Comments

• Sugar wrote: But a blogger shouldn't have to put up with threats, disrespect, profane or otherwise inappropriate posts to their blogs.

Of course not.  That certainly is not the same as commenting on a blog.  Why can't a bloggers views be challenged if they are putting it out for all to read?  What purpose does it serve?  None, if it can't be challenged. Then only the post the blogger agrees with will be left.  Again, very boring. We are back to--the mutual admiration society.  And re: the prior post, you  only agreed with some folks.  I wasn't really writing about you.
    When someone blogs that Barack Obama is a Muslim, shouldn't people be able to point out that is a lie?  (It has been done.)  Should the blogger delete the post because they would like others to believe that he is, because it is a negative? OR, should someone be able to blog that John McCain was a failure as a Naval Officer because he was shot down.  (I have heard that too).  Shouldn't someone be able to say that's a lot of hog wash?
    I was just wondering.
    See the Blog---

Fight the Smears!

June 15, 2008 at 5:56 p.m.

• Ragman - you misunderstand my (I cannot speak for any other bloggers, though) motivation here. I simply believe that a blogger should be able to control the content of THEIR blog. I have personally NEVER wanted (nor have I done so) to delete a response on my blog, nor block anyone from posting to my blog. I believe that most bloggers keep things civil, as do most posters to blogs. But a blogger shouldn't have to put up with threats, disrespect, profane or otherwise inappropriate posts to their blogs. Same principle as the "spam" or "bulk" category in a person's email account. I simply believe that a blogger should be given that ability to control THEIR blog via the VicAd.

June 15, 2008 at 5:13 p.m.

• Sounds like many people only want people to comment---if they agree.  Sounds awfully boring.  "You are  great!!"  "Your right, no your right, no!!,I said your are right."   "Are you sure you aren't left?"   "Did I tell you how great you are?"
    Are blogs for only one point of view?  Even when the blogger makes false statements?  Just wondering?   If a political statement is being made, should it be countered?  If someone is announcing a pot luck dinner at The Church of the Four Headed Goat; then there is really no need to comment.  (I think that is where satan attends)  BUT..... if there is a meeting of the Torries this weekend, and the blog also states--you know only Torries believe in character, because they are conservative and are ordained with family values.  I am gonna have to post a comment on that.  Even if some folks don't like it.  Because we all know that the Torries @#$%.  Can you say that?
    Go ahead, block my say.

June 15, 2008 at 4:23 p.m.

• Ditto, MMKO and Toni Anne concerning the ability to block certain posters from your personal blog. Hope this can be done, Chris!

June 15, 2008 at 1:23 p.m.

• Here I go...
    It is a free country - but the Victoria Advocate online has the authority to monitor the forums/blogs however they want. Freedom of speech comes into play when you leave and go find somewhere else to blog. If you don't like the moderation at the forums/blogs - deal with it - or go somewhere else.
    Also - I second MMKO. I would LOVE a feature that enables me to moderate my own blog as I wish, without having to watch it like a hawk every second of the day. My blog is my personal area to moderate as I choose (within reason and keeping with the basic VicAd policies and guidelines of blogs and comments). I think the feature that I would most use is a "block user" feature. I think that ALL of us would like that...

June 15, 2008 at 11:27 a.m.

• Speaking as someone who has entered into his own fair share of inane internet arguments, I refer to this quote:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded."

June 14, 2008 at 8:26 p.m.