Comments

• 1. I'm pretty sure no one cared about your question

2. dead people still vote in south texas, probably in victoria

November 3, 2011 at 8:48 p.m.

• When I moved from Houston to Victoria, I went to the DPS office over by the mall and, like a good citizen, changed my address for my driver's license. The nice lady behind the desk asked me if I wanted to register to vote while I was there. There was nothing proving I was a citizen; just my TDL which has NEVER been proof of citizenship. This was my first experience with the infamous "motor-voter" law. If I was not a citizen, I could have been registered to vote by state of Texas and no one would have been the wiser.

November 3, 2011 at 7:17 p.m.

• EdithAnn...No, I don't think people are coming into the country illegally to vote. I do know that people come into the country illegally. Would they try to vote? I don't know. I do know that there are enough people here illegally that they could skew the results in some districts (or some precincts). Since I'm not a felon, I don't know all the ways people can to illegal things. I do believe that it is probably easier to stop them from doing it than to catch them later and perhaps try to undo an election that was tainted. Again, if only ONE votes, that's one too many.

November 3, 2011 at 6:58 p.m.

• College students and voting... that's kind of 6 of one or one half a dozen of another.

I went to TSTI (TSTC), in Waco, I had utility bills, rent recipes, bank statements ect. showing I live in McClellan County, but my TDL said I lived in Victoria County.

I didn't do it, but I guess technically, without having to show a photo ID in 77 and 78, that I could have voted twice in any elections held those years, once in Waco and again in Victoria.

November 3, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

• You know, I am writing in English. I am not sure why I am the target here. I asked a question, and stuck to that question, all through this thread. It is you and your BFFs that have gone everywhere with the comments. Not my fault you can't stay on task. Most folks are capable of reading what is posted on this forum. You really don't need to try to explain it to them.

But I will keep my opinion that the incidence of illegal residents attempting to vote is relaively small, if at all.

And you hold to your's that voter fraud is in epidemic proportions and needs to be fixed by requiring a photo ID.

That way, we can both be pleased. Okay?

November 3, 2011 at 6:18 p.m.

• To actually answer your question, yes I do. When my 87 year old father gave up his TDL a couple of years ago, he opted to not get a Texas ID. He said he need it. And he hasn't.

You all still have not provided me with anything that says non-US citizens are trying to vote. Unregistered or dead voters (since y'all are stuck in the 60's) are one thing, but non-US citizens? I just don't think so.

But I know this--I can vote and I will vote.

November 3, 2011 at 4:57 p.m.

• Gets,

I have an TDL and a birth certificate and a DD-214 to prove they are all real.

Now I am suppost to get a "Voters I.D.". The only preconceived notion I have is I am a citizen of the United States of America and I am not required to provide more identification beyound that.

No gas, No fire, No "voter I.D." and that is the truth.

November 3, 2011 at 4:19 p.m.

• Robertx.

Take a look at the redistricting of Texas House district 30. If you want to talk about fishy.

November 3, 2011 at 4:08 p.m.

• Here is the link.

November 3, 2011 at 4:06 p.m.

• You know....I remember it was 2004, and I was in college at the time. A certain DA (of Waller County) attempted to ban college students from voting.

November 3, 2011 at 3:50 p.m.

• Texas redistricting is one of the greatest voter frauds of all time

November 3, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.

• It goes on and on about voter fraud. It has been fixed already. That is if the Texas redistricting is upheald.

I really think it is still a DNA test the Republicans want, along with proof you arrived on the Mayflower.

November 3, 2011 at 3:39 p.m.

• rollinstone,

The left never honestly pursues the truth nor will the left ever accept it. It's part of the chemical imbalance they all suffer from.
    You know it's the truth when they label it a "talking point" or claim that your information was copied and pasted off some right-wing website.
    It's the only defense they have. They are bankrupt of intellectual honesty.

November 3, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.

• I get a chuckle out of people that gripe and complain about where's the proof about voter fraud and then when confronted with the evidence they say they aren't even going to look at it - now that really is a hoot.

And yes, I suppose we'll continue to carry on, hooting or otherwise - if that's OK?

November 3, 2011 at 2:41 p.m.

