that the national media.do not that Newt is responsible? I'm sure they would love your breaking news. Or do we just slander in here?

November 30, 2011 at 6:17 a.m.

• Im Rich.

Thank you. I am just a history nerd.

November 29, 2011 at 11:37 p.m.

• Im Rich.

I doubt that. Here is why. This month and next month is filing season for candidates. If this was a natural progression of events then Cain would have hung to dry long before the Iowa Straw Poll. For example, Gary Hart’s 1988 President Campaign was derailed the same way in fall of 1987.

November 29, 2011 at 11:15 p.m.

• JLordtree.
    It seems someone has touched your nerve because most of your comments are JFK, Clinton, JFK Clinton rinse and repeat. The Republican Party voters are conservative, they are anti-abortion, pro-life, and anti-Gay marriage. They have been touting that line since Ford beat Reagan in 1976 primary.

November 29, 2011 at 10:59 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 29, 2011 at 10:50 p.m.

• JLordtree.
    Cain isn’t a threat to Jon Huntsman, Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or that crazy woman from Minnesota. What you are not looking at is the South. South, as a whole, is the base of the modern Republican Party. Romney and his cousin Jon Huntsman would most likely get the North, the Mid-West, and maybe the Western states. Romney isn’t behind the leaks because there are more anti-Romney candidates. With Multiple anti-Romneys, the more primaries Mitt would win in southern states like Tenn, Florida, North Carolina and Missouri. Perry’s downfall uplift both Newt and Cain.
    If these leaks were from the Democrats or most likely Clinton’s group, they would have the leak out during the primaries not before.

November 29, 2011 at 10:17 p.m.

• IMRich...they had plenty of practice with JFK and Clinton. why the difference? cains has not been proven. did u support clinton or kennedy?

November 29, 2011 at 9:53 p.m.

• writein, the threats to other campaigns from cqin were real but out of my multiple conspiracies in my head, newt was the farthest away. I am not getting into them cause frankly....no proof and not making libel/slanderous false accusations. Needless to say, if not true it will be a shame this happened and plenty would have benefitted both repub and dem.

November 29, 2011 at 9:51 p.m.

• This fool also passes himself as an associate Baptist Minister.
    Just admit it folks, he's just another false GOP messiah.

November 29, 2011 at 9:40 p.m.

• Gary.

Your question to Mike prompts me to ask you a question and I very, very much want you to answer. Now do you believe that a man can lie about the HISTORY of the World, (You know, Marxists using MLK or Catholics trying to destroy Israel), is a man you would trust in teaching and preaching the truth?

Mr. Williams.

November 29, 2011 at 7:46 p.m.

• Herman Cain’s downfall isn’t from the media, the liberal media, or the White House. People should take a look at the leaks and the candidates closely. Herman Cain’s run for the nomination is more of a threat to candidates like Newt who is a follow Georgian and needs the South Carolinian and Georgian delegates. He is also a threat to Texas Governor Rick Perry for GOP Southern primary votes. It is my opinion that Speaker Newt or his team are behind the leaks.

November 29, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.

• To Jlordtree. I did not believe it was necessary to respond on what Clinton did. I did not condone his lying or his affair with Monica Lewenski. Neither did I have any sympathy for Weiner, or Ensign. I do not have a political agenda when it comes to this types of issues. These are acts that society in general condemns. Adultery is adultery whether you are a democrat, republican, independent, or whatever political affiliations you ascribe to.
    To make a long story short, I wrote on the upcoming implosion of Herman Cain about a month ago.

November 29, 2011 at 6:31 p.m.

• So Gop is the only partyfor family,Christian family values? Has.Cain been Provence to do these or just convicted in your mind...you know guilty til Provence innocent? So Republicans make mistakes and its hypocrisy and dens is just human? Sounds hypocritical to me. Why are you not saying who cares, no pastor-in-chief as well here? And Bob you never respond directly to the Bill Clinton question at all.

November 29, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.

• Gary
    Yes i can, but I don't like hypocrites who do the same why slamming those who do. And I don't vote for hypocrites.

November 29, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.

• Gary

I keep my politics secular..... A man does not have to believe in God to be a good president. If you have read any part of our history, our founders and our presidents have not been above reproach.

The House of Representatives are the caretakers of the purse strings; not the president.

