Comments

• Butwiser.

I am still holding your feet to the fire. You say and ask ingornt questions and statements. Don’t act inncoent on why I am going after you.

You asked: “Why do you protect Obama? Is it because he is black and that makes anything he does OK? It is like you have to support him or you are not a good black person. I said he needs to be removed from office.”

Here is my answer: First of all, I am a Democrat. If Alan Keyes, Al Shaprton or Cindy McKinnery were President, I wouldn’t care. Second, Everything thing that have been said against President Obama on this site is similar to this: http://www.jfk.org/go/collections/ite.... Finally, personally, I fear for the President and his family safely. Do you have aproblem with that?

You said: “This comment was taken out of context. It was a tongue and cheek comment.”

My answer: I don’t see anything funny.

You said: “While I wished I had written my first letter differently.”

My Answer: No you got caught.

You said: “If there is no voter fraud, how would having an ID change anything?”

My Answer: Why now this year it was such an issue. If it was important then where were yall in 2000?

Mr. J. Williams

April 12, 2012 at 12:58 p.m.

• Yeah they use those picture ID's to prevent voter fraud.......LOL!

April 10, 2012 at 7:24 p.m.

• Most companies that have unions print up their own pictured ID cards. It's what's used to get into the plants, but those cards wouldn't be good enough for elections of other kinds.

April 10, 2012 at 6:58 p.m.

• Like the sign says, "picture ID required"......really, LOL!

April 10, 2012 at 6:45 p.m.

• again rollinstone, really?

Have you ever voted in a union election? What sort of ID card do you think they use?

April 10, 2012 at 5:50 p.m.

• Unions require an ID to vote in their elections - LOL!

April 10, 2012 at 5:13 p.m.

• butwiser,

I'll answer that. If there hasn't been any great amount of voter fraud actually proven, then it is quite obvious that the new voter ID law is specifically aimed at stopping those who voted in large blocks for President Obama in the last election, which are in large numbers, seniors, minorities, and students. Those are the ones that have the hardest time getting the papers together for this next election in 5 short months, and those that passed this law, know that and are counting on it.

April 10, 2012 at 4:59 p.m.

• Writein,

Why are you against a voter ID? If there is no voter fraud, how would having an ID change anything? There are a lot of things that require an ID. I can't write a check to pay my taxes without an ID. So what is the hangup? I understand issues with the elderly. I lost two family members to Alzheimer's. (I think I spelled that correctly) For two years I took care of a parent. I mean I took care of a parent - not stick them in a rest home somewhere. They could not vote even with an ID. But you are right about one thing, I did step in it. You have been spraying it all over this blog the last several days. Have a nice day.

April 10, 2012 at 4:14 p.m.

• Butwiser.

You surely step in it. I have a question for you. If the Voter ID law is needed to stop voting fraud, then explained to me where is the fraud? I mean every major candidate in Texas are conservative, Republican, and male won in every position. So what is the problem? Maybe, just maybe, there is a likely hood that Texas, with its increase in population from Northern States, may get less conservative, Democratic governor and Lt. Governor in 2014? Is that’s it, a conservative plan to prevent Texas from becoming a Purple state?

Mr. J. Williams

April 10, 2012 at 3:41 p.m.

• Vet43.

Best quote ever.

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 p.m.

• "Republicans nearly always use voter fraud as a pretext for ID laws. When Democrats point out that they have an unfair impact on the poor, the elderly and students, they shrug their shoulders. (Photo IDs aren’t free, and obtaining them can be a hardship for working people, as well as individuals in rural areas who don’t own cars. Student IDs are not considered valid for voting in some states.)

It was pretty obvious that these allegations were just silly, but once they were made the elections commission was obliged to follow up, so it investigated 207 cases of allegedly dead people voting in the 2010 elections.

Of those cases, 106 were clerical errors by poll workers; 56 were “bad data matching,” which means the motor vehicles folks were wrong in assuming the voters were dead; 32 were cases in which someone was listed as voting but did not actually vote; and three were absentee ballots cast by voters who died before Election Day. That’s 197.

That leaves 10 questionable ballots where polling lists were missing or signatures were confusing, or … well, who cares. The dead did not vote in South Carolina in 2010.

April 10, 2012 at 2:54 p.m.

• "Five states passed laws this year scaling back programs allowing voters to cast their ballots before Election Day, the Brennan Center found. Ohio passed a law eliminating early voting on Sundays, and Florida eliminated it on the Sunday before Election Day — days when some African-American churches organized “souls to the polls” drives for members of their congregations. Maine voted to stop allowing people to register to vote on Election Day — a practice that had been credited with enrolling some 60,000 new voters in 2008. Voters in Maine and Ohio are now seeking to overturn the new laws with referendums.

The biggest impact, the Brennan Center said, will be from laws requiring people to show government-issued photo identification to vote. This year, 34 states introduced legislation to require it — a flurry of activity that Jennie Bowser, a senior fellow at the National Conference of State Legislatures, called “pretty unusual.” Before this year, only two states, Indiana and Georgia, had “strict” photo identification requirements for voters, according to the conference. This year, five more states — Wisconsin, Kansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas — passed laws to join their ranks.

Under the Texas law, licenses to carry concealed handguns would be an acceptable form of identification to vote, but not student ID cards. "

April 10, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.

• vet43

People with disabilities and certain conditions currently have a method to vote. That would not change for them. If you have been following the news today, you will understand why a photo ID should be presented.

April 10, 2012 at 2:29 p.m.

• butwiser,

You just don't get it about older folks and the hardships they have of locating the documents that are needed to get a Texas ID, if they never had a drivers license, or theirs have expired and they no longer have the pictured ID.
    Many of these people do not have kids close by to help them and many of them outlive their kids. Some don't have friends they can count on for help. Some do not drive and have no drivers license.
    Many of these people have served in the armed forces, but still cannot come up with the needed documents in such a short period of time, to comply with new rules that they never thought they would have to deal with.
    You have to remember what wars they served in and low lax the records were back then and how hard they are to find for some people with limited help.
    I know how hard it was for my father, before he died, to help my mom get a birth certificate since she was born at home, during a time that people didn't think twice about informing the authorities that a baby had been born. It actually took a eye witness to the birth to get her BC. Now how many elderly people can come up with an eye witness?

April 10, 2012 at 2:29 p.m.

• Doesn't matter when anything kicked in. The policies were Bush's policies, signed by him (Bush). The costs are attributed to him until the policies are overturned. The wars did not stop costing money when he left office. The tax breaks are "still" costing us dearly. You cannot blame President Obama for those costs because if it was up to him, they would have expired. Now, who doesn't want to bring the troops home?
    You cannot blame President Obama for anything except the changes "signed" by him after he took office and those things do not add up to more than a drop in the bucket compared to what was done before he too office.
    You have to be able to separate Bush's deficits, then and now, from what happened after Obama took office. Seems that is something you want to ignore.

