Comments

• I don't think most folks realize how far removed from the metro areas we are, and how zero local news and information would available if the local paper  were to close and amend the current print schedule. TV people here are inexperienced and seem to use the paper to lead them to news stories, and radio is non existant.
    Corpus has no claim on Victoria, San Antonio only catchs us on the fringe, and Houston ignores us all together. For town of 60,000, a county of fewer than a 100,000 and an area of fewer than 200,000, it is a wonder we have any local coverage at all. Keep the VicAd local.

February 19, 2009 at 12:35 a.m.

• Bighorn,

I appreciate the sentiment. Your brother gives you some extra insight into the newspaper world.

For the record, I don't agree with everything we publish either. If the paper were published to suit my individual tastes, it would be vastly different.

And, like you, I'd hate to see the world without newspaper coverage. I don't think most people fully grasp what that wold mean.

February 18, 2009 at 7:48 p.m.

• Chris,
    The wife and I had this discussion a few months ago. While I don't enjoy some of the local headlines/angles of the stories (and yes, I understand the difference between news and editorials), we will continue to subscribe to enable to retain a DAILY paper in Victoria. I hope your advertisers continue to do the same.
    My brother owns two small town newspapers, and is part of a syndicate that owns several more. In each of those locales, the papers have been forced into bi-weekly and weekly editions due to ad revenue. It is my sincere hope that the VicAd isn't forced into similiar circumstances in the future.
    I will continue to support our local paper and the presentation of local news.

February 18, 2009 at 7:34 p.m.

• VISD Mom,

Thanks for the feedback. What could we add to the print edition that would make a subscription worthwhile to you? This Sunday's editions contains $338.05 in coupons. I hope the news alone is worth the price you pay for the paper, but the advertising adds even more value. No pop-ups yet with the print edition. :)

February 18, 2009 at 2:24 p.m.

• VISDMom - We are currently working on a redesign of our Web site and I've been blogging about it. You can read more about it here:

I also have a screen grab of the new design, I will be posting that to a new blog post this afternoon. If you have any questions about the new design, feel free to ask. Thanks - CJ

February 18, 2009 at 1:25 p.m.

• Mr. Cobler,  while I am not a subscriber to the Advocate, it generally covers what needs to be covered, and in a town this size there is not often earth-shattering events to be put on the front page.  What I absolutely cannot STAND is the on-line edition of the Advocate, especially the home page.  It is much too busy and the popups and banners drive me crazy.  A change in that would be greatly appreciated.

February 18, 2009 at 1:15 p.m.