Regardless of what we want to believe; most people vote with their wallets and if our country is at war; they will vote for a president they think will keep us safe....Others will vote on gender,race,religion,single issues, or any other reason that's suitable to them.

How a person rules their house is subjective and may or may not have to do with their qualifications to be president. I'm looking for intelligence, competence, communication skills, and supporting cast.

People can choose any criteria they want and I won't sit in judgement.

November 29, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.

• Mike

Do you believe that a man that can lie to God (wedding vows), lie to his wife & lie to the public is a man that you can trust with your money. Even if he could help with economics is that what is at the top of our list of importance?

A man that cant rule his own house hold well cant be trusted to rule a nation either.

November 29, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

• Cain exemplify the Republican Party in it’s hypocrisy - your know that Christian Conservative Family Values thing. How much tax money did Ken Starr spend chasing stained blue skirts?

November 29, 2011 at 1:37 p.m.

• JLordtree, my comments below yours will answer your question. I have nothing at stake in this dog fight: it comes down to morality and human dignity. No one likes a liar, predator, cheat, etc., regardless of his/her status in life and in the community.

November 29, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

• I knew about Bill Clinton's womanizing and consensual extramarital affairs before I voted for him. I was not voting for pastor-in chief, I was voting for a person who convinced me that he knew more about the economy and how to fix it, than President George HW Bush...then again,I will offend some, by saying that the only thing that separates man is opportunity.

Isn't there a statute of limitations on Bill Clinton? Several senators and representatives have had extramarital affairs while serving as as members of Congress and all were discussed during that time.Herman Cain is a presidential candidate who's indiscretions have recently come to light,so there's no tit-for-tat.

BTW the Democratic never pretended to be the party of family values.

November 29, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.

• How does Cain exemplify the Republican party? Then does Obama and his past (Ayers,cocaine,etc) exemplify the Democrat party? Clinton and JFK and their in office affairs? Glass houses.

November 29, 2011 at 1 p.m.

• Bob did you say the same about the picture of morality Bill Clinton? I mean come on at least Cain never used "that woman" in his denial.

November 29, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.

• There certain things that we all tolerate and we allow for different levels of tolerance. I do not care what your political views are or mine for that matter. If you have crossed that line, look behind you, I will be there to let you know.

November 29, 2011 at 12:48 p.m.

• dude exemplifies the state of the republican party

November 29, 2011 at 12:23 p.m.

• Paid to say this about Cain? Really? It would take about 5 min. to pick that apart with a little fact checking.

November 29, 2011 at 12:09 p.m.

• When you decide to run for public office - especially national office such as the Presidency - you had better have your house in order and no skeltons in the closet. They will come out - someone will volunteer or be paid to bring the dirt out on you.
    We do want a President with integrity - high moral standards - decency - honesty. I believe there are still men and women out there with all those qualifications - now if we could just get them to run for office.

November 29, 2011 at 12:08 p.m.

• Did you say the same thing about Bill Clinton? I'll bet you liberal minded selves just said "oh, let him be President." I don't know the truth about Cain and none of you do either. I'm waiting for the evidence to surface. Then and only then will I say it's time for him to leave. Have any of you considered that these women might have been paid to say this?

November 29, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.

• According to Politico, Herman Cain is trying to decide his fate, so he may be dropping out of the race of which he never had a chance of winning.

He's going to have an perform a Houdini act to explain the 4:30 AM call to Ginger White. He said he was helping her financially but his wife didn't know anything about it. I'm never seen a man swirm so much as he did yesterday on CNN. Wolf Blitzer asked him if he was saying that he never had an affair with Ginger White, Cain said something to the effect that " we'll see what comes out." Then his lawyer said Mr. Cain will no longer talk about the subject. He doesn't have to, the cell phone and bank records will do the talking. The last time Mr. Cain saw Ginger White was in September... What a coincidence, that's the same month he entered the race.

Whatever Herman Cain did in his personal life is between him and his wife but he subjected his whole family to public ridicule.

November 29, 2011 at 11:34 a.m.

• The point is immorality, integrity, human decency, and treating all with the same level of respect as you would anyone else. I dare say that he it appears that women that have come forward have all had financial difficulties giving them a perspective of being vulnerable to predators.

November 29, 2011 at 11:20 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 29, 2011 at 11:11 a.m.