April 10, 2012 at 2:17 p.m.

• butwiser?

Many disabled people mail in ballots. Also folks over 65 and those in jail and if they will be absent from the county. As for your disability it can be treated with civility. Try it.

April 10, 2012 at 2:17 p.m.

• If the elderly are unable to go and get an ID, they would not be able to make it to the voting booth. If they have mental issues due to strokes or illness that would prevent obtaining an ID, they would not be of sound mind to vote. Unfortunately, that is one of the risks of getting older.

April 10, 2012 at 1:51 p.m.

• Born, I may be ignorant, but amnesia? No not yet. But one thing I'm not is too lazy to look up the facts, rather than relying on some old, worn out talking points. Your talking point is that Bush is responsible for our huge unsustainable deficits because of....and I quote, "We are still in the wars, the tax cuts are still in effect and then add the recession."

Let's see I think the Afghanistan war started in 2001, Iraq war started in 2003 and the tax cuts were in 2001 and 2003. So let's look at the deficits for Bush's reign and Obuma's as follows:

Year....................Deficit (trillions)......................% of GDP

Obama' Deficits

2009...................1.70...........................................12.20

2010...................1.73...........................................11.90

2011...................1.18.............................................7.86

2012...................1.75..........................................10.64

Average..............1.59..........................................10.65

And Born you forgot one other talking point (amnesia?). You forgot about the Prescription Drug Benefit law. That was passed in 2003 but didn't really kick in until 2006.

"As of February 2009, the projected net cost of the program over the 2006 to 2015 period was $549.2 billion."

So even throwing that in Bush's deficits did not get out of hand until the "affordable housing" financial crisis came crashing down in 2008. He had one very bad year, given "two wars, tax cuts and Prescription Drug law."

Obama is going to have four very bad years. His average deficits are more than twice what Bush's were. He has put the nation's economy in a precarious position that will be very difficult to get out of. Everyone is holding their breath waiting for the other shoe to drop - the inflation shoe.

April 10, 2012 at 1:49 p.m.

• Butwiser.

Nice job trying to covering up your first comment You just made another lie. “The liberals indicate that people cannot get a photo ID if they are a minority. This is NOT true. Anyone can get an ID. You have to have one to go to the public library. They say that minorities can't afford to pay for one.” What about the elderly? That was the main focus of those opposing Voter ID laws. I got more to say to you, but there are more important things than you.

Mr. J. Williams

April 10, 2012 at 1:27 p.m.

• Writein,

You come up with things that I did not say. I did not say you were a liberal. I used a phrase opposite of what you said to make a point. It is not a quote from me, but just to show you how your comment sounded. Your statement was a racist statement and if I made a statement like that, I would be attacked. It was done as an example. Why do you protect Obama? Is it because he is black and that makes anything he does OK? It is like you have to support him or you are not a good black person. I said he needs to be removed from office. There is a process to do that. It is called an election. You said "How can you sit there and assume my comments were racists when you stated: “It appears that the Hispanic people are the ones two stupid to stand in front of a camera” ". This comment was taken out of context. It was a tongue and cheek comment. It was not to be taken literally. The liberals indicate that people cannot get a photo ID if they are a minority. This is NOT true. Anyone can get an ID. You have to have one to go to the public library. They say that minorities can't afford to pay for one. This is bunk! They can have cell phones. How much does it cost, say 5 bucks? The only reason for a person not to have an ID is to cover some kind of fraud. It appears you don't understand T&C comments. You take everything literally. Your writing style and errors indicate you have a weakness in this area. While I wished I had written my first letter differently, I still stand by the fact that all people are created equally and don't need the government or self appointed anointed ones telling a group based on their race that they can't measure up without their help. I hope the readers understand my original comment.

April 10, 2012 at 1:15 p.m.

• Butwiser.

You just made another lie. First of all, I am not a liberal. Thank you very much. Second lie, The President didn’t control or have any control of the Supreme Court. The President has a right as an AMERICAN CITIZEN to voice his concerns and anger about the Supreme Court. I guess impeaching the President for having an opinion over Obamacare?? That speaks more about you than anything else. By the way, I am not for the Health Care myself. If you disagree with his actions and do so without the added dramatic character assassinations. I am along with many of us are getting fed up with it. If you are so concern about Presidents attacking the Supreme Court and Constitution, then led a campaign to remove a certain President from the 20 dollar bill. He done more in attacking the courts then Obama have ever done.

You asked where was Jesse and Al on Herman? Didn’t I told you earlier that no one gives a tinker’s damn about Jesse and Al. Al and Jesse will never fully regain their standing in the black community since Barack Obama ran in 2008. So why keep on bringing up two old washed up fools who are nothing? Is it because that is your only trump card?

How can you sit there and assume my comments were racists when you stated: “It appears that the Hispanic people are the ones two stupid to stand in front of a camera” ? (April 4, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.) By the way it is too, not two!!!! I STAND STRONGLY by my statements whether you, debunker, Waywarwind, Bighorn shoehorn, VICAD, or some long haired hippy likes it or not.

Mr. J. Williams

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.

• Writein,

I am not sure about one of your statements. "There are many of us who are SICK and TIRED of family members and children of President Obama" I don't know about you, but I don't have anything against President Obama's family members or children. I don't like the complete disrespect of the constitution that he shows while setting as our President. He is acting like a dictator and is invoking illegal executive orders. He just allocated a large sum of money to enforce his Obamacare. He is attempting to control the supreme court. He does not have that power, but he does it anyway and he should be removed from office. It is not because he is black that I disagree with his actions. If that were the case, I would not have been very interested in Herman Cain as a possible president. Oh, by the way, where was Jessie and Al when Herman needed help? When it comes to Glenn Beck, I don't listen to him, but I guess you do. I don't listen to Rush or Savage either. I am not a member of the NRA and I don't attend NASCAR events. As far as my age, yes I am in my 50's. Your comment "old fifty plus year white conservative males" sounds sort of racist. If I had said something like "young wet behind the ears black liberal males" to describe a group, I would have been ripped to pieces. I have been around longer than you and have experienced many situations and have interacted with many different people.. So yes, I am older BUT WISER than I was in my earlier days. Age is not a bad thing. Victoria's oldest resident just passed away. I would have loved to have been able to talk to her. Her knowledge and memories would have been fascinating.

April 10, 2012 at 8:28 a.m.

• Let add this to butwiser, where were you when Glenn beck attack the Obama daughters?

Mr. J. Williams

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 a.m.

• Talk about selective amnesia, bordering on ignorance!!

April 9, 2012 at 11 p.m.

• Born2bme.

Thank you.

April 9, 2012 at 10:50 p.m.

• rollinstone,

really? really?

Bush's policies are responsible for the deficits. They didn't just cease to exist when he left office. We are still in the wars, the tax cuts are still in effect and then add the recession

April 9, 2012 at 10:41 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 9, 2012 at 10:03 p.m.

