Comments

• I've seen where some posts needed to be deleted because of profanity and extreme personal attacks.
    I've been to many other forums, and this one is by far one of the most decent- even when things get heated. And in my opinion, it's because the administrators put time in to make sure that profanity and extreme personal attacks are deleted. I realize it's not easy to keep this site as civil as it is, so thanks VA.
    I don't know what the particular event was that brought up  this topic, but as Mr. Cobler said, everyone is not going to be pleased by the policy here.
    Some people have can differ as to what is a personal attack or not. In the end, it's up to the VA, as they run the site.

July 21, 2008 at 8:41 a.m.

• LBB: Your comments are appreciated. I'll try to do better. If you'll remember  the diaper pic was in an item "guess what this is" and no guess was needed.  I hope you never have too many of the challenges some others do. Some things are about LIFE....My aim is to give readers a few chuckles at my own expense.  If that's repulsive to the other readers I would appreciate their speaking up.

ROBERTTX:   Thanks for your comments as well.  As one who has a problem with UNVERIFIED "urban legends" or two year old, or older,  forwarded emails. my diligence in this area has slipped.;  If I didn't think some of the posts of forwarded emails didn't  express my feelings, or could possibly stir up readers' comments (many are posted only for that reason..to see who'll squawk about 'em).they wouldn't be there.

July 21, 2008 at 4:29 a.m.

• Is there ever a possiblity that a person could be critical of another person's comment without calling the poster a name or making veiled threats against him/her? If so, then we might have a debate. A debate is two opposing views on the same subject. It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting everyone to support only one side of the argument. However, name calling, threats, etc., etc., etc. have no place in a debate and only shows a level of ignorance and lack of education. Have you ever truly been to a debate? I mean a real debate? Not a political debate. Maybe we've watched too many of these and think that is the norm by which we should conduct a debate. I'm saying that if we all just practiced a little class there'd be no need for posts to be removed.

July 20, 2008 at 11:30 p.m.

• LBB, I think you may have missed my point entirely. I have an opinion. You have an opinion. A debate is sharing opposing views (kinda like looking at both sides of something). Nowhere is there room, in my very honest opinion, for name calling because you didn't like what a poster said. If it doesn't stay on topic, ignore it. To feed fuel to the fire is to bring yourself down to the same level. And that, my friend, is my opinion.

July 20, 2008 at 11:09 p.m.

• This is just my opinion, but I would like nothing better than to go to a forum and have an honest debate about an issue with intelligent people. However, there doesn't seem to be much chance of that in Victoria or Corpus Christi or Austin or Houston or San Antonio. If posters can't dazzle you with intelligence, then I guess the feeling is to blind you with bullshit so you don't see the lack of intelligence in the post. Seems that only a few people who post on the Advocate forums really, really have any interest in looking at both sides of an issue. Because of the anonymity the need to put others down seems to increase on a forum. To me, calling names and running other people down shows sooooo much immaturity and lack of self confidence. In other words, the person can't hold his/her own in an intelligent debate so resorts to other means to grab some attention. I just kinda think that if there were no rebuttal to an ignorant display of name calling and disparagement, those people would finally exit the forum venue and go somewhere else to boost their egos.
    Like I said, just my opinion.  Oh, yeah. You don't really have to blog in the Advocate. If you don't like the parameters, go post a blog on MySpace.

July 20, 2008 at 10:46 p.m.

• limiting bloggers to one blog per day would be nice

some people simply repost chain emails spreading misinformation

July 20, 2008 at 9:39 p.m.