• Thank you, itisi--why did it take 28 comments to get you there? We could have been done in two comments. And just for the record, I'll stipulate that your links are probably from FOX or some other republican souce, so I'll not bother to check them.

Get Smart, I missed my comment where I said I was against it. You will have to point it out to me. And don't bother looking for a mention elsewhere. It won't be there.

By my calculations, your 10 day cycle is about to end, giving the rest of us a brief reprieve.

Let me just say--you guys are a hoot! Carry on--

November 3, 2011 at 1:57 p.m.

• Having to have voter photo ID cards will not do away with voter fraud. People can obtain fraudulent drivers licenses or other forms of photo ID fairly easily. Crooks, or those who know how to play the system, will still vote. It's those who cannot afford to cheat, or those who are too honest to, will be the ones excluded from voting.
    Personally, I think fingerprints should be used. They have it at DMV's, so why not have a voter registration card with the applicants fingerprint? Scan the finger print, a photo of the applicant pops up, along with signature, and they "all" must match.

November 3, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.

• EdithAnn,
    Here is a short list of election and voter fraud. The first one is just down the road from you in Gonzales. The list goes on and on from S. Texas, Dallas, Houston, and other location through out this country. Where have you been? I will ask you this, do you lock your doors, if so why? Does it have anything to with prevention? Come on you must be kidding me.

November 3, 2011 at 12:54 p.m.

• Polls indicate that 80% favor voter photo ID's, that includes 70% of African Americans and 63% of Mexican Americans. People are concerned that our sloppy voting system encourages corruption and the people that suffer the most are minorities. The link is an interview with John Fund of the American Spectator.

November 3, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

• After 2 wars in the Middle East and a massive waste of valuble resources (lives and money) we should wonder how well the past "intellegent" voters have cast thier votes.

November 3, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

• Let me give you and example of what I meant. Take my mom for instance. She was born into a very poor family 76 years ago. I'm talking poor, they lived in a tent and drank water out of a ditch. She was later adopted by a wonderful woman, but that didn't make things easier in the legal papers department. She didn't have a birth certificate since she was born at home. Her family moved alot. It was years later, that they had to go get a birth certificate and take a witness to verify that she was born and on what date.
    If I didn't have the papers that were drawn up..say they were lost or burned in a fire. I doubt I could find it if I needed to. I would not know where to start.
    There are immigrants here legally, that probably will have a hard time getting the papers together that fast.
    There are more people, like my mom, that you think in this Country. Past circumstances will make it difficult for them and they will probably just give up and never vote again. And yes, these kinds of people more often vote Democrat.

November 3, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.

• born2beme,

It kind of scares me that we have people who don't have enough intelligence to get an ID card voting for the leader of the free world.

November 3, 2011 at 10:29 a.m.

• WWW,it's called SPIN,just because you're selling doesn't mean I'm buying...:-)

Banks,really?..Give you a hint at what the NYT found out,these drivers license requirements come from GOP states...Now,unless states agree to pay for such requirement it would be akin the old poll tax...They get around that by requiring a copy of birth certificate which will cost the elderly and poor about $15...

November 3, 2011 at 10:09 a.m.

• The entire state of Oregon votes absentee.

November 3, 2011 at 10:06 a.m.

• And how will the homebound be able to vote? How about local residents that work out of the area?

In some countries people are proud to show thier purple thumb. Here we want to use DNA to allow citizens to vote.

November 3, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.

• Been around long enough to remember the Duke of Duval and as I recalled many of the voter's names could be found on tombstones.

Then there is the famous "Pole Tax". Maybe that is the kind of Voter I.D. somefolks really want.

I vote in every election and to be honest I did not see many busses from the valley outside the poles. Maybe it is more about intimination as apposed to identification.

November 3, 2011 at 9:24 a.m.

• a better law would be getting rid of all absentee ballots except for military and military contractors

November 3, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.

• election day fraud is small peanuts compared to absentee voting fraud

who's going to check anything on an absentee ballot ?

November 3, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.

• Of course people in nursing homes are eligible to vote.

The problem is vote handlers walking around (usually with help from a worker in the home) and registering people to vote. They then request an absentee ballot for that person, intercept that absentee ballot, then vote for that person. All without them knowing.

In smaller South Texas counties 50 to 100 votes can swing an election. Hell that's enough to swing an election in this county.

