Comments

• gyro,

Your pettiness never ceases to amaze me, at least I correct my grammatical errors or admit to them which is a more than I can say for you my jahidist marytry.

;-)

June 10, 2010 at 9:43 p.m.

• If people were required by law to vote, I'd hate to see what some of them would DO with that vote. I'm just ornery enough that if I was required to do something I didn't want to do, I'd probably vote for the biggest crook I could find just out of spite. If people don't want to vote, and don't take the time and spend the effort to determine the candidates stand of issues, we are all better off if they DON'T cast a vote.

June 10, 2010 at 5:20 p.m.

• I hear people complain that all politicians are the same. Some just lie better than others. No matter what they promise to do they just don't follow through once elected. Is it any real surprise that apathy has grown to the point that so few choose to vote? Is it possible that people have just grown tired of being disappointed over and over again?

June 10, 2010 at 4:21 p.m.

• But I see, I made a mistake with my terminology, the terms should be civil right and civic duty not civic right and civic duty.

June 10, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

• @Gyro

You are a sucker for punishment aren't you?

A civic right can also be a Constitutional right, in this case the civic right to vote is enshrined in the Constitution.

How a person ideologically aligns themselves with civic duties and rights are a factor in making a decision to either be for or against compulsory voting.

Here is an argument against compulsory voting:

"A common argument against compulsory voting holds that voting is not a civic duty, but rather a civil right. While citizens may exercise their civil rights (free speech, marriage, etc.) they are not compelled to. Compulsory voting can be seen as infringing a basic freedom of the citizen. Some consider the fining of recalcitrant voters to be more oppressive still."

June 10, 2010 at 4:14 p.m.

• The State of Georgia had a law on the books in 1777 stating :

"Every person absenting himself from an election, and shall neglect to give in his or their ballot at such election, shall be subject to a penalty not exceeding five pounds; the mode of recovery and also the appropriation thereof, to be pointed out and directed by act of the legislature: Provided, nevertheless, That a reasonable excuse shall be admitted."

Who would agree with compulsory voting? Australia has mandated attendance at a polling station since the 1920's and since then turnout is consistently in the 90th percentile.

Of course, I guess it depends on whether you believe it's a civic right but not a civic duty to vote.

June 10, 2010 at 3:36 p.m.

• I totally agree with you Observer. I will also continue to do my patriotic duty. As I can see where my husband is coming from, I still believe that my vote will make a difference, therefore I vote. But, some people might not see it the same way we do, and maybe a little more apt to give up.

June 10, 2010 at 3:18 p.m.

• not a sheep makes some good points. That said, the more of us who take the position that one vote can do nothing, the fewer of us are left to determine who will occupy the elected offices in this country. While I have been frustrated, annoyed and disgusted on occasion with positions taken by some politicians for whom I have voted, if I just give up, I am ceding control of everything from my precinct to my country to those who are willing to make the effort to vote. So, I will continue to trudge to the polling place every time there is an election because it is the right and patriotic thing to do.

June 10, 2010 at 1:04 p.m.

• Unfortunately I did not see your initial request, so I will use this time to say why I think there was a low turnout. I will start off by saying I do not claim to be an "all knowing" person, and I cannot "speak" for everyone else, but I do have an opinion on why the voter turnout was low, and that is based on my own experiences, and by others comments to me. I know many people that feel disillusioned with government right now. Several people ask why I even listen to talk radio/news shows because their exact words were "It doesn't matter, we can't change anything." I believe this has a large impact on whether someone is going to show up to vote or not. Many people feel that government officials do not take into consideration the "voice" of the people. I am not saying I agree or disagree, but this is what is happening to Americans from all over, big cities and small towns. I think people are truly losing faith in voting and their politicians. I will end on something my husband said to me last night (and we very rarely discuss politics, because he really just doesn't get involved), he asked me "If everyone is so unhappy with what politicians are doing, yet these politicians were elected by these very people that are now unhappy, what's even the point? If politicians are just going to do whatever when they get elected, and if they aren't doing what's in the best interest of those very people that elected them, what could any of "us" possibly do about it?" The question posed by my husband actually made me somewhat sad, because I knew that even though he does not get involved, or keep up with politics (besides what I commonly stand on my soap box and rant and rave about them), the disillusionment with politicians and the government had somehow trickled down to him. That this man who is usually happy to just "go with the flow" and who never chooses liberal or conservative, as long as those politicians are "doing right by the people", has now given up hope on politicians/government. And, if this far removed from politics, retired Marine, small business owning, blue collared, hard working American has lost faith, how many others have done the same?

I know there will be many that disagree with things I have said, there always are, but this is just an simple observation I have made.

June 10, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.

• I think it is easy to dismiss voting because it does take a little effort to do so. For example, you have to find out where to vote and make sure you are registered. If you move, you have to update the voter registration. I did this, hoping to vote in the elections. I made it to my voting spot, already chose my candidates on the machine, and then was told I couldn't vote because I did not renew the card in time. It must have been like a month or so ahead of election day that I renewed it.

That was pretty frustrating. So something so simple, like voting in local elections, becomes something way too difficult to prepare for. That doesn't even count researching the candidates and choosing one that holds similar views as my own. Heck, I even met with one candidate for lunch!

June 10, 2010 at 9:40 a.m.