Comments

• As far as killing trees goes, every day to the left and slightly below the bar code you will see a tiny note that says "Printed on recycled paper."

I don't know exactly how recycling processes work, but I hope no more trees were harmed in the making of this newspaper.

October 16, 2008 at 7:52 p.m.

• Right you are, Leslie. All of these uses make the paper well worth 37 cents. I would add that I use the paper as protection when I'm polishing my shoes or when my kids are working on an art project.

Of course, we always recycle our papers to address your concerns, Cleric. I hear what you're saying about value being set by customer perception. Coke has been brilliant about setting value way beyond the product's cost of production. With each can, you're basically paying for more marketing, not the actual sugar water.

And,  yes, I was thinking about buying Coke at retail locations rather than by the case.

October 16, 2008 at 12:21 p.m.

• I've always thought hard copies of newspaper have a lot of extra value. Examples of secondary uses for newspapers: Lining pet cages; cleaning mirrors to a streak-free shine, paper mache;  folding into paper hats, other origami; protecting tables, floors, etc, when undertaking messy projects like painting, screen printing, applying glitter or glue or eating crabs; pasting together ransom notes or less nefarious collages; making benches; wrapping stuff; picking up gross stuff. And then there's the graffiti artist who uses old newspapers as a canvas (for the life of me I can't remember where I read about this and can't find the story. Editor and Publisher, maybe?).
    You just can't do that with a computer monitor.

October 16, 2008 at 11:46 a.m.

• A coke costs $1?  Man, where are you buying YOUR drinks at?  HEB most times has name brand 12pks of soda 3 for $10 which would make drinks about .28 cents each.  It would be cheaper if you were talking about generics.  Of course you could be talking about the .99 cent 44oz fountain drinks at Stripes.  hmmm......

I do not drink coffee in any form so I will not touch that one. However, if there are readers that are in an area that has a Barnes & Noble, they can click here to print a coupon for a free coffee from their cafe (and a 15% off coupon as well).

Newspapers do kill trees, can cause paper cuts, and can leave ink on your fingers.  They also do not make very good ice cream floats.  They are pretty much ruined when they get wet, compared to a can or coke which has no effect on their taste when they "sweat".

They do make good packing material for glass though.  And speaking of glass, they do a good job at cleaning windows.

haha  Just giving you a hard time.  But really, I was taught long ago when I was in sales that value is anything the customer perceives it to be.

October 16, 2008 at 11:21 a.m.

• Victorian,

You noted accurately one cost we have no control over -- the price of mail. I share your frustrations about the cost and speed of newspaper mail delivery. I hope we'll launch soon an e-edition of the newspaper to get around this problem. I'm glad you enjoy the online version of our Web site, but it is different from the print edition. An e-edition is a solution for those who want to see the physical layout of the paper and get faster and less expensive delivery.

On your other question, I have no idea how Scott might have your name. I looked at the post you mentioned and don't see your name. Perhaps he removed it from his post? We don't even have your name to share with anyone else. I'm guessing he might have talked to others who know you. I'll e-mail you directly to try to discuss more. Or feel free to call me at 574-1271.

October 16, 2008 at 8:26 a.m.

• Think you needa catchy jingle & a picture a day of a celebrity reading a newspaper & people will come.  People are easy, you just gotta lead 'em a little. If you don't believe me, think about the pocket dog craze &  then everyone started having babies or adopting foreign babies.  Can't leave out the Kabala craze.  Just don't be obvious about it.
    I asked my parents one year  for Christmas, for a subscription to the paper & wow was it expensive for mail delivery.  I was disappointed but I am happy I can now read it on-line.

October 15, 2008 at 11:15 p.m.