Comments

• Abe,
    I'd be happy to speak with you directly about your column. My phone number is 361-574-1271. I'd appreciate being filled in on the history. I'll ask old-timers here as well. Thanks.

June 23, 2009 at 7:51 a.m.

• CHRIS: "Your column predates me, so I can't speak to why it was dropped..." That's always been understood but it's best not to allow it to fester in my "craw" ("crop" for the purists) any longer. Tim Delaney is probably the only one left who remembers the big "cutoff" of more columns than mine. It's been so hard to justify to my banker why all those unrecovered expenses were necessary when we coundn't afford 'em. My only response has been, "They TOLD me to get the stories so I did that and they didn't keep their side of the bargain." How would YOU feel, Chris? I still feel that I'm due the compensation because I did my job.

June 22, 2009 at 2:55 p.m.

• Thanks, Chris.

By the way, congrats on the awards bestowed upon the Victoria Advocate.

June 21, 2009 at 10:05 p.m.

• Sugar,

Anyone who works in the medical profession has to be halfway to sainthood. You see people at their worst. Sick people usually aren't thinking about saying thank you.

June 21, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.

• Chris - thanks. It just goes along with my kind of territory. Gratitude is not why I got into the field in the first place. You are right about a hug from a child. When you have gained the trust of a scared little boy, there is nothing that can compare. I still feel I can move mountains because of him. I hope he feels the same and is no longer scared of hospitals.

June 21, 2009 at 8:05 p.m.

• Sugar,

It's a pity anyone works anywhere for years without any recognition for their efforts. Of course, a paycheck is fine by me, too. Nothing beats a heartfelt hut from a 6-year-old, though.

Archie,

Thanks for your kind words.

Abe,

Your column predates me, so I can't speak to why it was dropped. We have to use space wisely, but there's always space for high readership items. We hear a lot from NASCAR fans, but we also recognize we have fans of many different sports. The challenge is to satisfy them all daily.

June 21, 2009 at 7:53 p.m.

• Yep, Chris, that's the question: WHAT awards, indeed. Glad you guys get some. The profession I'm in, it's just understood that you really get nothing in return. And that's the way it's always been. Not bellyaching here; I wouldn't still do it if it weren't important to me. I remember only ONE REAL thank you in the last twenty-two years from a patient for what I and others in my field do. It was from a six-year old child; I still have that mug he gave me. And when I feel down, I drink my coffee from that mug that I have held onto for years. Believe it or not, it is enough for me. The thank you was that special and memorable.

June 21, 2009 at 7:42 p.m.

• Congrats to those who won awards. No doubt you are now updating and sending out your resumes.

June 21, 2009 at 6:46 p.m.

• I think that the Advocate is a real good newspaper!

June 21, 2009 at 6:19 p.m.

• CHRIS; There used to be state, regional, and national awards back when I had a column. Around here NASCAR seems to be so much more important than a well rounded nationally recognized outdoor column. FMI, how much do y'all get paid to print all that car racing copy? It's mighty funny that our supposed great new 8 page sports section with 2 outdoor pages was eliminated then you carry from 1/2 to 1-1/2 pages of that crap. What gives? Did a readers poll indicate that much interest in NASCAR? iT'S MIGHTY FUNNY that in response to a readers poll I was assigned all those "women in the outdoors" columns to appear every two weeks and then after logging several hundreds of miles, many LD phone calls, and conducting all those interviews that my AMBLIN' ABE column was canceled "for lack of space" only to have NASCAR to more than take up that space. Where is the corn starch?

June 21, 2009 at 5:55 p.m.

• CONGRATS EVERYBODY. What were the judging criteria for the web page? Layout? Organization? Content? Blogs?

June 21, 2009 at 5:35 p.m.

• Smartee,
    All of the papers in Texas from 7,000 to 99,000 were eligible to enter in the Advocate's circulation category. The Texas Press Association, representing more than 500 member newspapers, has been around since 1880. The association's Web site is at http://texaspress.com.

June 21, 2009 at 4:57 p.m.

• Congradulations to all those that won!

June 21, 2009 at 4:52 p.m.

• Give us an idea of the other papers in this contest. I'd like to see some of their work before I decide if I am impressed. I'm not saying that the awards were not deserved, but it does make me wonder about the other papers.

With the number of proofreading errors you all seem to have, and the lack of providing the whole story and/or no follow-up, I am just curious about the competition.

June 21, 2009 at 4:44 p.m.