Comments

• Mr. Matthews.

People do not vote for various reasons. Here are some of the reasons you could consider.

1) The “write-in” clause is flaw. I, as a voter, can not sign a “write-in” petition if I voted in a primary.

2) Filling and Running for office should not have all the unnecessary red tape.

3) This area (Victoria and it surrounding counties) has been gerrymandered for years. My voice doesn’t matter.

4) The local business elite controls the politics. This isn’t democracy, but a local oligarchy.

5) This is my opinion, people in this AREA do not have hope. People who doesn’t have hope, they chest beat to the wind.

May 20, 2010 at 6:20 a.m.

• pecos--I disagree. I think we are seeing voter interest rather than apathy. We had lots of candidates in the March primary. We had three people wanting to be County Judge and three wanting to be District Attorney. We had three candidates for Mayor and the city council races were contested as were the County Commissioners' races.

It seems to me that folks are starting to take more interest, FINALLY, and this is a good thing. However, it does need to be more.

There are statistics that prove out that voter education works. One of the problems this year was the infighting in the local republican party during the primary. And so many folks think their one little vote doesn't count. It does.

Personally, I resent those who don't vote, yet complain. They haven't earned the right.

May 19, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

• According to the Victoria County website the duties of the Country Elections Administrator are the following:

"The Elections Administrator's Office is authorized by the Texas Election Code. It allows for the creation of the position of elections administrator and assigns the duties of voter registrar, the duties of the election code placed upon the county clerk and other duties of the election code placed upon the administrator"

Not anyway in the above did I see the following duties:

1. Berate the electorate
    2. Publicly complain about the election turnout in an official capacity
    3. Act in a hypocritical manner (see item 2 as to why.)

I don't disagree with the feeling disappointment with low turnout but voter apathy is a valid response to lackluster candidates who fail to engage the electorate on any meaningful level.

I wonder if you would be better served by putting your questions to those who ran for office.

Thanks

May 19, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.

• You said.....
    "There are too many people complaining. Blogs and letters to the editors fill a portion of the web site and paper. E-mails flash about the internet containing the latest piece of mis-information. Some of the most offensive complaints are the malicious comments on local stories or during the election season about candidates. "

Seems that your personal feelings are being voiced in your offical capacity,. This trend seems to be common these days. I agree that apathy is increasing,but that might be attributed to government asking for the publics opinion and then doing what they want despite opposition.

I believe that your offical time would be better spent, enforcing sign rules, spending reports and all other election rules that are sometimes neglected by candidates.

May 19, 2010 at 7:32 p.m.

• I don't live in City Limits. So why would I vote on city water law?

May 19, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

• I did vote but we still have Slick Willie and the lap dogs!

May 19, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.