Comments

• As someone who has (1) recently moved from Austin back to Victoria and (2) visited Boston in the past 2 years, I can understand where the candidate is coming from.

1.  Winter.  I visited Boston for 5 days in March 2007.  The temperature never got higher than 38 degrees.  Yikes!  Give me a south Texas winter, where I actually have a chance at wearing shorts on Thanksgiving, anyday!

2.  Friendliness: the rule in Boston seems to be DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT, much less friendly conversation.  When I got back to Austin and the lady behind me at Luby's started chatting me up about nothing in particular, it was all I could do to keep from hugging her.

3.  Raising a family.  I don't doubt that Boston has its positives for raising a family, but Victoria does offer a sense of community.  Raising a family was one of the major factors in my move as well.  I like that time moves a little slower here and the fact that you can be anywhere in 15 minutes.

4.  Cost: My friends in Boston were paying an arm and a leg for a 600 square foot apartment with a community laundry room in the basement.  Of course, the pay scale is much lower here but I can definitely appreciate the lower cost of living.

That being said, I absolutely loved Boston and would visit again in a heartbeat!  It was fascinating to visit a city that couldn't be more different from our hometown.  Another plus about Victoria is its location - 2 hours from Austin, SA, Corpus, or Houston.  You've got the beach, museums, pro sports, amusement parks, and big-city shopping all within an easy day trip.  RIP AstroWorld!

November 21, 2008 at 12:52 p.m.

• Actually dig, I went to the cost indicator website that compares cities cost of living, etc & Victorias violent crime rate is the same as San Antonios.

November 10, 2008 at 12:05 a.m.

• Redrag, you have some anger issues.  Actually we have been looking into moving to Menke Park, we like the pedestrian feel of the downtown area.  Actually, when the kids graduate from college, I hope to move into a condo on the Riverwalk.  This city is clean, well maintained & the people are nice, guess that's why you didn't like it.  I have lived here for 13yrs now & haven't experienced any problems, or been a victim of any major crime.  Car was stolen at hubbys work (hospital) but we got it back the next day.  As far as our salary goes, I would be willing to bet we pay more in taxes every year than you make.
    You need to get over yourself & realize that people like different areas for different reasons & just because YOU don't agree doesn't make them uneducated or stupid.  Different strokes for different folks as they say.  I sincerely hope that Dallas can continue to support you, as MBAs are a dime a dozen & your attitude doesn't help you out.  I hope you don't treat your superiors & collegues the way you talk to people here, you seriously need to grow up.  I'm done with you.

November 9, 2008 at 11:36 p.m.

• Ernie, say it ain't so!?! You're moving on???   Congratulations on the new job, transfer, or whatever it is that's taking you away, hope you enjoy your new home.  I do hope you continue to entertain & enlighten us here.  Best wishes to you & Julie!
    Redrag, yes Dallas has 2 decent , very expensive neighborhoods inside Dallas proper.  If you want to live safely & within ones means you have to move outside of Dallas.  At least in SA you don't have to flee the city to live in a decent neighborhood & be safe to walk the streets at night.  Dallas has no redeeming qualities, its hot in the summer, cold in the winter & is flat & ugly.  I'll take SA & Victoria over it any day.  BTW, loved the comment you deleted from my profile, though it may not exist there any longer, it did get sent to my e-mail.  You are a charming guy (sarcasm) and I am glad you are no longer living in either city I call home.

November 9, 2008 at 10 p.m.

• I've had my head examined. Many times. But none of them could hear the voices.  They only talk to me. :-) I would, however, take VBB anywhere she'd like t' go. I think we'd get along well.
    Sad though that Julie and I only have a few more weeks to call Victoria "home."  It seems my services have been requested elsewhere and since with the economics being what they are and what they may well become, I'm going to have to continue to ensure my paycheck keeps getting deposited. [sigh]
    Ernie

November 9, 2008 at 9 p.m.

• Victoria's a nice place. Julie and I have come to see it as a "Cinderella" town; not to big, not too small. It's just right. Nothing's ever perfect though and it does have it's drawbacks but IMO, anyone who'd prefer Dallas over this really needs to consider serious psychological evaluation. I've been to and through Dallas/Ft. Worth many times and can't say that I've left anything there that'd be worth going back to look for. Like NYC, an OK place to visit but certainly not a place I'd prefer to live and raise a family.
    I've only been to NYC on flights through but I've spent a good amount of time in Boston, D.C. and some other spots on the east coast. There's some great history in Boston and, of course, D.C. Lots of sights to see and places to explore. But just like in TX, get out of the cities and you'll find both the real country and the real people. Many of the states have geography that'll put most of TX's to shame but I'll put it's people up against anyone in the world for "neighborliness." OK's the only state I've been in - and I've been in most of 'em - where the people are anywhere near as helpful, considerate and...well, just plain friendly as a rule. There are exceptions....
    Everyone has their own priorities and preferences but, Rage, I think it's pretty safe there's a majority of Victorians who're more than happy to let you take your chances getting stabbed in Dallas than to live in Victoria. See? Everyone's happy.... :-)
    Ernie

November 9, 2008 at 8:21 p.m.

