Comments

• @Mike, I see you have been there too. My wife is the one that when we go after the big items, she has gone through consumer report, all info on the internet. If I felt like I had a phd, she, with out a doubt is the "professor". Knowing something about what you want to purchase shocks most a sales people, because there are not too many of us. When it comes to technology, I have a daughter who has a double major, electrical engineering and computer engineernig. My other daughter is so advanced on technology that when we look for new technology, sometimes we are so far advanced that the salesperson feels intimidated.

January 27, 2012 at 2:24 p.m.

• @vet43. I can relate to what you are saying very well. There were some cars that I love and wanted to keep, but they had depreciated so much the longer I hung on to them the less trade-in I was sure to get. Sometimes just as your ring story, friends or family can contribute in their own way and really help someone out. I am always at loss to say how grateful I am, but in most cases a sincere "thank you" is all they want to hear. They are helping you out because they want to not because they want something in return.

January 27, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

• I can certainly relate, Bob,,ever try to but a stand alone fax,printer or copier these days? It is frustrating to do all your homework and then find out you know more than the salesperson...and that's with my low bar..lol

January 27, 2012 at 1:45 p.m.

• When I was younger I was like everybody else. It was important to have "new" things. I can still remember my first new car. A 1968 Chevy Nova. Loved it. Wanted to sleep in it. Then the next year a brand new Camaro was my must have! Then I found out how much my sweetheart Nova had dropped in value. Whew! That was a growing up lesson.

A few years later I got married and went ring shopping. I asked my folks for some advise and was told, "Anything you buy is going to be marked up 200% or more so think about how you want to send your money. My soon to be wife and I sat down and talked it over. She said her Mom had an idea. She had her great-grandmothers ring and would we like to get married with it? Not a hard decision. We plan on giving it to one of our granddaughters if she wants it.

Next time you see the latest a ad for that new does everything cell how important is it to know what Lady GaGa is doing today. If you can make and receive calls everything else is pure overhead.

January 27, 2012 at 1:32 p.m.

• Pat, and it is always on the big items that you replace every once in a blue moon. After 7-10 years have elapsed, I have difficult time adjusting to the current prices which just seem over the top. My first attempt is to shop locally, but most local owners cannot compete with the big "box" stores.and their price are usually higher. Buying a car and a house are the two biggest headaches I have ever experienced. But I did get an excellent price on a new truck since I have a friend who is a regional v..p. for an international car company. Thanks for your comments and I hope you learned something from my experience. Surely, you can relate to it.

January 27, 2012 at 1:02 p.m.

• I have to laugh WITH you on this one. It sound like so many forays into "shop locally" that we fall into because we want to believe it. If it makes you feel better,think of this-You could have been shopping for a CAR! The ultimate agony!
    Patrick Barnes

January 27, 2012 at 8:34 a.m.