Comments

• Walter Cronkite and World Government:

July 20, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 19, 2009 at 3:33 p.m.

• Chris,
    that's understandable. Have a good weekend.

July 18, 2009 at 10:46 p.m.

• Chris-

I do hope that the newspaper industry as we know it survives during this digital age. Family-owned dailies are a rarity, and the hands-on approach by the late Morris Roberts set the tone for the success of the Advocate and will be instrumental to its survival into the future.

His commitment to both the quality of the final product and his dedication to employees was beyond reproach.

July 18, 2009 at 10:31 p.m.

• Bobby,

Thanks for elaborating. You raise many excellent points.

I would add only that the Advocate's family ownership stands out among the crowd of corporate journalism. They've long been committed to serving their community and staffing their newsroom at a level beyond what most newspaper companies beholden to Wall Street will do.

That's a big part of why the Advocate's readership is 90 percent in Victoria County and 70 percent in our nine-county region. In this digital age, I hope readers and advertisers continue to support the expensive proposition of gathering the news.

I appreciate everyone's comments today. I won't be able to respond for a while because I leave early tomorrow for a conference related to this topic. It's about news leadership in the digital age. For more on this session, click here:

July 18, 2009 at 9:45 p.m.

• Chris Cobler wrote: "We have so many more choices now, but we're unhappier about them. When people speak derisively of the mainstream media, I'm never quite sure how they define it differently from yesteryear."

Chris-
    What I feel many speak of is that today, anyone with a cell phone and laptop becomes an instant reporter. I am not speaking of any one particular television broadcasting company, newspaper or radio station, but I am certain you are familiar with the trend to which I am referring.

Also, thanks to the technology we all choose to call progress, many have joined the fray and become instant internet news outlets with no qualifications whatsoever. Because of such, too many facts are skewed, too much information is misinterpreted -- and too many episodes of orchestrated mayhem give the entire industry a black eye.

Thus, separating the wheat from the chaff becomes an issue for the everyday citizen who gets bombarded with tons of e-mails and blogs -- and knows not whom to trust or believe anymore.

Other than a few holdovers (the Advocate should be thankful for the likes of David Tewes) from the days of real journalism, when pen and recorder -- not thumbdrives and satellite feeds -- remained primary tools of the trade, we're getting "news" from any warm body that has access to a cell phone, a laptop and spell-check, which apparently some don't even know how to use.

Much of the blame must be attributed to the digital age and a society which yearns for instant gratification. As such, many established newspapers are folding. Of those that are still hanging on –- and again, I speak in generalities and not about any paper in particular -- many have been forced into employing skeleton crews to avoid bankruptcy. With money and day-to-day existence a prime factor, the deployment of untrained personnel into areas they are not capable of handling -- or at least not handling well -- becomes a necessary evil. Hence, mistakes are made, and the bottom-line is that the overall credibility ultimately suffers.

Lastly, I must mention Wikipedia, one of the worst plagues this generation has seen. The material within is often unchecked and filled with comedies of errors. And because of the age we live in, some kids -- including college students -- try and use such material as references. Those in the education industry consider Wikipedia a joke at best. Yet scores of people flock to it daily, much like they do to blogs and twitters and other outlets of unsubstantiated blather.

July 18, 2009 at 8:13 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 18, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 18, 2009 at 6:21 p.m.

• N4796V,

For better or worse, we see our Web and printed newspaper as different products. We will have our e-edition ready soon for subscribers -- that's where you can get an exact replica of our printed paper.

We also should have online a 24/7 feed of wire news -- much more than can fit into the printed newspapers. Unfortunately, that feed is broken this weekend, and we probably won't get it running again until Monday.

Of course, we know people online have many choices for wire news. We're not sure how many people use our wire feed at VictoriaAdvocate.com.

July 18, 2009 at 3:18 p.m.

• Chris,
    Ok. Then why not have it on the web when some of us do not get the printed paper? I understand that not EVERYTHING in print can be put on the web, but, I feel that was more important as a lead story than Wally Gator. Just my two cents(with change).

July 18, 2009 at 3:14 p.m.

• Rollinstone,

Thanks for adding an excellent point about how Cronkite injected his opinion into the Vietnam War. What would bloggers say about any newscaster who did that today?