• Redrage, you are constantly bragging about Dallas &  how it is better than Victoria or anyplace else (except San Antonio & now you are changing your tune on that one).  I am a small town girl & have now started appreciating my life in San Antonio.  I like how you assume everyone is beneath you (me living in Converse, legion never leaving Victoria,etc).  San Antonio is a nice city & it has a small town feel about it, since it is so spread out.  Victoria has a lot that I miss & some that I don't.  I would move to Victoria in a second to get away from Boston, but thats me, we are all different & look for different things for our families & lives.  I would move back to Victoria before I would ever move to Houston or Dallas, Dallas ain't even in Texas as far as I'm concerned, it's in Oklahoma.

November 9, 2008 at 6:10 p.m.

• Redrage, no I don't live in Converse, I live in far north San Antonio.  My daughter had friends that went to Judson & her highschool played Judson, so I am familiar with the school & their sports program.  Yes San Antonio has crime, everyone has crime.  But I  don't brag about where I live & pretend it is some form of utopia, every city has it's problems.  I like San Antonio, but I don't have to constantly shove it's attributes down everyones throats.
    Victoria is a nice community that I would move back to if the opprotunities were to be had there.  It does have it's own issues, but it is my hometown & I have a soft spot for it & really wish you would lay off.

November 9, 2008 at 5:02 p.m.

• RedRage,
     lol, just read about it in newspapers, that made me lol,.
     You just go on with your bad self.
     Just because you moved you think everyone has stayed in good ol Victoria there whole life?
    LMAO,
    Good one.

November 9, 2008 at 4:58 p.m.

• Thank you Legion!  : )

November 9, 2008 at 12:29 a.m.

• And BTW Dallas is great huh?
    Dallas residents say crime is the city's No. 1 problem. And what has City Hall done in recent years? Reduced the number of officers per resident, ignored the city's worst-in-the-nation crime rate and gave the police chief a glowing review one year, then fired him the next.
     Enjoy RedRage00

November 8, 2008 at 6:53 p.m.

• Good for you RedRage00, ,
     Central Texas is not much to brag about, but I'm glad your happy there, yes central TX is south of you, but I lived there and if you think the people in Victoria are backwards?, Geez I lived in that area, and those have to be the most ( as Podunk would put it), hillbilly people I have ever seen anywhere.
      Even the people in Baton Rouge were not as bad as the ones in that part of the state of Texas.

November 8, 2008 at 6:42 p.m.

• I did the reverse...went from Victoria to Derry, NH (which is north of Boston).  I missed the four seasons and the cooler summers.  I can also go back to Ohio a bit more easier since its only a 11-13 hour drive.  Of course my sister lives in the Victoria area and she really enjoys it.
         I also like the drive up to the White Mountains, as well as going up to Portland, Maine mostly for baseball and hockey games.  I really don't go into Boston much...since I can do most anything that I would go to Boston for anywhere else.  Also, Boston is really too expensive when I can go to Manchester or Portland or the Pawtucket/Providence area for less.
         It took a while, but I have found some newspapers that I can read (not the Boston Globe) that I enjoy like the Foster Daily Democrat & the Laconia Citizen, the Lewiston Sun-Journal, the Keene Sentinal, and the weekly Weirs Times.

November 8, 2008 at 5:31 p.m.

• Waffle house.....yummm, lol
    I do like them tho.

November 8, 2008 at 4:40 p.m.

