Comments

• Riverboat,
    Perhaps there's a business opportunity in creating an online directory for throwing out mattresses and large limbs. :)
    Chris

April 28, 2008 at 8:12 a.m.

• Excellent point. Cell phones are a huge reason phone books are becoming obsolete. An increasing number of phone numbers aren't in the book because people use cell phones. And your cell phone remembers and stores the numbers of the calls you receive. Basically, your cell phone becomes your directory.

I'm not sure why we have a landline home phone and our cell phones, except Paula can't completely give up the tradition yet.

April 26, 2008 at 10:27 p.m.

• ph. books?!?!?  ppl are giving up thier home phones everyday.   how about cell phone directories???

April 26, 2008 at 8:47 p.m.

• CJ,
    If you put the name of the town in the search field, you should find all of the restaurant listings there. Let us know how that works for you.
    In terms of phone book usage, isn't it fascinating how fast that's changed? I couldn't have imagined going without a phone book just a decade ago.
    Chris

April 26, 2008 at 4:01 p.m.

• I actually used Crossroadsdining.com for the first time two weeks ago. I guess I never paid much attention to that banner that's been on the front page for a while now.  Probably was because if I see anything with the word "promotion" near it and I tend to stay away. My bad.

I think it is a great service and look forward to the addition of more restaurants.

One question: Is there a way we can select restaurants by city? Maybe the option is there and I just don't see it, like a drop down where you can select Victoria, Cuero, Yoakum, etc.

I don't use the phone book much either. If I need to look up a number I'll usually use the Internet on my phone or look it up online at home.

April 26, 2008 at 3:13 p.m.

• Dear Sugar,

Thanks for the tip about Fat Albert's. We'll have to try it the next time we're in Yoakum, home of our local editor, Becky Cooper. If you post your comments to the restaurant's listing at CrossroadsDining.com, I'm sure the owners will appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

April 26, 2008 at 11:49 a.m.

• Mr. Cobler - I guess I am a throwback, but I DO still use the phone book, both yellow and white pages, as much or even more than I used to. I guess some habits are just hard to break away from. I know I haven't been out to eat in so long, I don't even know what is out there. I have heard a lot of favorable talk about Fat Albert's in Yoakum, a new BBQ place, and they have live music, usually on weekends. I have only had a chopped beef sandwich from there and can tell you the meat was very tender and flavorful, like it had been smoked and babied for a couple of days on the pit. Some coworkers said the other meats are very good, and the side dishes, like corn casserole, are to die for. When I get the chance, I intend to check them out more thoroughly myself. They are also open on Sundays, a rarity in Yoakum. I know Yoakum could definitely use a good eating establishment. I really cannot tell you when there has ever been one worth a flip in this town....maybe now there is. If Fat Albert's is all that, I hope they stick around.

April 25, 2008 at 9:31 p.m.