• Itisi

Your comment is like the pot calling the kettle black. You misquotes me and put words in my mouth two weeks ago, while hiding behind the computer screen. You are doing southern hardliner conservative spinning on your part.

Mr. J. Williams

April 9, 2012 at 9:38 p.m.

• Mike, on April 4 at 7:05pm, you miss quoted Butwiser, on top of that your attempt to paraphrase his comment didn’t even come close.

As far as a “second hand citizen,” I don’t know what the heck that is. A second class citizen now that is how I feel when the president parks his butt in front of a camera and tells me I have to be fair with his candy store rant about fairness. However you manage to put that liberal spin doctor to the test.

April 9, 2012 at 2:44 p.m.

• Attention Butweiser, I hope you are not going to market a beverage with a name like that, butt whatever. I was wondering if you viewed that Politico link that was provided by......" the Oracle."

It made me snort when I heard Obuma blame his deficits on....yep that's right George W. Bush. He said he inherited the deficits from the previous administration. When he took office the deficit for 2008 ending on Jan 20, 2009 was 1.44 trillion dollars.

That was Bush's fault because of falling revenues from the financial crisis brought on primarily by Democratic housing policies that some Republicans went along with including Bush. Butt given all that Butweiser can any liberal explain the following deficits:

2009.......$1.70 trillion

2010.......$1.73 trillion

2011........$1.18 trillion

And Butweiser we are on track to have a deficit for 2012 of $1.75 trillion. That is really a kick in the butt if you get my drift Butweiser and I think you do.....butt not to worry, Obuma is a genius we shouldn't forget that as he drives the bus over the cliff.

April 9, 2012 at 1:02 p.m.

• butweiser
    One mor thing...In one of your comments you stated that President Obama had to read off a teleprompter while he was reading to school children... I hope you know that's just a right wing talking point to make people think that the president is not intelligent... If you don't know that, I think it's a safe bet to assume that he's more intelligent than anyone who's ever posted in this forum and that includes you.

I'll never be able to convince you of that but for others It's know fact that the teleprompter is a tool that is used by most politicians and it replaces the notes that were on the podium.

President Obama is a great orator and the teleprompter allows him to deliver his lines in a deliberate manner rather than pausing having to look down on his notes.

For those that think that President Obama is a lightweight have forgotten the whipping he put on Paul Ryan and his cohorts on healthcare, without notes, teleprompter, or any other aid. A little refresher course.

" Republicans invited Obama to appear at their annual conference; the president accepted — and then surprised them by asking that cameras and reporters be allowed into the room.
    Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now.
    Again and again, Obama turned the Republicans questions against them — accusing them of obstructing legislation for political purposes and offering solutions that won’t work.

April 9, 2012 at 9:51 a.m.

• butweiser
    This morning I went through your comment history because you say you say that you have two college degrees and a 4.0 GPA... Earlier you have said that you graduated from VHS in the 70s (top 5% I presume) and worked in a lab at the old Union Carbide. You also stated that you were republican, so I guess we will start seeing some pro-Romney comments from you.

A little over half of your comments are about illegal immigration and your exaggerated synopsis about the economic and survival impact it has on our existence. I've also noticed that you never provided any links to back up your hyperbole.BTW I don't want to have a discussion with you about illegal immigration. Your comments indicate that you are all about "color" and in my opinion obsessed with it.

You are complaining about affirmative action and you might have a legitimate complaint but it seems you have never given any thought on how it was prior to the civil rights legislation, which would not have come about without government intervention. You call it " no confidence in minorities" by the government but it can be seen as leveling the playing field because the employers accept government contracts(taxpayer's money), so is there to ensure that nepotism, preferential hiring, and race does not interfere with a balanced hiring approach. Whether it has run its course is a matter for debate. Minorities have seen the racial divide for a long, long time, when it comes to hiring and promotion and I believe if I researched it, reverse racism would not compare to actual racism in hiring preference.

I disagree about doing it on your own because nobody really does; we all travel the highways that taxpayers have provided, we all use government resources like public schools and libraries, teachers, policemen, firemen or work for a company that receives a government contract which in turn provides us with a good paying job. Some like to think they are self sufficient but a lot of those people were born on third base and think they hit a triple.

I've never seen where you have posted a positive comment on anything, although I may have missed it.

April 9, 2012 at 9:23 a.m.

• Writein,

I never said you were on assistance. I do not look at others wallets, but I am tired of the government pulling their entitlement programs out of mine. The neighbor told me his financials. I did not ask. Federal law required that JTPA fund my retraining. I was denied because I was called white even though the law required the training be paid. During this time of my life, I was looking for a replacement job. The Texas Employment commission as it was called then had tests that you were required to take to be placed for an interview. If you were white (catch all for anything not hispanic or black), you had 15 points removed from your score. If you were hispanic, you had 10 points added, and if you were black, you had 15 points added. Now what this says is that there is a 30 point spread between black and white. I find it offensive to have the government say that a black man can't measure up and must have special adjustments to compete in the job market. I have friends that are doing very well and they did it own their own. You don't seem to grasp what I am saying. As far as Obama, he is a dangerous man when it comes to our constitution. If you think I mentioned him because he is black, think again. He is also half white. I am talking about the man and his politics, not his color. I have been reading some of your rants and you appear to be an angry man. You have attacked me with put downs and slurs and I have not once said anything about you. Who is childish here. When I refer to people helping people, it goes both ways. I have had friends of other "colors" help me through difficult times by just being my friend. Are you really saying that I should start judging people based on their color? If so, you are someone I would never want to meet.

April 9, 2012 at 8:36 a.m.

• Butwiser.

Ok since you think you know everything, answer this question? What federal aid I am on? The whole government gives to just blacks thing is stupid and you should be ashamed. Farmers get aid, factories get aid, hell even this GOOD OLE BOYS NETWORK gets money. I can't do anything with government at this point, but to those like you, Jason, Waywardwind,Debunker, and others I can. I can tell yall off for talking about people like children. As for myself, I don't need your help. I believe in do it for self. Keep your bread crumb 'help'.

April 8, 2012 at 4:44 p.m.

• Butwiser.

Maybe you should re-read your comment. Did you not mention the guy across the street and his money? Yes, you are nosey and looking in one's wallet. Because you have degrees doesn't mean you have wisdom or common sense. You are too concern about Obama or the government. My problem, my main concern is the childish comments you and others made. I will not put up with them. Your comments alone gave me an idea about a blog.

Mr. J. Williams

April 8, 2012 at 4:25 p.m.

• Writein,

I have two college degrees and a 4.0 average in the last program. I look at no one's wallet, but the government is sticking their hand in mine every time I turn around. Our current president subscribes to wealth redistribution. Take the money from those who produce and give it to those who don't. I don't understand why you would not be offended when the government tells a whole race of people that they can't make it on their own without assistance. It is the ultimate put down and I don't buy into it. Anyone can be productive and there are people of all backgrounds ready to help.