• Lack of self esteem? Hardly. A city lacking self esteem would resemble little hope or self motivation for self improvement or pride. Victoria has the prestigious Wells Fargo Bank building overseeing a downtown area with a pleasant  mingling of the historic and modern. Granted Victoria doesn't boast the New York Philharmonic or Boston Symphony, yet it has cultural offerings quite nice for a city of its size. Let's not forget the many people donating their time and talents to making Victoria an even better place to live. Friends of the Library, social organizations, volunteer emergency personnel, and the extensive list of others.
    Don't make your usual right onto Rio Grande from downtown. Cross over to the adjacent neighborhoods. The homes are anywhere from the breathtakingly magnificent to the pleasant cottages Most are well maintained, evidencing a lot of pride and self esteem. Driving North, and once past the plentiful car dealerships on Navarro, many and diverse retailers line the city's main drag. WalMart Superstore catering to those of us being made poorer daily by economic downturns, borders to City's north. Cross the road  to the East side and the bustle of new construction evidences a city growing steadily. An abundance of self esteem on display.
    Did Friday, your job applicant from Boston, first consider the opening because it offers more money, prestige, experience, upward mobility? Does he really know anything about Victoria, or assume that a city of this size would offer an environment more pleasing in many respects than Boston's? I have visited and lived in small towns which would make Boston a much more desireable place to live.
    Actually, Friday's answers are not all that surprising to anyone who has lived in larger cities. Boston is a wonderful place both historically, culturally, and architecturally. It is, as are most large metropolitan areas, great places to visit, but I no longer wish to live there.
    I am a transplant to Victoria, who ten years ago was more than ready for the slower pace of a smaller community. Crime rate, cost of living, school rankings, churches, cultural offerings were my priorities. Others may have different criteria, such as  night life, shopping outlets (designer retailers), etc, I have no children, yet believe a good educational system says a lot about a community Some might argue the point, but the existence of a diversity of churches indicates a strong community value system.
    When compared to other areas, the Victoria crime rate is incredibly small. I'm talking major crimes, not petty theft, DWI's, or a couple of prostitution arrests. South Texas summers can be harsh, particularly if one has asthma/allergies. All in all the seasonal temps are quite nice. Anyone who has shoveled, and rocked, their car out of ice and snow and slid their way to work, minus any true tire to pavement contact, can appreciate South Texas weather.
    Salaries are fairly pitiful here. The value for the money cost of living though is far superior to big cities CoL. I was looking for a more tranquil environment, so money was not my main motivator. Others might find the money a priority criteria.
    I reviewed, of course, the city web site, Chamber of Commerce information, and the local newspaper. Wasn't aware there were three Chambers of Commerce until relocating here. Victoria has a Sears, Radio Shack, 24-hour WalMart, Walgreens, K-Mart (at that time) and, least we forget, multiple dollar stores, as selling points. Of the top ten places I ranked as good relocation possibilities  Victoria was fourth. After visiting the others, Victoria soared to first. Additionally, less than two hours away, Houston, San Antonio, Corpus, offfer most any amenity not available in Victoria.
    The hospitality factor added to its many other attributes, makes Victoria a very attractive, people friendly, city in which to live and work.
    I would make only one wish for Victoria. Can someone persuade Waffle House, Captain D's, and Brahm's Ice Cream to locate stores here and make this an even better community?

November 8, 2008 at 3:26 p.m.

• I hope Friday accepts the position.
    Texas, in general, is preferrable to any other state in the union, as we have pretty much everything in one place.  We have mountains, prairies, beaches, deserts & another country attached to us.  We have a plethora of cultures in our state and we are still harmonious, our people in Texas are proud to be from Texas.  Our weather is second only to Florida.  If you want cold, you can drive a few hours & find cold.  If you prefer warm, you can drive a few hours & find warm.  Texas is the absolute best!

November 8, 2008 at 2:16 p.m.

• I can understand the long cold winters but we counter with long hot summers.
    I intend to visit Boston some day after all it is the cradle of our democracy..A lot to see ..Got to see Fenway before they replace it.
    A native Victorian but I love to visit the Large cities..I like the hustle & the bustle.

November 8, 2008 at 11:47 a.m.

• I have been to New York several times and was surprised how friendly the people were there. Even on the street. That was certainly a big surprise. I've never been to Boston though-yet.

November 8, 2008 at 10:19 a.m.

• Why wouldn't you?  You get a lot more bang for your buck in Victoria.  I travel to L.A. several times a year, have a daughter that lives in San Diego....Also have some relatives that live in New York City and a friend in Mass.  The coast of living is similar in all those places; L.A. probably a little ahead of the game.

A friend in L.A. lives in a small two bedroom, one bath frame house with detached garage, small lot.  It has been kept updated with new kitchen, etc., but the location is not spectacular, older neighborhood no where near the beach.  Here in Victoria you could pick up a simiiar house for $60,000 easy.  My friend's neighbor with almost identical home just sold for $900,000.  Anything there less than a million is a real piece of crap.

Last time I was in N.Y.C......went to the grocery store with my aunt and a carton of large eggs was $4.00.....again houses that would go for $100,000 here sell for $600,000 or even more there.  Property taxes 4 or 5 times higher and crime rates are out the ceiling.  Besides people, especially on the East Coast look at you like you are an idiot if you say hello to a person walking on the street, or are nice to a waiter or the maid that cleans your room in the hotel.  I even had a cabby in NYC ask if I was from Texas.....said Texans were one of the few tourists that were friendly in a cab....he went on to give me multiple warnings about the dangers of N.Y.

I think the guy from Boston is smart....bet he didn't vote for Edward Kennedy the last thousand years that he has been in office.  That really gives everyone from Mass a gullible idiot status.

November 8, 2008 at 10:03 a.m.

• To put it another way: Why wouldn't you? (Want to move here from "UP THERE") Indeed, I miss my hometown of Houston, but I'll tell you one thing. I could never go out to the mailbox in Houston in my pajamas. I don't have to worry about my cats and dogs being outside sometimes. I can open my doors and windows and enjoy the fresh air and quiet and.....nothing else. No sirens, no gunshots, no yelling from the neighbors. Admittedly, I live in the country, and some things that are present in a big city (Houston) are also there in a small city (Victoria). But there is in my opinion greater peace of mind and LESS PEOPLE period, which I have come to get used to and even love. Maybe that has something to do with being older now and appreciating a slightly decreased pace. I think it has much to do with the type of people and the way they live down here. Unhurried, good old country folk that seem to have the right idea about what is important in life. Those are my thoughts. Now if I could just become fluent at pronouncing these Czech and German names......  :)

November 8, 2008 at 7:08 a.m.