Comments

• The people who delivered our phone book were a man and his wife who was atleast 6 months pregnant so that provided a job. I remember seeing an ad placed in the Advocate so that generated money. The publisher made their money. etc;;;;;;;;;;;; it all has it's place

August 12, 2011 at 2:23 p.m.

• JLordtree - That's also a good point. On the same token though, you can type, for example, "Pediatricians in Victoria, Texas." And a list of all the pediatricians pops up with reviews and other information.

I think we're are the turning point of phone books becoming obsolete, but we still need another few years.

August 12, 2011 at 2:13 p.m.

• It's 2011, get rid of your phone books.

August 12, 2011 at 1:48 p.m.

• I use the phone book all of the time, especially if I know what I am looking for, but not sure who I am looking for (doctors are a great example). I would also include other professional services (auto, painters, etc)

August 12, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

• Gloria7 - That's a good reason to keep one. Thanks for that advice. Perhaps 50 years from now I can hold that book up and say, "Back when I was young..." : )

August 12, 2011 at 1:30 p.m.

• I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments.

FrancesG, that's a good con. It's true, not everybody uses the Internet or has a smart phone, though I'm sure the numbers of people using these two tools is much higher. But then what does this mean for phone book users?

Perhaps phone book companies can mail out a letter each year asking to respond on whether or not you would like a phone book. This will help eliminate the cost of mass printing as well as keep those who use phone books happy.

Great comments you all. Keep them coming!

August 12, 2011 at 1:29 p.m.

• Everybody don't have a internet connection. And don't want one. I use the book to find doctors, places I need to go. By looking up the phone numbers and the addresses in the phone book. I say keep it, or it will be a mess with people trying to find doctors, etc,.
    It is a handy book for me and a lot I know.

August 12, 2011 at 1:14 p.m.

• Hey J.R. I would hang on to it. Put it in a safe place under lock and key. Your great grand kids will love you for it . Wish I had a 1900 SEARS catalog still in it's package.

August 12, 2011 at 11:55 a.m.

• I find the phone book to be extremely useful even in today's technologically advanced environment. It was with sadness that I read recently about the plan to stop producing it. I don't use nor need a smart phone and I'm not always near a computer, but I use the phone a lot. I'm sure there could be some cost savings in discontinuing printing them but there are other less useful items that could be done away with first.

August 12, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.