Comments

• DDm- Thanks for correcting my mistake- it's been awhile since 2003!  With no intent of leaving the bulldogs and gobblers out of this game...Memorial does have the largest amount of players who played for "Thunder" and will be returning Varsity starters this next year. I think we'll all agree we did EXCELLENT in the tournment, proved ourselves as a team, and have some great athletes who participated!!!
    Thanks for the updated information:)

January 16, 2009 at 4:41 p.m.

• The Thunder team you are speaking of was from 2003 but it was not composed of only Victoria players.  There were players from the other Crossroads Youth Football League towns as well - Cuero and Yoakum.  It was an all-star tournament, not playoffs as you mentioned.  The team played four games in a two day period and won two and lost two.  I believe we placed fourth or fifth in the tournament.  My son played and I was one of the assistant coaches on the team.  Jared Dolezal was the quarterback and O.J. Hughes was the running back.  The play I remember best is when we were on our own five yard line and they had OJ in the backfield but he reversed field and took it ninety-five yards to the house.  It was a good team and competed well but it was not all Victoria.

January 15, 2009 at 6:38 a.m.

• The Thunder team you are talking about was from 2003.  My son was also on that team.

January 14, 2009 at 3:38 p.m.

• I do have lots of "Thunder" photos, however, the players are on the field in play.  (One of those stupid football shots you take, thinking it's a great picture, get them developed only to find- you can't tell who's who!)

David Hartman may have one- he'd be the one to ask. He was our head coach and would have all the details.    I do have a list of all the C.Y.F.L. players who made that "All-Star" team- If your interest...  I can also tell you Jarad D-Zol was our quarterback and we had the "fastest" running back there, his name was, O.J. HUGHES and he was unstoppable!!!!

I'll stop by the paper one day and give you a better photo to use, talk about a look at the past, do I have a picture you'll love.  It's not of THUNDER but it is of the Vipers.  Taken in ElCampo,-their first game of their Freshman season-and you can see all of them walking onto the field.  Talk about a great story- it's a good reflection of what's to come- Wish I'd of had a digital camera back then- I'd upload it now and show you.

January 13, 2009 at 12:30 p.m.

• My prediction...lol...Everyone knows what my prediction is:  The PLAY-offs again in 2009.

I've got a feeling we'll have a great season with more points on the board.  We've got four returning offensive linemen and two strong quarterbacks supporting us so anythings possible.  SPEED, skill, and team-commitment will be a plus for us.  This team has played football together for nine years so their know stranger to the game.   As a matter of fact: they went to the play-offs in little league football back in 2002 at Humble, Texas.   Also known as "Thunder," they placed second over all amongst 15 area Houston schools.

If your past is a look into your future, next years Vipers, have a lot of "WINS in store!"

Call it coincidence- Call it fate - Call it what you want... "THE VIPERS WILL FINISH STRONG next season leaving behind, their mark,  inside Memorial Stadium!"

January 13, 2009 at 1:20 a.m.

• no nascar!  - but wait for diversity purposes put it in the back page w/ hockey.

January 12, 2009 at 11:04 a.m.

• My husband and I would like to see more NASCAR coverage.  It's becoming a very popular sport and I know that there are many fans in the Crossroads area.

January 12, 2009 at 10:47 a.m.

• Pat- The Vipers have a season of great football to look forward to in 2009, as it will be there last, and we look forward to sharing this experience with you."

Other than this, I can't think of one thing the Sports section of the paper should change:  AWESOME job Last year!

January 12, 2009 at 12:14 a.m.

• it works now -- thanks

January 11, 2009 at 8:11 p.m.

if we try to check the scoreboard. we can check games from 2002-2008 -- but nothing for 2009.
    That would be a nice feature to have (working correctly)

January 11, 2009 at 6:34 p.m.