April 8, 2012 at 4:06 p.m.

• Butwiser.

I am not finish. All of these problems have nothing to do with the boogyman in the White House. The problems have been around for years. It just happens that many young educated minorities like myself are sick of hearing hate talk radio gettig away with 'murder'. Instead of complaining, educated yourself. Instead of looking in someone else's wallet, understand the problem. Your comment remind me of someone got TOLD OFF for peeking in my wallet at a store. Instead of talking to or about a certain groups like CHILDREN, & talk to people like Adults!

Mr. J Williams

April 8, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.

• Thanks for your sharing your thoughts,opinions, and in some cases facts. I have the utmost respect for your position(s). I may not necessarily agree, nevertheless, it is your opinion. You probably feel the same about my opinions. I want to wish all of you a Happy Easter, Passover, and a peaceful and restful weekend. Think about all that has been said and let us begin to be forgiving and share the best of yourself with others. We may never come to complete terms, but a compromise to live in harmony, in a world of equality, respect, integrity, and lastly, a world in which we can all be proud to be Americans. Be kind to all regardless of color, creed, religion,ethnicity, and economic status. See you in church!

Bob Munoz

April 6, 2012 at 6:52 p.m.

• Bob

I can't see myself getting along with those who offends me or my race.

April 6, 2012 at 4 a.m.

• We have a good cross section and sample of comments from the public. Having a dialogue that will bring us together is imperative. Paraphrasing an old saying: You're either part of the solution or part of the problem". Where do you see yourself? This are the same discussions they are having across the country and no resolution in sight. However, at some point people will come together to discuss, implement, and heal the country. The sooner the better.

April 5, 2012 at 9:38 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 5, 2012 at 5:43 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 5, 2012 at 1:26 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 5, 2012 at 12:48 a.m.

• For the record, I did NOT use the term "second hand citizen". I said second class which referred to financial standing. When the government tells a group of people that they can't make it on their own without assistance, they are in effect telling these people that they are not as good as someone else. When people accept this and live off the work of others through wealth redistribution, they will not ever be a producer. When families raise their kids to access the welfare system as a way of life, we all loose. This is common for all races, but it is really targeted toward large minorities. When I lost my job and was required to be sent to re school through the JTPA, they would not pay anything. They said I didn't meet their quota. I paid for school, two children, a wife and had a food budget of $85 per month. The guy across the street got all tuition, books, housing, car payment and $475 per month food stamps. What was the difference? My skin? So don't say I don't know what it is like. I did not set out to talk down to anyone, but to get people not to accept what the government is preaching and stand up for themselves. Since Obama has been in office, it appears more has been done to divide than to bring together.

April 4, 2012 at 11:49 p.m.

• Waywardwind.

Here you go again talking off the wall and missing the point ..yet again. Don’t you dare put words in my mouth !! Don’t you dare twist my words into something that is not. Sure you didn’t tell anyone to quit school, give a punk a gun, or knock up someone. You are trying so damn hard building a straw man to knock down. STOP IT !!! When I mean everybody, I am talking about society and people collectively in this BLASTED area we called the Crossroads.

Everybody is at fault whether you LIKE IT OR NOT. Democracy is not a sport for BENCHWARMERS. Whether it is government, the churches, the schools, and down to that individual responsibility is the key to the problem. Don’t dare open your pie hole and assume I don’t know a successful black family. I am a product of such family. Thank you. There is no need for me to know them. My problem is you and people like you. You always come on this site, this forum, talking about your distrust of Muslims. STOP!!! I am talking, not you. That type of statements of distrust feeds into the problem today. Yes you hadn’t done any crime, but you with those types of statement help fuel tension.

Mr. J.Williams

April 4, 2012 at 11:31 p.m.

• Butwiser.

Don't act cute here. Your statement was offensive and anyone who offends me will receive the same in kind. I do not....I REPEAT TO YOU DO NOT, put up with foolishness or let your ingornt statements slide. Don't blame me, blame yourself. Don't try "Lets Respect each other" line, that line have been cross when you talk to me like that.

Mr. J. Williams

April 4, 2012 at 11:23 p.m.

• Butweiser
    If you are not sure ,look it up before you to describe a human being. Being poor does not make that person a second -hand citizen no more than being a republican make you a racist....You stereotyped minorities but you take offense when the tables are reversed..You pointed out their leaders as you saw it.

The goverment is made of conservatives,liberals,tea party,democrats and republicans to represent the people....Incidents of injustice and ignorance promote racism.

April 4, 2012 at 11:12 p.m.

• I am not sure what a second hand citizen is. Being second class is not a reference to one's race, but to one's financial ability to succeed. When someone refers to "white" it is usually anything that is not black or hispanic. It is kind of a catch all classification. Because the reader assumes I am not black or hispanic, I have to be a white Republican racist that listens to certain radio hosts and belongs to the NRA. So tell me, who is racist, me or the one that profiles me? I still think the government and certain self appointed individuals promote racial issues to control and or produce a profit.

April 4, 2012 at 10:52 p.m.

• Writein..."Whose fault it is for gangs in Victoria? I’ll tell you straight up. It is EVERYONE’s Fault."

Whoa there, J. Don't you DARE blame me or anyone who has never had a kid in a gang. Everyone's fault my rosey red backside. I have never counciled anyone to quit school, to believe that studying hard and making good grades was "acting white" is somehow shameful. I've never given a gun to a 16 or 17 year old thug and told him to shoot somebody before he can be considered man enough to join a gang. I've never gotten a teenage girl pregnant and abandoned her to try to raise a kid alone. I've never committed a crime worse than speeding. To those who deserve it, I offer respect and friendship. To those I perceive to be gang thugs, I do not. The minority adults I know work hard, have an intact family structure in which they raise their kids, go to church, visit with their neighbors and are good citizens. The minority adults I know don't have any gang members among their kids who are in either public school or college. Without exception, the minority adults I know stress the importance of an education to their kids and work hard to provide an environment in which those kids can learn. The minority adults I know are hard working, honest, and honorable citizens who make the city better. They are NOT at fault for other people raising(?) low-life thugs who join gangs, use and sell dope and end up in prison or an early grave. Maybe you ought to talk to them and find out how they were successful in their family life. Gee, maybe you could even be proud of them.

April 4, 2012 at 10:26 p.m.

• You said: “Right now the government and self-appointed leaders are telling people of color that they can't get a picture ID to vote. They are just not smart enough to stand in front of a camera I guess. Hey, it is not white people saying that minorities are too stupid, it is their leaders.”My answer: Why is it you never mention Senior Citizens in the ID issue? The issue isn’t just racial or political you know. If voter ID was a “major problem”, then how come Republicans and conservatives keep on winning? If voting system in Texas has been rigged, wouldn’t there be more Black, Brown, or even Democratic Senators and Reps in Austin or in Washington? Can you address that point?
    You said: “It appears that the Hispanic people are the ones two stupid to stand in front of a camera. Or is it that they want illegals to vote illegally?”
    My Answer: Because of what you said, you deserved to be blasted as racist and bigot, but I won’t do it. Why because I’ll let your words fall on its weight. You said things cowardly without signing your REAL NAME.

