Comments

• Aha!   I understands it now, somewhat. Thank you for the article.

January 6, 2009 at 10:25 a.m.

• Sure, Mary Ann, glad to explain my journalistic shorthand. We tend to get caught up in our insider-baseball talk.

In journalism circles, this refers to the so-called wall between advertising and news. We give value to our advertisers by presenting them in a credible and trusted newspaper. To do that, we can't be influenced by the advertisers themselves. That's why we create this invisible wall, and that's what we'll be discussing during our ethics board meeting today.

This column by the New York Times ombudsman explains this issue in more depth. Thank you for your question.

VBB, we're shooting for pleasing most of the people most of the time. I hear you about not being able to please all of the people all of the time.

January 6, 2009 at 9:55 a.m.

• Hello Chris,
    I don't understand what you mean about the separation between church and state and how it would apply to free journalism. Perhaps I'm coming at this from a different angle and I'm not aware of what the end-of-the-year wrap by the auto dealer had, but the Victoria Advocate isn't a state-run newspaper or entity funded by taxpayers.
    I always believed that separation of church and state originally meant that our founders wanted to prevent the state government from starting a state church, like they escaped in England and Holland. Free churches were important to the settlers of America.  We certainly see a reverse and change of that meaning lately.
    Can you 'splain it to me before I jump to more conclusions? Thanks.

January 6, 2009 at 9:17 a.m.

• For what you have to work with, y'all do a pretty good job. You can't please everyone all of the time, but you can please some people some of the time.

January 5, 2009 at 11:04 p.m.

• VBB,

That's so true. We give it our best shot nonetheless.

January 5, 2009 at 10:01 p.m.

• "Avoid conflicts of interest, real or percieved".......that's gonna be a toughy as perception is in the eye of the beholder.  There are thousands of "eyes" in the community & you can't please them all.

January 5, 2009 at 9:39 p.m.