Comments

• I have a great idea about a newstory. How about our useless Animal Control? In addition to the rabid rabbit, there was another issue involving a horse on 3/31/09. go pick up the report from VPD. Why are taxpayers paying this department to do NOTHING???

April 1, 2009 at 4:39 a.m.

• I have no problem with newspapers. What I have a problem with it newspapers that consistently twist things around to serve their own purposes. Example...the fatal funnel series.
    Beleive it or not, I have a life outside of this paper being as how I only get on here for a bit each day. It's not something to even crosses my mind during the day. But I find my curiosity overwhelming at what I'm going to see here each morning. Its a good way to enjoy my coffee in the mornings...quite entertaining really. What is more interesting that what IS in the paper is what isn't in my opinion. Again...whatever sells papers. I mean hey, gotta make a buck right?

March 24, 2009 at 5:09 a.m.

• Romonak likes to complain about the paper that he obviously dosen't pay for, but likes to read,bet when you start charging to read paper on line he will pay like everybody else. Personaly I just think he likes to complain.

March 20, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

• why would i pay rising costs for the paper when i can just look at it online? raise it up all you want!

March 20, 2009 at 8:05 a.m.

• Roy...Yeah, the national stuff can come from other sources, but, like I told Chris, I like to read the paper over breakfast and get a little of all the news that way.  It's just a habit formed over decades.  I can't imagine not having a moring paper.  It's just more satisfying -- to me anyway -- to read the paper in print rather than some on-line source.  I do read the Houston Chronicle online and always enjoy the Drudge Report, but neither are as satisfying as reading a newspaper.

March 18, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.

• I know that for many, the opinion page is a big draw (although in my house some people put it after the obituaries and comics).  I look forward to being challenged with new ideas, new information on current events, and a fresh perspective with the Viewpoints section.
    When I take part in that by reading, say, Walter Williams, or some of your local editorials, I really enjoy it.  I even enjoy Leonard Pitts, as he gets the blood moving with his ideas and even his writing style.
    Whoever is writing the editorials does a great job, IMO.  I don't agree with every one of them, but I see their value.  I think that the group or person who does much of this writing could write some columns, perhaps.  I think this would make the Advocate an even "better deal."
    I also like the speak out. I know that some don't care for it, but I like seeing the differing points of view.

March 18, 2009 at 11:40 a.m.

• waywardwind,I disagree with you on national coverage, I can get all of that I want on TV or PC. The VA is and should remain a local newspaper. I don't care of the hearts and flowers stories either,but I understand how proud a parent or friend of someone mentioned (in a good way) in the paper can feel. This brings pride to the community, and we need to  feel proud on our own little local baillwick. We also need more stories on the riftrafe and gang activetive  in the area. howbout all the trash in the streets. Information brings results,it outs  the problems and maybe get one person so upset with the problem that they decide to do something about it. Information is power,  we would have no idea what the mayor and his gang of yes men are doing down at city hall without the paper. The DA and his chief of staff were outed and not covered up as would have been the case because of the paper. Even the commentaters on the site have thier palce,without discussion and even disagreement the paper could become rather boring and onesided. We use to write a letter to the editor and wait a month or more to see if it got printed. Now it all there for all to see and within minuets. uncensored and unedited. As I said before the paper can't be all things to all people but at least we have a paper.

March 18, 2009 at 11:25 a.m.

• I believe people often become critical of a product/service they use over time, expecting perfection.  Once again, I will defend the Advocate,  I get a lot for my money and I pay the full price per copy. I have been critical at time of a particular story, and feel like the story could have been more complete.  But I realize today's news, is not news tomorrow.  I see the newspaper as a treasure chest, I have not opened.  It hold stories of the lives of real people, events, and history in the making.  Often it is the only source of local recorded history.  if I so desire, I can purchase a copy, read it immediately, or even a year later.  It simulates the mind, mental images of people and events are in my minds eye.
    The paper is still a lot cheaper than a 16 oz. soft drink or bottled water.  I often use my old newspapers in gift boxes, starting the grill, drop paper for small painting projects, scape paper for quick notes, and etc.
     One problem I do have with many newspapers.  I have never understood the printing of the projected weather.  Most radio and televisions cover this story with the availably of the latest data.  Now tide reports in the bays would be something more useful.

March 18, 2009 at 12:47 a.m.

• Chris...I love reading a newspaper.  It's a habit I learned from my dad so many decades ago.  I can hardly eat breakfast without the paper.  I understand the need to increase prices; I really do.  The thing I do object to is the reduction in utility going along with the price increase.
    The Advocate is a hometown newspaper and is devoted to coverage of local events.  Okay, fine.  But, I also recognize that we live in a larger world than Victoria County.  I wish I didn't have to go to other sources to find out what is happening the other side of the Colorado River.  I cringe when I see some of the things you put on the front page.  Pro and con questions, cutie pie stories about kids, articles about entertainers and their dope or violence problems are A section news.  I'm not saying those stories shouldn't be covered, but you do have a Crossroads section that would be perfect for them.  There's a war going on that is costing us lives of our soldiers and billions of our tax dollars.  There are stories about the economy that need covering, not to mention the government bailout of the crooks at AIG.  The American auto industry is in big trouble; GM says bankruptcy could mean liquidation.  These stories aren't on the front page.  The shooting at Twin Pines is the first real news story on the front page in several days.  Is the cost of newsprint and ink so expensive that printing more than six pages in the front section to feature world and national news is prohibitive?
    We no longer see the weekly movie list in the Sunday television section and the daily TV listings are no longer printed at all.  Are those features really so expensive that they cannot be returned?
    I don't have a journalism degree, but even I see what should be embarassing typos and other mistakes in headlines and within the body of stories.  These are the things editors should find and correct before the paper is printed.
    I will maintain my subscription, but, am I going to now need to subscribe to the electronic paper to read it?  The opinions of your readers are interesting and I'd hate to have to pay to now read those.
    Please understand that I'm not trying to be unduly critical, but I do miss real news on the front page and true investigations by the paper on things of importance in the area.  You had a great series on the "fatal funnel" even if it did go a little too long.  There are many news junkies in the area.  We wish we had a newspaper that paid attention to more than just what happens in the five or six county area.

March 17, 2009 at 1:37 p.m.