You said: “Until you take responsibility to make something of yourself, you will always be second class. Stand on your own two feet and you will be successful and white people will be right by your side with a helping hand.”
    My Answer. Know what? I changed my mind, because of that statement; I will lash out at you and that bigoted comment. The “white man” may not be my enemy, but cowardly white men like you are. Whatever I did in my life, win lose or draw, I did it based on my own talents, abilities, and whatever blessing I receive. Who in the hell think you are Mr. Know-it-all about Blacks? SHUT UP!! Who told you to tell me I don’t take responsibility? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!The only people who are and should be second class are people like you!! As far as that “helping hand”, you can keep that so-called helping hand. I don’t need it. I have my talent and resources. You can take that hand and shove it! That’s right I said it.
    Mr. Williams

April 4, 2012 at 10:25 p.m.

• Butwiser.
    Let me continue. I am going to break down every point you made with a response and I would like for you to HONESTLY REPLY AND ANSWER!
    You said: ‘It is your government and your self-appointed leaders like Jessie and Al. Their goal is to keep you down in order to control you. They get their power from this’. My Answer: No one gives a rat’s @$$ about Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. If you have dig deeper in Black Society instead of watching the cable news, you would know that. What about the Self-appointed leaders of angry white conservative men like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michael Berry, Sean Hannity, and Michael Savage? You can’t sit there place blame it all on minorities or their so called “leaders” as you put it.
    You said: ‘Did you hear anything about the white kid that was beaten by two blacks while they told him this is what happens when you are white?”
    My answer: I have heard and read about that story for the past few weeks. So what is your point? The point you are NOT getting is this...the attackers were caught or charged with the crime. The Martin case no charges were filed. That is what you are not getting or refusing to acknowledge.

April 4, 2012 at 10:23 p.m.

• Butwiser.

You have made a series of errors in your post. The most common mistake in discussions about race is always the theme of a conservative white person always using the “put you by the boot straps” line with a parental attitude towards Minority population. It is that type of language that causes more distrust, anger, and hatred than anything else. IN ALL DUE RESPECT, PLEASE STOP!!!! I am trying my best not to lash out at you for the B.S. you made. Talk to me, talk to us, like adults here please. I am a grown man, not a snobby nose teen.

April 4, 2012 at 10:14 p.m.

• Writein,

Okey Dokey.

Fact is I was trying to say that our current most vocal and visual "leaders" seem to have a tight little grasp on their own hinieys and lack concern for anyone else. Until all of us learn that some time in the distant future race may not even be identifiable with out a DNA test.

As far as other deciding factors it will probably be left up to Darwin as to who wins.

Until then I really hope people learn to listen to each other and dial back the screeching.

April 4, 2012 at 10:09 p.m.

• One definition of second-hand citizen is "a person whose rights and opportunities are treated as less important than those of other people in the same society."...No human being in the United States of America is a second-class citizen.

You said "Stand on your own two feet and you will be successful and white people will be right by your side with a helping hand.".  ..lol,and you know this because?

Another case of superiority complex.

April 4, 2012 at 9:47 p.m.

• Budweiser
    So you are saying that minorities are SECOND HAND CITIZENS  in comparison to you and all the white race....I guess their leaders can't be President Obama,Atty. General Holder,Supreme Court justice Sonia Montemayor or other prominent leaders who have attained positions you never will because of the accident of your birth . You are piggy backing off the success of many ethenicities who make up the white race....I guess your hero can't be Glenn Beck ,Rush, and other professional race batters on your side.

Goverment is an equalizer unless you think civil rights legislation would have just came about without the help of government (we the people)....BTW do you have actual stats of voter fraud?...Careful,Texas just turned in their report to the justice department.

Can you give me a dollar figure on how much Jackon and Sharpton have made on the Trayvon case or are you just assuming?...Do you think talk radio hosts make any money spouting their hate?

April 4, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.

• Vet43.

You said, “We need leadership at local, state and national level to stand up and show the courage of statesmanship and bring the nation together. This means all leadership, be it religious, political, industrial or educational.”

Ok how can that be done when you have Sean Hannity, Al Sharpton, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Jesse Jackson, and Congressman Bobby Rush controlling the air waves? This is why I want Media Reform to make journalism into a license profession and hinders uneducated dropouts like Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Al Sharpton from obtaining a TV news show.

You said: “It is heart breaking to see and hear the rage and hatred from folks that really do not even have a dog in the fight (poor analogy given recent events). It seems that there is bouncing ball rationality among our citizens. Bounce high = Rage. Hit bottom = indifference.”

The rage you see is based on personal feelings. Of course someone, an older conservative white male, might say take personal feelings out of it. Well some who have a history of being pulled over multiple of times in life would take the Trayvon Martin personally. I also find it funny that some people are talking both sides of their mouths when racial issues spring up. One Poster, RadioBabe, place the entire racial fire on President Obama. The poster refuses to reply to my comment. That the racial problem began the moment the local authorities refuse to press charges on Mr. Zimmerman. On that token I have yet to hear locals talk about people on their side of the fence as much they shoot their arrows at Sharpton and Jackson.

Mr. Williams

April 4, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.

• Using the term in this letter. "People of Color", the white man in not your enemy! It is your government and your self appointed leaders like Jessie and Al. Their goal is to keep you down in order to control you. They get their power from this. The recent shooting of the black teenager is being used to produce tons of money for Al and Jessie. Did you hear anything about the white kid that was beaten by two blacks while they told him this is what happens when you are white? Of course not! Right now the government and self appointed leaders are telling people of color that they can't get a picture ID to vote. They are just not smart enough to stand in front of a camera I guess. Hey, it is not white people saying that minorities are too stupid, it is their leaders. A national poll taken indicated the majority of blacks were in favor of a photo ID. It appears that the Hispanic people are the ones two stupid to stand in front of a camera. Or is it that they want illegals to vote illegally? Again, it is not the white race that is the problem. It is your government and self appointed leaders. Until you take responsibility to make something of yourself, you will always be second class. Stand on your own two feet and you will be successful and white people will be right by your side with a helping hand.

April 4, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.

• John

As much as I despise piling on, I just can't seem to grasp the meaning of your posts.

It reads as though you're trying to describe a caste system and that you are at war with the hundred or so ethnicities that make up the so -called white race. It's an unwinnable war because you are alienating people that didn't have a dog in this fight but now they do.

April 4, 2012 at 9:14 a.m.

• Mr Lara, have you been eating those crazy mushrooms again? Boy are you full of crap. Stick a sock in it man.....please.

April 4, 2012 at 8:34 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 4, 2012 at 8:05 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 4, 2012 at 3:28 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 4, 2012 at 3:26 a.m.

