Comments

• Glad we could get you taken care of and get your subscription started again. I also thank the circulation department for working through many such delivery challenges for our readers in more remote locations.

May 2, 2008 at 2:03 p.m.

• Thanks, Chris. I sent you an email regarding subscription. I would also be interested in mail delivery, if home delivery is not feasible. Looking forward to receiving the VicAd, hopefully one way or another.

April 30, 2008 at 4:49 p.m.

• Sugar,

If you want to e-mail me your address, I'll talk personally with our circulation director about your delivery options. I certainly want to get you the paper. Of course, home delivery is one of the biggest expenses in a newspaper operation, which is why the Chronicle took the step it did.  My hope is we can work something out for you.

Perhaps once you get the paper daily again you'll see that most of the features you mention are consistently in the same place in the Advocate. We can always do better, of course, and most readers want that predictability you describe.

Chris

April 30, 2008 at 7:25 a.m.

• Chris - I guess I am used to the predictable layout of the Chronicle. The obits are ALWAYS in the same section, usually the 2-3 pages before the op/eds, which are ALWAYS in the last 2 pages of the city section. I can open up the chronicle to any page in most any section, and know what will be there, and it will always be arranged that way. Comics encompass 3 pages, and are not split up. The food section is predictable, with certain features always in the same space. I guess more predictability is what I like.
    As for the mail delivery, yes it always runs a few days behind, but since I am always behind on my reading, that's alright by me. I eventually catch up. I know that routine is not for everybody. But the web sites also help one stay current. I don't hardly ever read the print version of the Vicad, mostly online, so I hate to complain since I am not sending you subscription money. I would get the Vicad delivered, but I live on a gravel road and was told in no uncertain terms a few years ago that they will deliver to the ENDS of the gravel road, where it meets a paved road, but not in between, which is where I live. Didn't make sense to me, but I clarified this with subscription services and indeed that was their policy. I am only about a half mile off the highway, but they couldn't see clear to drive that half mile to put a paper in my yard or box. Has this policy changed? I would actually love to receive the Vicad via delivery or mail. Can you help me with that? I would appreciate any info, or if this policy has changed.....

April 29, 2008 at 10:06 p.m.

• Dear Sugar,

I certainly can see why you'd like to keep reading your hometown newspaper. You must be a patient person to put up with mail delivery. Newspapers have long struggled with the postal service's slow and inconsistent delivery.

In terms of the Advocate's print organization, we're always looking to improve that. Daily, we feature lighter news on A2 and a community calendar on A3. The rest of the A section generally is devoted to national and international news. Our B section is Crossroads, which is devoted to local and region news, state news and obituaries. Our Viewpoints page generally falls in this section, too. Our C section is Sports.  Our D section is for features.

It sounds as if this print organization, though, could still be improved in your mind. What features do you regularly look for and have trouble finding?

Chris

April 29, 2008 at 7:58 p.m.

• Mr. Cobler - as I live outside of the Chronicle delivery area, I have had my Chronicle mailed for years now. Costs more (probably a LOT more) but to me it is worth it. Call customer service; they would likely be glad to sign interested subscribers up for mail service. I read the Houston Chronicle for the hard news; also to keep abreast of the news in Houston since it is my hometown. It helps the homesickness to some extent. I also appreciate the way the Chronicle is laid out, very organized. This would be a good model for the Vicad. A main section with world and national news; a city or metro section with local news and obituaries and op/ed in the same place every day. Then a business section, entertainment section, etc. I think readers really appreciate a paper that is organized, even if it is smaller, so they know where to find things EVERY DAY, without having to search haphazardly, be it in the print or online version.

April 29, 2008 at 7:23 p.m.

• Dear Mike,
    The Chronicle story indicated the  paper wouldn't be delivered beyond 100 miles from Houston. However, I don't know how precisely the newspaper is drawing the boundary. Edna would be within 100 miles of Houston, I think, but I don't know that you can get the Chronicle there.
    Robert,
    We are looking at updating our home page more frequently throughout the day.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Chris

April 29, 2008 at 6:21 p.m.

• I browse all three, online daily.

The VA website needs to be a little more organized, my preference is a layout similar to chron.com.  Too often I have to dig around to find a Vipers score and such. Updating the front page through out the day would also be nice.

April 29, 2008 at 10:21 a.m.

• I really miss that feel of my Sunday Chronicle and would like to know ,how far do i have to drive to get it.
    I have been a subscriber of the Victoria Advocate for some forty years, and I will continue that, but the Sunday Chronicle had the political columnist and the insight on the Houston Astros and Rockets I wanted.

April 29, 2008 at 9:51 a.m.