Comments

• Fatboy,

No, I didn't see any traffic stopped because they were coming off a smaller side street, Crestwood, while I was driving on an arterial with a green light. I wasn't looking at the traffic on the side street, although good defensive drivers should be doing that. I don't know whether this is a legitimate safety concern, but officers are at most risk on the job from traffic.

I did a quick search on the subject and found this recent example of two motorcycle officers being injured during a funeral procession. Everything carries risks, of course. If we as a community think this service is worth performing, that's fine with me. I've been fortunate enough to not have a funeral for a family member recently. I agree with paying our respects and stopping for processions.

The forum discussion I linked to on my post contains quite a few interesting other perspectives.

July 20, 2008 at 12:21 p.m.

• the escort does a drill that  the back unit stays  till main group passes then hurries to the next intersection.  I have never seen them blare out into the open intersection regardless of the  lamp color.  The route is taken into consideration as well.  Safety for all  is a factor as well.  Please don't hound on it.  I WANT THEM to stay doing this.  It's a great civic duty, paid or not.
    chris- by  chance did you not see cars pulled over or traffic not moving?  early sign of procession nearby.

July 20, 2008 at 12:08 p.m.

• I am with Chris about Sailor..  as George Lopez  friend always states in the SHOW .."You Cant Say Nothin"..hehheehe...
    ms ATX gurlee....... I still do as you.. pull over and turn down the radio and wait till the procession goes by and its just common courtsey taught to me also by my parents.... and people will follow your lead (sometimes)...because ..they dont know what is going on..so to be on the safe side they will also pull over..

July 20, 2008 at 10:40 a.m.

• Chris,
    Thanks for your condolences.
    Yes, they were all buried here in Victoria in the same cemetery.

July 20, 2008 at 10:31 a.m.

• Vietnam Vet,

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult four years. Were your family members buried in Victoria?

July 20, 2008 at 10:10 a.m.

• I've buried four members of my family over the last four years and I can tell you that the cost of police escorts are included in the funeral bill along with use of the hearse, etc.  At least this is the way it is with the funeral home I dealt with.

July 20, 2008 at 9:38 a.m.

• There is a fee for it and I think the funeral home takes care of it. Whether they add it on in their fee, I don't know. I do know that when the officers enter the intersection that make sure it's safe to do so. What irritatesme is that the traffic coming towards the processional doesn't stop to show respect. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, most don't even stop for emergency vehicles.

July 19, 2008 at 10:17 p.m.

• Sugar and Sandwich (a new combination?),

You make a good point about the service being a good reminder of what police officers do. That in itself might make the service worthwhile for the public to pay for it.

July 19, 2008 at 10:06 p.m.

• Sailor,

Everything isn't an invitation to bash the police. As far as I can see so far, everyone has offered reasoned and restrained observations on the topic. Many municipalities no longer offer this service. When officers are badly needed on the streets, it's a reasonable question to ask whether taxpayers should continue to foot the bill. I don't have a strong feeling one way or another, but this incident did bring the question to my mind. I'll have to ask more about how much the service costs and who pays for it.

My suggestion to you would be that you'd run into less opposition on these forums if you didn't immediately go into attack mode. I appreciate that you're active and interested in the community. I shake my head at your comment about the National Enquirer. You frequently complain when people post what you deem to be personal attacks, yet you're quick to do the same to others.

July 19, 2008 at 9:56 p.m.

• It is a pay system, it is not free. At least the last time I was involved. Don't know about the one for my aunt in Mississippi. It was neat there though. When the law enforcement stopped the intersection, the officer got out of the car, took their hat off and put it over their heart at least for the family cars.

July 19, 2008 at 9:35 p.m.

• Sailor - I would hope that most people give the proper respect and courtesy/right-of-way to funeral processions, escorted (as I said, I wasn't aware there were any other kind) or not. I know that I do, and the presence of the police officers always makes me pause to think about the duties they perform day in and day out. They are appreciated! (at least, by me). I know that my parents taught me to always pull over, turn down the radio, and give respect to a funeral procession. I remember them telling me that was the person's "last ride" and one should always be respectful. If a man our car was wearing a hat, it was taken off as a sign of respect. I just always assumed that people did things like that, but I am saddened to think that maybe people don't anymore. C'mon, guys, show a little respect to the deceased and their families, AND to the officers escorting them on their "last ride". It only takes a minute out of your busy day. Wouldn't you want them to do the same for you and your loved ones?
    Texas Huckleberry    :)        You're welcome!

July 19, 2008 at 8:47 p.m.

• Why Thank you   ** SugarMagnolia ** .....that  was sweet of you, ......HONEeeee.... (In sweet east Texas drawl voice)... hehhehee..

July 19, 2008 at 8:03 p.m.

• Chris - Texas Huckleberry (why is it that name just makes me smile?) is right. As long as I can remember, police escorts have been available for funerals in Houston, and I do believe they do this as a public service/free courtesy. I thought it was that way everywhere....you mean it's not??

July 19, 2008 at 7:11 p.m.

• I'm pretty sure this is a free service and no, they do not have the capabilities to change the lights status.

July 19, 2008 at 6:33 p.m.

• I was just in Houston...and They do provide this service  and i think it comes with the funeral procession service .. you must have it ..I think..I am almost sure of it....I dont know if you all heard or read about the officer on a motorcycle not too long ago in Houston, Texas  he was escorting a funeral and he had the freeway blocked off and one nut case .. I gather was on the cell or just wasn't paying attention didn't see him parked on the freeway waving his hands and flashing his lights .. as the vehicles were exiting the ramp.. .. rammed him and threw him almost over the guard rail..and killed him...yeah that is a dangerous situation trying to do a good deed.. and you know the deceased wasnt even in a hearse he was in the back of a chevy 4X4  in the bed of the truck.. go figure.. They need to be careful and so do we...

July 19, 2008 at 2:29 p.m.