• No, Mr. Williams, it is you who miss the point. The continued theme of this blog and it's commentors is the right of so-called minorities is to assume the right of a privilaged class in this country through exploitation of popular media.

April 3, 2012 at 10:10 p.m.

• johnlara,
    let me see if I have this right... The haves needs to build up the have nots and the haves need to quit being lazy and making up excuses for not doing it.

Is that correct?

April 3, 2012 at 9:28 p.m.

• Bighorn.

You are missing the point.

April 3, 2012 at 7:18 p.m.

• John Lara.

You really impressed me today. You are telling the truth especially about potential economic and political power. The whole Fish narrative you made is spot on. I am glad you made that comment instead of me.
    Someone on Facebook, a few years ago (arguing over Keith Richards) , told me why I was calling B.S. on Black Wealth because he said NBA/NFL black players and people like Eddie Murphy on TV etc. I told him this, “There is a difference between Wealth and being rich”. People like Shaq, Michael Vick, Michael Jordan, and others are rich because they play ball and playing a sport doesn’t created an industry that actually build product. If anyone of them dies tomorrow….the stock market will continue as usual. Folks like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Warren Buffett create an industry that creates, build, or improved a product. If any of them die, like the late Steve Jobs, would have a ripple effect in the economy. Why, because their product make Western society what it is today.

Mr. Williams

April 3, 2012 at 7:16 p.m.

• And we would all to agree being a single mid 40's, preachy, claimor of false creditials, and is only semi-eduacted and who calls high acheivers "losers" crosses all concievable racial lines.

Right, John?

April 3, 2012 at 6:53 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 3, 2012 at 5:48 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 3, 2012 at 5:41 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 3, 2012 at 5:29 p.m.

• Mike,

I have no issue whatsoever with your statement. My core belief comes from deep in my past. I spent a great deal of time with my Grandfather who could been a stand in for Aticus Finch. I remember when I was about 10 he owned and ran a motor court and small store in Springdale AK and I would spend summers with him. He had a nice old black man that worked for him and one day I used the "N" word in front of the old gentleman and it really hurt him. Granddad took me aside and told me I had no right to use hate filled words and I was never to do that again. Then Grandma got involved and I learned the taste of soap.

Latter that night my grandparents sat me down and explained their belief in the dignity of man. They believed that every human anywhere had the right to be treated with dignity and respect. It was only their behavior that could diminish a persons soul and basic worth to mankind. They explained there were many things in others cultures and belief systems that they did not agree with but as long as we had to share the planet we would have to learn to live and let live.

All this was back in the early 50's and I believe if is still true today and probably more important than ever given the state of emotional turmoil we are witnessing in these times of distrust. It is heart breaking to see and hear the rage and hatred from folks that really do not even have a dog in the fight (poor analogy given recent events). It seems that there is a bouncing ball rationality among our citizens. Bounce high = Rage. Hit bottom = indifference.

Sorry for my rant. I realize I will be perceived as naive but at least I know what a flower smells like. I recommend it to everyone. Stop and smell the flowers.

April 3, 2012 at 3:43 p.m.

• John Lara,
    Your statement:” If you move up in life, you’re a loser.” has me confused. Are you implying that all Hispanics (of course with exceptions) that have achieved success have done so only with help of the white society, and couldn’t have done so without them? If that’s what you meant, I certainly disagree with you. We all rely on other people’s money, be it our employers, our customers, our clients, our patients, regardless of their color. If that not what you meant could you explain. While there are plenty of Hispanics, whites and blacks that deserve the title of “loser”, those that have rose to success in life are not in that category. I do acknowledge that there’s a lot of resentment and jealousy towards achievers, and that’s probably in all cultures, but I’ve never known them to be labeled as losers.

April 3, 2012 at 11:47 a.m.

• vet43
    I know it's controversial to say but I believe we're all born with that racist gene but most of us grow out of it. We learn how to get along because of the diversity of the workplace.

We're always dividing whether it's work groups, gender, race, or ideology. I read long time ago and I believe it's still true today; we're more divided racially on Sunday than on any other day of the week, when we congregate to go to separate churches.

April 3, 2012 at 11:37 a.m.

• I think it is important to remember that being a bigot is not dependant on race or skin color.

Hate is the most distructive emotion of our species and the base cause of our deminished growth.

Open minds and hearts promote growth.

April 3, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.

• "How much anger it produces to be dependent on others...."

Mr. Lara I feel your pain I really wish there was a way to give money away that wouldn't cause such discomfort. Maybe throwing the money from a helicopter? That way it would be free for all and it would help assuage everyone's feelings about being dependent on the government, or even your employer for that matter.

April 3, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

• Bob

It's also the time to put away the scapegoats and slogans. When all you have to contribute to a racial divide blog is crime statistics and a slogan based on ideology, then we will continue with the divide. You can't have an honest dialogue unless you work on both sides of the ledger.

The media is just a scapegoat and a way to say" don't believe your lying eyes and ears."

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard that fish analogy in the past 30 years. If that only applied to defense contractors and oil companies. Just last week the senate failed to pass a bill to repeal the tax subsidies for oil companies. That $4 billion could’ve gone a long way in infrastructure projects to employ those in the inner city and toward helping financing student loans..Some people believe the myth that democrats are all about big government but they conveniently forget that Ronald Reagan grew government and it's been that way every since. In the 70s government had ~ 65% approval because everyone shared in the pie but now a lot of people are feeling the effects of income inequality.

There are a lot of people who were born on third base and think they hit a triple.

Unemployment is at 8.3% nationally and traditionally twice that high in the inner cities. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps only works on a MORE level playing field. Stay in school and get a secondary education is great advice but tuition rates are sky high and school funding has been cut drastically because some states don't want to raise property taxes but at the same time they give corporate tax breaks. It's all about misplaced priorities and a belief in trickle down economics'.

I still believe the words of Atty. General Holder when he said “"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards."…People on both sides are scared to say maybe we were wrong but let’s sit down and take the first step toward understanding; knowing full well it will take decades to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

April 3, 2012 at 9:46 a.m.

• There are some of us that feel when the governement began to take responsiblity for it's citizen's own well being, our entire society began decline as the citizen's increasingly shurk what had once been their sole independence. An easier life is promised by the higher authority, thereby allowing it's consituents to become perpetual adolescents.

I'd submit that this case of Zimmerman/Martin is nothing more than a small blip on the radar (although not for those involved), and NOT the "tip of the iceberg". Acts of violence are much, much more common within racial lines than between the races. Media attention fans the flames of reactionaries and focuses it audience's eye on what it feels will increase it's share.

If you want to truely address violence issues, try exploring domestic violence and expend your energy towards resolving it's growth.

April 3, 2012 at 6:57 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 3, 2012 at 2:20 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 3, 2012 at 1:35 a.m.