November 3, 2011 at 9 a.m.

• Were. Were. Were.

I am asking about NOW.

And if this is truly about Lyndon Johnson and what happened in the 60's, why is it just now being addressed?

The allegation is that it is occuring now, yet no one has been able to provide any information on it of any sort.

People in nursing homes are not elegible to vote? Since when?

November 3, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

• couple of things ......

1. Dead people vote before anyone else in South Texas. In the words of a relative and close friend of Mr. Parr 'so and so was a life long democrat and would want their vote to count from beyond the grave'. Dead people still vote to this day in South Texas but the big vote grab is people in nursing homes for absentee voting.

2. Unregistered / Illegal voters were allowed to vote by county election officials, they just filled in for registered voters that never showed up if need be. This wasn't people sneaking in to vote but county officials were in on the scheme. Hell the poll workers practically filled out the ballots for them.

3. For the above voting strategies to work it takes a group of people with a firm grip on the whole process. The illegals were simply pawns in a white man's game looking for a couple of bucks and a free lunch for playing along. A person is in charge of rounding up people, he's paid by the van or bus load and he in turn pays people to go vote. The group in charge has little regard if a person is legal, illegal, male, female, of age, under age they just heads. At the end of the day a huge 'election party' is held lot of food, booze and music as a pay back for all involved and it's all a tax write off.

Much of the above still takes place to a smaller extent all over South Texas.

November 3, 2011 at 8:34 a.m.

• Okay, Get Smart--time for you to do just that—get smart.

I never said I had a problem with it. I have a voter ID card. It’s orange and I got it from George Matthews’ office. I have never been denied the opportunity to vote. Ever.

I asked a question, and not a one of you Einsteins on this forum (i.e., itisi, rollingston, observer or you) have been able to answer the question. I just wanted to know what the incident rate is NOW of voter fraud by illegals voting. Also asked what their motivation would be to do so.

Now, if you want to explain this as a reaction to what happened in Texas in the sixties, go ahead. For some reason, that does not surprise me and I figured that was where you'd go. Back over 40 years! After all, you do seem to have a fondness for 60's television characters.

Do a quick google search. It is well documented that this is part of the republican agenda as born2Bme said.

But, in any event--this was fun. Thanks for playing.

November 3, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.

• The ONLY reason it is coming up now is because the republicans are afraid that President Obama will get elected again and they are doing everything they can to make it harder for his voters to vote. You never heard a word about this when President Bush was in office.
    Many poor, elderly, and minorities do not drive, nor to they travel, and do not have a photo ID. Out of those people, many do not have their BC handy, and will have a hard time locating it. BC's are located in the Counties in which they were born. How many elderly people know how to get theirs? There's not much time for them to get the papers together and many of them will assume that they will have to pay to get things.
    This new law is going to have negative effects on those who have nothing to begin with and are clueless on how to get what they need for the photo ID's.

And as hard as it is for you to believe that anyone is less educated than you are, it is a reality.

November 3, 2011 at 1:05 a.m.

• WWW--do you really think folks are coming into illegally to vote? What would their motive be? Seriously.

November 2, 2011 at 11:07 p.m.

• Dig-- I don't know where you vote, but my experience in Victoria County is this: You show your voter registration card that you got from George Matthews' office when you go to vote. If you show up without that, you give your name and address to an election judge, and they look you up in their big ol' book of registered voters (where you would not be if you were not a registered voter.) If you don't have a card, or are not in the book, you don't vote.

How are illegals voting again?

November 2, 2011 at 9:31 p.m.

• EdithAnn...If even ONE person voted who was not a citizen, that's one too many. How many? I don't know. I don't know if anyone does know. I'll tell you this, though; the bank where I work has never had anyone hide inside the building or break in at night to steal stuff but the bank still has procedures in place and precautions taken every morning to ensure that there isn't anyone inside who shouldn't be. It's called an ounce of prevention.

November 2, 2011 at 7:37 p.m.

• Apparently not a problem at all.

November 2, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.

• Since this is about preventing voter fraud, I'll ask the question again--

Just how prevalent is voter fraud currently in Texas? How many illegals are trying to vote?

November 2, 2011 at 11:11 a.m.