Comments

• Hi Victorianbybirth,
    It's me, Leslie, again. Muniz was given a differed sentence in the robbery. That means if he stays out of trouble for a set amount of time, he stays out of jail. But if a judge thinks there's ample evidence he broke the law or otherwise violated probation, the judge can make him serve time for the original offense. And the judge gets to hear witnesses before deciding on the sentence.
    Hope this clears things up for you.
    Leslie Wilber, police and courts reporter

January 22, 2008 at 9:20 a.m.

• Leslie, thank you for responding.  That is my question, if he is going to go to jail for violation of probation then why wasn't he sentenced back when he was arrested?  I thought you were sentenced when you commit the crime & then you are placed on probation with the understanding that if you violate you will serve x amount of time.  Thats why I am confused about the hold up.  Any input would be educational.  Thanks

January 21, 2008 at 8:22 p.m.

• Hi Victorianbybirth,
    The judge is still hearing witnesses in Joshua Paul Muniz's sentencing. Just to be clear, Muniz isn't being sentenced for vandalizing the temple right now. He's being punished because the judge determined he probably violated probation. He  was on probation for a 2006 aggravated robbery when he was arrested on suspicion of painting slurs on the temple. Sentencing should finish up soon, but it won't be this week.
    Leslie Wilber, police and courts reporter

January 21, 2008 at 1:44 p.m.

• Thanks so much for responding to us, Chris.  I like the idea of having the rail items to bring the reader to the story inside the paper.  Many people are keeping up with the national caucuses and primaries and other recent news, such as Bush's trip to the Middle East.
    I can see where the local stories are very interesting and important also.  Thanks for trying for a balance.
    Also, I understand your point about the comics, that if you kept them on two pages for a year and then changed them, that another crowd would complain.  BUT...... my imprinted memory reminds me that the comics have been together on one page for a LONG time- at least 35 years. Ouch! I'm dating myself.  Not everything that's old or routine needs to be changed for change's sake.
    Whatever is done with the comics, it's fine in the end. Just glad that we can voice our point of view.

January 21, 2008 at 1:26 p.m.

• Also saw the lady who was shot finally talked to police.  What was the story behind that?  It would be nice if those blurb stories were followed through, also the kids with the stolen cars destroying property were arrested & there has been no follow-up.

January 21, 2008 at 10:52 a.m.

• Chris, it would be nice if follow up stories were done on local news like the guys & the temple, what is the hold up on their sentencing?  If one was going to jail for probation violation why is it taking so long?  For those of us that are clueless when it comes to those situations it would be informative to know how the process is handled.  Thank you.

January 21, 2008 at 10:30 a.m.

• Thanks, Bighorn, for the response. You sum up well what we're trying to do.

January 21, 2008 at 7:40 a.m.

• Chris,
    I'm sorry to inform some, but I buy and read the local newspaper for local and area events. Obviously, strong national news, perhaps with a local slant is what I'm looking for from the Advocate. I feel this is the role of local papers in smaller communties.
    Keep up the good work and thanks for your interest in our views.

January 20, 2008 at 7:31 p.m.