Comments

• Jambalaya, crawfish (or sweet potato) pie, file-gumbo......

Looks like a fine time, Mr. Munoz! Thanx for sharing your get-together with us. Love the sweet puppy! Give that good doggie a pat on the head for me.

March 4, 2012 at 1:42 p.m.

• I have posted pictures of our Saturday feed. It turned out as usual, great time, too much food (take some home), and everyone showed up. We will do it again in 364 days. The first picture is of our dog, Emma, part German Short Hair Pointer and half English Spaniel. She is 2 1/2 years old and weighs 30 pounds. Fourth picture from the top,on the right, is my wife, Maria, talking to her Aunt.

March 4, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.

• We used Mrs. Whitfields sweet potato pie recipe. She was from Savannah Georgia, one of my favortie towns to go chill out and do very little: write, drink, eat, walk, read, and talk to good folks. The pies came out to perfection. My wife's contribution to the tonight's celebration is to be commended. Since I have a friend that does not eat red meat,I seasoned the red beans with smoked turkey. Now that they are done, I sauteeed garlic added some tomatoes, let it reduce to intesify the flavors, added some Worchestersire sauce to the beans and let them slowly simmer for about an hour. Four loaves of ciabbata bread will round out the main meal. This is on heck of a celebration.

March 3, 2012 at 5:04 p.m.

• Lots of work, but everything is looking good. I will have pictures that I will load on this page next week. I am working on the roux at the moment. It is right before noon. People will begin to show up around 5:00 P.M.

March 3, 2012 at 2:04 p.m.

• Lots of different stories about the origins of Gumbo YaYa. Some say that Paul Prudhomme invented it when he was at Commander's Palace. It is also said that his recipe for Chicken and Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo on pgs 202-203 in his seminal cookbook Louisiana Kitchen is the same recipe but he never copyrighted the name. The book is from 1984 so it may be hard to find.

March 2, 2012 at 3:44 p.m.

• I am slicing and dicing veggies today to make it easier tomorrow. I have 5 lbs. of cleaned shrimp and 3 lbs. of lump crab meat, 3 lbs.of boneless chicken breasts, and 2 lbs. of hot links. This is going to be a memorable Saturday.

March 2, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.

• @Pat B. Thanks so much for the wealth of information you have posted. It certainly gives me a deeper perspective and appreciation for gumbo and I will research out as I am curious and want to know more about gumbo yaya.

March 1, 2012 at 10:23 p.m.

• Being born in Baton Rouge from N.O. stock I love and make gumbo. When you say"of course okra" I rememebr when there was actually a time when okra,like a lot of other veggies,was in season and out. In the colder months,unless you had put some up in the freezer(which no one had) you made gumbo without okra. In fact I don't use it for my smoked duck/andouille gumbo or Gumbo YaYa. Mostly seafood gumbo gets okra. Plus we never mixed protien like you mentioned. Shrimp,crab and maybe oyster was one kind and chicken/duck,sausage another. Mostly for religious reasons-Catholics you know. I am also put off by people who think that gumbo should be thick. That's what the rice is for!LOL

March 1, 2012 at 4:37 p.m.

• Bob

Great blog, now you made me hungry, so now I'll add it as an appetizer Friday night when we ask" where do you wanna go eat fish...:-)

Interesting ingredients but I bet as all great chefs, you left out that secret sauce that makes it all special.... And don't forget to tape it or write your recipes down for future generations.

I used to work with a lot of Cajuns who always laid claim to the best gumbo ever. They all said Louisiana had the best gumbo but it depended on who you asked because they could be talking about, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans gumbo because as you say, the ingredients were all about local taste....

I don't have to tell you to have a good weekend because you obviously are

March 1, 2012 at 2:32 p.m.