• In reply to: stillthewaywardwind and others. For yours and other stated reasons and facts of crimes and violence regardless of whom committed the crimes is the reason that we must have a dialogue, develop and implement a plan to stop all of this unnecessary mudslinging across racial and ethnic lines. It is extremely critical that we find a resolution in a most expeditious way to come together as one. We may never get everyone on board, but we have to let common sense and decency dictate what is wrong and how do we make the necessary changes that will lead us to unite. Otherwise, life as we know it will continue to deteriorate and hate will become a way of life.

April 2, 2012 at 11 p.m.

• Writein..."Ok…let’s play that game. Most Rapes in America are intraracial (ie: White on White Crime). Most Crimes in Wall Street are White on White are too. Why hadn’t you mention that part? Maybe you don’t want to mention that part because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Am I right? Be honest."

Okay, I'll be honest. I didn't bring up those topics because they weren't part of the conversation. Bobmunoz27 was writing about the racial divide in America. He is concerned about the large number of young people of color who die violently in this country and had some ideas about why that is. I responded with ideas of my own about the same thing. A white guy raping a white girl or a white Wall Street lawyer working to take over a business is simply not part of the equation of why young men of color die violently. THAT is why I didn't mention them.

I responded to his points in an HONEST and respectful manner. I stated why I disagreed with him but did not insult him. I certainly had no idea that you would get your panties in a wad because of my response to his post.

April 2, 2012 at 10:33 p.m.

• writein,
    Education is essential to success.

That steak might feed 1 person for one day and that is a lovely thought, but multply that steak by a millions. Do you have millions and millions of steaks? Is dependency on others for handouts what you think is the path to solving the division? What happens when you run out of cattle to carve steak from?

Education... not stagnant repeating of the same old games generation after generation.

You got a nice list there but nothing in it solves your problems.

April 2, 2012 at 10:29 p.m.

• Mike..."One last thing Bob,I hope the individual mandate and the whole health care law goes down on ideological lines because then the onus will be on the GOP and we know they won't do a thing..Maybe tort reform & HSA's lol...."

I have always had respect for your opinions and your ability to state them even when I disagree with you. In this case, I do not believe the mandate for requireing citizens to purchase insurance can stand. I have next to my computer my copy of the Constitution and I can find no place where the govenment has the authority to require people to purchase anything.

Some people say the Commerce Clause in Article I, Section 8 is the authority the president uses for this mandate: "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes" only gives the government the power to REGULATE (Webster's: to bring under the control of law or constitutional authority; to bring order, method or uniformity to) the commerce between states, NOT to require commerce; not to force formerly free citizens to buy insurance or anything else.

I suggest to you that the ninth and tenth amendments, restricting government authority and expanding citizen rights control this argument. This is NOT an ideological stance; it is a consitutional one. I believe the Court will follow the trump suit -- the Constitution -- and strike down at least this part of the law.

By the way, what is this guff the president is giving the Supremes about their not being elected so they shouldn't be thinking about overturning a law that was passed by Congress and signed by him? Has the fool never heard of Marbury vs Madison?

April 2, 2012 at 10:18 p.m.

• Waywardwind.

Your questions and comments is the one of the reasons for anger directed at you. You and other conservatives used the Black on Black Crime as a distraction of the topic of Trayvon Martin. I shall be bold and answer the questions you ask Bob.

Whose fault it is for gangs in Victoria? I’ll tell you straight up. It is EVERYONE’s Fault. Your problem is that you refuse to put on the next man’s shoes. Why is it everyone’s fault? Well I’ll tell you as a young black male. It is the breakdown of the family and men refusing to be men. Besides that part the community at large continues to vote for or favor economic and education plans that don’t favor low income families or Minorities. Plus on top of that, some people are discouraged to be part of the local political process. How can I tell? Well look at the past Victoria Advocate opinion pages and the voting patterns in the crossroads area over the past 15 years. (Good Ole Boys Network)

You also put out the hhscenter number to distract from the real issue. Ok…let’s play that game. Most Rapes in America are intraracial (ie: White on White Crime). Most Crimes in Wall Street are White on White are too. Why hadn’t you mention that part? Maybe you don’t want to mention that part because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Am I right? Be honest.

Mr. Williams

April 2, 2012 at 10:11 p.m.

• bobmunoz27..."Let's not forget that people of color die violent and horrible deaths daily and little is said."

Yes, they certainly do. But, WHO is it that is doing the killing of those peole of color you are so concerned about? "While African Americans comprise 13.5% of the U.S. Population, 43% of all murder victims in 2007 were African American, 93.1% of whom were killed by African Americans." http://www.hhscenter.org/bonbstat.html

"Compound that with the living and social conditions of the majority of people of color. Don't you think that this is a recipe for disaster?"

Whose fault is this? Now, I understand that there are certain neighborhoods where this is not true -- places that the police call for backup before going into. I know that there a lot of people in gangs in Victoria. Do YOU blame that on the white people of Victoria? I understand that a lot of the gang members come from broken homes or homes in which there never was a father figure, possibly a home where the mother has no idea who the father is. I understand this is a difficult way to live and grow up, but is it the fault of the white people of Victoria that young black and hispanic teenage girls are having babies with no hope of being able to care for them?

" Even though they use the term "Mexican" when they speak of undocumented people, many of these folks are not from Mexico. We show no concern for other undocumented folks from Europe or Canada. Can that be because most of them are white?"

Perhaps it is because there aren't millions upon millions of them. I don't know what the rate is for illegal immigration of Canadians or Germans into the United States, but I'd be willing to bet is somewhere between small and none. I understand that many illegals cross from Canada headed south, but they are mostly NOT Canadian. A great many are from the middle east.

"if you have not noticed the Trayvon Martin Case has become the tip of this insidious iceberg that is going to melt at anytime now..."

Yeah, I noticed that the news media -- especially NBC -- is fanning the flames of hatred and division by broadcasting altered 9-1-1 tapes of the call Zimmerman made. I've noticed the Black Panthers have placed a bounty of $10,000 on Zimmerman. I have noticed that Sharpton and Jackson are engaging in their usual race baiting; ie, "No justice, No peace." I've noticed that there have been several black on white assaults, attempted murders and murders since the story of the Martin death broke and there hasn't been much mention in the news media, none in state houses a thousand miles away and none in Congress. Why do you suppose that is?

April 2, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.

• Itisi.

Since you and others turn this blog about Healthcare. Yes you are right it is important to teach the man how to fish like it says in the Bible. Here is the thing you conservatives refuse to mention, what about in the meantime? It also says in the Bible that a certain someone fed thousands with fish and a loaf of bread. If a man is staving and asking for beard crumbs, I’ll give him a steak.

Mr. Williams

April 2, 2012 at 8:55 p.m.

• Bob.

I am happy that you post this blog without anger and resentment. I am a black man, age 30, I have never seen such ignorance flowing from the mouths of people. I also find it funny that this topic is now about Health Care rather than the real topic.

