Comments

• I can't imagine how anyone could have been outraged at the photo of the daughter carrying her mother.  It's a reversal of roles is all.  The mother carried the vulnerable infant daughter at one point in time, cared for her and protected her through the years and now the daughter is doing the same for the mother.   It's beautiful.

December 23, 2008 at 10:28 a.m.

• Thanks for the reminder, VBB. I loved reading that book to our kids when they were little.

December 22, 2008 at 11:06 a.m.

• The picture reminded me of the story "Love You Forever" , which makes me cry every time.

December 22, 2008 at 11:05 a.m.

• If you cry over a photo it means that you've been deeply touched and it's an excellent pic.

December 20, 2008 at 1:46 p.m.

• The picture was beautiful and touching and by no means inappropriate.

My mother-in-law also had Alzheimers, and like the lady in the story had a body that hung on but a mind that was not there.  My daughter, who was in college when her grandmother was at her worst would go to the nursing home, sit in the bed and gather her 80 lb grandmother in her arms like a baby and rock her and sing to her.  Granny would immediately relax when for the most part her days were filled with moaning and crying....sometimes she would fall asleep.  My daughter would cry but felt good that she could bring some comfort to her grandmother who she loved so dearly.

People who find this picture offensive want to hide from the realities of life.....perhaps have some guilt about something they did not do for a loved one.

Political correctness would have us pretend that nothing troubling or painful exists.  Pain and suffering is a part of life..

December 20, 2008 at 10:41 a.m.

• it is probably in the top 10 of pics for the year!!     hint>>
    very powerful.  kinda like the guy who stood in front of the soviet tanks.

December 20, 2008 at 9:49 a.m.

• Thanks for the feedback, Freethinker and Little Blue Book. Isn't it fascinating how some people can see beauty in a picture and others can be outraged?

Re Joe Galloway's column, LBB, we don't have rights to post it online. Glad you're enjoying it in print.

December 20, 2008 at 9:43 a.m.

• Well the picture did not make me cry in fact I thought it was quite beautiful how it shows she cares so much for her ailing mother!

December 20, 2008 at 7:01 a.m.