Comments

• I fondly remember the days when the front page was for real news.  Fluff pieces -- cute toddlers on skate boards, favorite cafes, etc. -- were inside.

February 17, 2009 at 9:43 a.m.

• Thank you for your answer, Chris. I trust you will be filling us in through your blog, or articles in the VicAd concerning some of those results, as you have started to with the TV guide conversation. Sorry, but I'm a real detail and statistics freak. It wasn't an attack, I promise you.

February 16, 2009 at 9:24 p.m.

• Chris - I well remember that "background" that you referred me to, but it still doesn't answer my question- when, where, how, was this "scientific survey" conducted? These are questions every journalist should answer, right? What were other findings that were not covered in that old blog? I may be the only one who cares about the specifics anyway, and I don't aim to make a pest of myself, but is there a way I can obtain the specific answers here?

February 16, 2009 at 7:52 p.m.

• I remember well the number of young friends of mind that had paper routes (for the VA) and made money and learned how to be responsible individuals at such an early age.  The VA had well respected men of the community who wrote columns for years, i.e. Vince Reedy, Johnny Lyons, Pat Witte.  The small Town Talk column was short and was popular.  The good coverage of local sports, our schools, little league baseball (with a lot less teams/age groups).  No articles on some of today's lifestyles that back thirty years or so ago would have Aprill on the street looking for a new profession.  And the belief that if you read it in the VA, you can believe it.

February 16, 2009 at 8:41 a.m.

• My earliest memories of a hometown paper, is sitting on the floor in front of the kerosene stove of my grandfather's house reading the comics.  My grandfather was reading the paper out loud, which was the way he read everything. He listened to the news on the radio early each morning getting the farm report and every evening getting the national news.   The newspaper was his enjoyment, he would read almost the entire newspaper.  On Sundays, he would met with other local farmers in the kitchen to discuss the news and farming.
    The newspaper motived my desire to read and learn.  I wanted to know more about what I read. I wanted to understand political cartoons and more.  I even found old newspapers interesting, looking at old ads of products of years gone by.  Newspapers are often the primary  or only source of local recorded history.

February 15, 2009 at 11:54 p.m.

• Chris - what is this "recent readership survey" of which you speak? This is the second time I have seen you make reference to it, but I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Can you enlighten me?

February 15, 2009 at 10:29 p.m.