There is a view point that certain groups should be looked at, talk to, and talk about like children rather than adults. Some of that viewpoint has been expressed on these forums daily. It is always “them’ or ‘they” that should ‘bow” to the majority or the older conservative male posters. Case in point, there was a poster who suggested that all Muslims are untrustworthy. He based this on 9-11 and Middle Eastern wars. When challenged he suggested that I am just ‘poppy oscared’ (in the words of that person). Then with the Martin Case, he talks about his mistrust of young black men with hoodies with pap music. I in turn asked what about young country white guys with goatees, cowboy boots, and Hank Williams, Jr playing in the background scaring a person of color? It seems to me that the person-in-question either doesn’t see the connection or refuse to accept the errors of his ignorant thinking.
    Some people on this site blame President Obama or some other false boogieman for all of their problems, especially issues about race when in reality it is them. This problem many have started way before ‘Mommy and Daddy’ met. They should put themselves in the shoes of others and experience the lives of others, especially the prejudice that would go against them.

As for it to defuse, I do not know with the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, or Glenn Beck controlling the microphone every day and night. This is my belief in what will defuse the Racial Divide in the long term.

1) When the population becomes equal. Meaning when the majority becomes equal to or lesser than minority populations together.

2) When the Y Generation, which I am a part of, becomes takes over leadership of the country from the Baby Boomers.

3) The destruction of Economic Injustice.

4) Reform in Education and media.

5) The destruction of the “Good Ole Boys” Network.

Mr. Williams

April 2, 2012 at 8:28 p.m.

• I don't know if we are #1 or #2 here in Texas in the uninsured category. If we aren't #1, I can't figure out why.

Here are some other interesting stats ( I have a link but am purposely not posting it so you will think it is opininon and not facts)
    Health Insurance Coverage in Relation to Level of Educational Attainment
    Another factor that increases the likelihood of being uninsured is the level of educational attainment. Texas has lower rates of high school and college graduates than the national average. There is a strong correlation between education and income as well as between income and insurance.

Those who have more education on average earn more money and have insurance coverage.

•Among uninsured adults born in the US, 56.3 percent have a high school diploma as their highest level of education; 16.5 percent have not completed high school and 39.8 percent have a high school diploma.
    •Among uninsured adults born outside the US, 73.7 percent have at most a high school diploma; 46.8 percent have not completed high school and 26.9 percent have a high school diploma. (ERIU, 2005)
    In 2000, Texas had a lower percentage of high school (75.7 percent vs. 80.4 percent) and college graduates (23.2 percent vs. 24.4 percent) in the 25-and-older-population compared to the national average. In addition, over half of all Hispanics in Texas over the age of 25 did not have a high school diploma (Murdock et al., 2003). This is significantly higher than other ethnic populations in the state.

Until the people that are struggling figure out an education is worthy of their time all the Obamacares on the planet will not help them. It may make everyone a little more equal from a health care standpoint but that's really all. The same people will continue to struggle, they will probably just be a little healthier doing it.

So have we solved the problem of the great race divide yet or is the United States not having Obamacare what has held this great country back all this time?

April 2, 2012 at 7:11 p.m.

• One last thing Bob,I hope the individual mandate and the whole health care law goes down on ideological lines because then the onus will be on the GOP and we know they won't do a thing..Maybe tort reform & HSA's lol....I just read where 90% of Texans would be insured if the health care stood.

BTW That wish was strictly political because I know that 20% of Americans will be hurting without a job or any means of health insurance..~50,000 DIE each year because of no health insurance...You didn't mention the Ryan budget which will privatize Medicare which will mean about $6000 more a year for seniors and I pity those 55 years old because if they happen to find an insurance company who will take them..the price will be sky high.

April 2, 2012 at 5:31 p.m.

• This is an issue the democrats need to fix, because they believe that it easier to take food off of some one else’s plate and give it to someone else. A man comes over to me, and says could have one of those fish you have caught, well I have a better idea, why don’t I teach you how to fish, therefore you can provide for yourself and your family. Poverty breeds poverty, and the democrats are very well versed in this so called moral obligation, so they claim. However it is nothing more than a diversion to trap folks into believing the government will take care of the needs of those that live in poverty. Those that live by the hands of the government will never find success or wealth because their hands will always be tied to the government…

April 2, 2012 at 4:54 p.m.

• Here are four main factors that contribute to Texas’ high number of uninsured:

" Many Texas jobs don’t offer insurance. Texas has a higher number of retail and service jobs, as well as a decently large agricultural sector, all industries that are less likely to offer health benefits. So while Texas’ unemployment rate of 8.2 percent beats the national average, the state falls below national trends on employer-sponsored health coverage. Seventy-one percent of the uninsured in Texas are part of a family that includes a full-time worker, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Put another way, 63 percent of uninsured, working-age Texans do have a job —just not an offer of insurance to go with it.

The Medicaid program is relatively limited. As I touched on in an earlier post, some states have used Medicaid waivers to cover low-income populations they’re not required to cover. Texas doesn’t do this much: The state covers some optional populations, pregnant women and those in long-term care, but largely sticks with the federally-mandated minimums. That means a decent number of residents who might receive coverage in another state don’t in Texas.

Insurance rates are largely unregulated. Texas takes a pretty hands-off approach to regulating its individual market. The state does not require insurers in the individual market to sell to anyone who applies for a policy. Nor does Texas limit “rating” of customers, where insurance carriers charge more to older subscribers and women, who tend to have higher health care costs. Taken together, those two factors can make insurance prohibitively expensive - or unobtainable -- for those who are older or have a pre-existing health condition.

A large immigrant population. Non-citizens make up about one-quarter of Texas’ uninsured population, according to the Center for Public Policy Priorities’ Texas Health Care Primer. Regardless of immigration status, immigrants tend to have a higher rate of uninsurance than non-immigrants. Of the 1.2 million foreign-born, naturalized U.S. citizens in Texas, for example, 31 percent are uninsured, compared to 22 percent of U.S.-born Texans."

It's one of 4 reasons but as the title of your blog says it all; everything is divided along ideological and racial divide. ...One side has a superiority complex, any facts contrary to their OPINION has to come from the liberal media..lol..Notice no links to back up the bias statement.

April 2, 2012 at 4:41 p.m.

• I'm going to give this a few hours. If it survives that long and the advocate lets it stay, then I have a number of things to discuss surrounding this blog.

I really hope it syrvives that long.

April 2, 2012 at 4:26 p.m.

• "...Texas has the most uninsured citizens."? Really? Are you unaware of the fact that this statistic, frequently cited by the left wing, includes all residents of the State, including illegal aliens, who are most assuredly NOT citizens? Excluding illegal aliens, Texas' percentage of those lacking health insurance would probably drop ten to twenty places. Deporting all the illegals would do wonders for the taxpayers who are currently subsidizing our overstretched emergency rooms with their tax dollars, said tax dollars being spent to provide care to those who have no legal right to be in this country.

April 2, 2012 at 3:57 p.m.