I wonder whether Cronkite would have a blog and be on Twitter and report endlessly about Michael Jackson if he were on CBS today. We all are products of our time, to some extent.

July 18, 2009 at 3:04 p.m.

• The thing I remember most about Cronkite is how he condemned our military operations in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive. He basically said we were defeated when in fact we had inflicted a major defeat on the Viet Cong and NVA.

He destroyed what was left of public support for the war. This was the primary aim of the Tet Offensive - it was the beginning of the end for us in that war.

He greatly encouraged the enemy and helped them out of a nearly hopeless situation while destroying our resolve to continue.

Cronkite insisted that we negotiate an end to the war, but the NVA now knew they held a winning hand and stalled for time. LBJ's bombing halt later in 1968 was a god send for them and this was proven by the resumption of bombing in 1972.

Unfortunately at the time we had no easy way of getting out, so what Cronkite did was prolong the conflict, this caused thousands of additional, unnecessary casualties.

I always wondered, what the hell was Cronkite doing making military and political strategy. Is that reporting or trying to make the news? I say good riddance to a big blowhard jacka$$.

And one more thing let's please not get into another war and then decide after the fact that we want out - Oh, maybe I'm little late with that one.

July 18, 2009 at 2:49 p.m.

• Walter Cronkite will be missed,

I remember, tho my mom denies it ever happened,of getting home after my half day of kindergarten at Northside Baptist.

My mom and one of the neighbor ladies where drinking coffee in the kitchen, I was watching TV.

Walter Cronkite interrupted the show to say the president had been shot. Being 5 years old at the time, I went to the kitchen and told my mom and the neighbor lady that the president had been shot.

My mom said "What are you talking about? Go back and play." So I said ok, and I did. At 5 years old the event didn't seem world changing to me I guess.

July 18, 2009 at 2:31 p.m.

• Bobby,

I agree completely with you about Conkrite's integrity. I find it a bit sad, though, that some people long for a time when a handful of networks and newspapers controlled the national news. We had no opportunity to compare and contrast coverage and look for evidence of spin then.

Through these conversations, I hope, in some small way, to point out that your hometown newspaper is not part of the evil empire of mainstream media. The Advocate is a locally and family-owned newspaper that cares about its community. Thanks for sharing your tribute to a great newsman here.

July 18, 2009 at 2:16 p.m.

• Walter Cronkite truly was one of the last of a dying breed, an individual who put integrity ahead of ego -- an individual who personified the word trust.

Today's mainstream media pales in comparison. From the likes of Katie Couric -- who openly and unabashedly favors certain politicians and blatantly despises others -- to the mindless array of bloggers and twitters who have no grasp of real journalism, the profession as we knew it has suffered serious blows and is headed for obsolescence.

It's a sad state of affairs but a legitimate reflection of today's ego-minded, agenda-based society.

Rest in peace, Walter Cronkite.

July 18, 2009 at 1:02 p.m.

• N4796V,

On our Web site, we promote our local stories. Other than my blog post, we don't have a local angle on Cronkite. In print, we have about two pages devoted to the legend.

VBB,

I'm not sure CBS of old was any more pure than the different national news sources of today. News has always been filtered. Cronkite was wonderful, but I wonder how much criticism he'd face in the blogging world of today. I doubt he'd rise to the same level of prominence if he were starting his career now. Of course, that's sort of like saying Joe DiMaggio wouldn't be able to handle today's pitchers.

July 18, 2009 at 11:21 a.m.

• It is truly a sad day in history, as well as, journalism.

What I DON'T understand is why The Alligator takes precedence over Mr. Cronkite as the leading story on the Web? I mean, you go to www.victoriaadvocate.com, and there is the Gator-not Mr. Cronkite!
    Oh Well -------------------------------------------

July 18, 2009 at 11 a.m.

• How fortunate you are to have witnessed such an interview!
    I share your feelings. I miss the integrity of the Cronkites of old. The newsman who tell the news in an unbiased fashion & stick to the facts. Now we have entertainers who pass themselves off as newsman, telling their version of facts. News is also filtered, only certain stories make it to the public while others are buried. The owners of the news source have too much power over what is reported.

July 18, 2009 at 10:51 a.m.