Comments

• I've been to so many shows, but one of my favorites was a music fest called Tattoo the Earth. It was great and featured awesome bands like Slipknot and Slayer.

I once took my mom to a Juan Gabriel concert, that was pretty fun too. That man can really move!

September 1, 2009 at 11:29 a.m.

• Milagro,

I agree with you about what a wonderful musical weekend it was here in Victoria. I also will put in a plug for the smaller shows. I'll blog later about Coastal Bend, which made its debut Sunday night in downtown Victoria. You can't beat music in an intimate setting.

Some amazing artists I saw in smaller venues include Steve Forbert, Lyle Lovett, Warren Zevon and Sarah McLaughlin.

August 31, 2009 at 8:52 a.m.

• Victoria was fortunate to have so much musical talent in our city this weekend. i went to Los Lonely Boys and thought it was great and i even went to hear Johnny Rodriquez and Johnny Bush sing on Friday night at Mid Coast's fund raiser. It was fun too. I hope they raised a lot of money. I think they did because Omar Rasheed gave them $10,000 for an art piece! He is such a generous man and I know he will continue to give much more back to the community.

August 31, 2009 at 7:24 a.m.

• Paul McCartney would have to be one of my top concerts too. I saw him a few years ago on his last tour in San Jose. He was incredible. All those Beatle songs. I got to see Queen twice. The first time in the 70's in Houston. Must have been 1975. ?? Then I saw them a few years later in Dallas. I thought they were a lot better the second time I saw them.

August 30, 2009 at 9:58 p.m.

• Chris - I, too, will always wish I had seen Led Zeppelin. At least seeing Page and Plant together was a blessing; it gave me a slight hint about what the whole band must have been like in concert. I also regret I never saw Queen while Freddie Mercury was alive; I always thought there would be time. But his time ran out. I had the pleasure of seeing Brian May solo in a small venue in Houston, and he was thoroughly enjoyable and a real gentleman; they don't make many like him.

My advice, especially to joseexist: get out there and see anyone who strikes your fancy. Some of the greatest artists of our time are leaving us too soon. Live with no regrets. Life is made to enjoy! Go see these bands before they are no more. Like I said, I always thought there would be time. Mother and I had starting attending concerts together, as she didn't do so while raising me, so she started enjoying these things after I grew up; started doing the things she was too busy to do years earlier. Unfortunately, we lost her much too soon; there were so many things left for her to do, and so many concerts left unseen. Our days on this earth are not infinite. Do what makes you happy NOW.

August 30, 2009 at 8:03 p.m.

• I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to see Led Zepplin. I was a little too young for concerts in 1968. I still think the second half of that decade produced some of the best rock music of all time.

August 30, 2009 at 6:36 p.m.

• I saw Jethro Tull and John Cougar (he was just becoming Mellancamp) open for The Who in about 1981 in Boulder. That was quite a show, although I soured on the stadium experience after that. I'm not sure music is meant to be played in a stadium. Paul McCartney did put on an amazing stadium show; his would have to be among my best-ever concerts, too.

August 30, 2009 at 6:32 p.m.

• My first time big name concert? Easy 1968 at Hemisphere arena in San Antonio, a warm up band, then Jethro Tull, then Led Zepplin.

August 30, 2009 at 5:56 p.m.

• I saw Page/Plant on that tour in Albuquerque and it was excellent. I have seen so many concerts I don't know which one I would say was the best though.Maybe the Rolling Stones or The Who,maybe Rush.??? I saw Green Day recently in San Jose,Ca. they were incredible and had the crowd at the HP pavillion(Shark Tank) standing the whole three hours!It was certainly one of the top ten best concerts I've been to.

August 30, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.

• Missed the show. Bummer!
    The only concert I have ever been to was Ozzy-(Ultimate Sin), with Metallica-(Master Of Puppets). It was one of Cliff Burtons last shows in the states. After Ozzys' set we were all screaming for more METALLICA!!!!

August 30, 2009 at 11 a.m.

• Thanks for sharing, Sugar. Those sound like amazing concerts.

I did have a good time at the concert, although I have never gotten used to the idea that so many old people like me still attend rock concerts. I guess was indoctrinated by listening to "My Generation" by The Who.

August 30, 2009 at 8:05 a.m.

• Wow, how to narrow down so many great concerts....but if I have to, I would say the "No Quarter" tour by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, I think it was around '94, was outstanding. They did a incredible performance of "Since I've Been Loving You" that I think is still THE BEST song I've heard in concert to this date. "Kashmir" was excellent, too, with real Indian musicians on stage with a hurdy-gurdy. This was at the Summit in Houston. I will always remember that concert.

But of course, it would be closely tied with Pink Floyd that same year at the Rice Stadium in Houston and the Texas Stadium in Dallas (or is it Arlington?). To hear "Comfortably Numb" live is a surreal experience that I just can't describe.

I thoroughly enjoyed Black Sabbath at the Alamodome in San Antonio several years back. I have seen Ozzy live many times, but there is true magic when he is back with Geezer, Tony, and Bill......WOW!

Have a good time at the concert, Chris.

August 29, 2009 at 10:34 p.m.