Comments

• Hey Folks,
    I have been away for a while, and still don't have the time as before.

The digital world will completely take over, all in due time. If any media group of any size is trying to remain "this is the way we have always done it" they will perish.

I stopped taking a paper a week after I bought my first computer.
    The Nature Nazis should like an all digital world no trees are killed...

Ya'll have a great day.

May 18, 2009 at 3:34 a.m.

• Newspapers serve a useful purpose. After all, how many take their computers to the bathroom?

May 16, 2009 at 12:28 a.m.

• BigJ please, HB3015 passed the house 94 to 46 on there version, the senate version passed 17 to 14 ( for some reason) , the final compromise version passed the house 100 to 44.

In 2003 the state was facing a budget shortfall of over $1 Billion, they cut costs everywhere.

If you read the whole bill, the amount of tuition paid above $46 a hour is set aside for low income student tuition.

All that being said, I am amazed that one of the smallest A&M alumina groups had that much influence statewide.

May 15, 2009 at 6:04 p.m.

• It’s a matter of economics BigJ ,I never thought I would live to see the day a major city have just one newspaper or no newspaper at all…The New York Times is trying to consolidate and they are one of the world’s largest newspaper…Can’t hire journalist if they continue to lose readership and advertisers.

May 15, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.

• I don’t disagree with Zorro’s comments because I think the newspaper industry will have to eventually go for the not- for- profit route...For example, I would have liked to seen Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Austin join forces for a daily newspaper using the USA Today format ;costing $1.50 per issue and $3 Sunday edition…Just think ,they would have enough money to hire invesagative reporters, feature the top columnists, and a beat writer for all the major sport teams…Dallas, Lubbock, El Paso, and Midland could cover the northern part of the state..The newspaper would be the size of the Houston Chronicle Sunday edition.

I still like the feel of the newspaper and I like the idea that it would take more than a sip of coffee to complete…..I can get the news anywhere but journalist and columnist bring it home to me.

May 15, 2009 at 5:33 p.m.

• Everything is shifting to the internet. This week I finally dropped my telephone land line and now only have Vonnage and cellular. A couple of months back I decided to come back to Netflix because I can watch so many movies and other entertainment instantly now. Many other websites also allow you to watch entertainment and news online. Even the evening news is available online immediately after the live broadcast. I buy everything I can online not only because of price, but convenience as well (my neighbors do as well from seeing the UPS trucks). I spend a lot of time on the computer keeping up to date on the news and entertainment. I know when I receive an email. I can check during the day for updates on the news. I can refresh this web page and see if anyone has made a comment I want to read or comment about. Facebook also keeps me up to date on friends and family, even with recent pictures we share. The world has changed and is changing before our eyes. I fully realize my comments are hardly news and I may very well be behind the curve. I take the Victoria Advocate but I rarely read it other than online. That's not intended as a slight, it's just the truth. Every day seems to bring more wonders courtesy of the internet. The internet now brings you everything, news, entertainment, shopping, and communications, even legal and medical advice. You get the picture.....the internet is the future. Figure out how to make it a part of your business model or perish, it would seem. How many typewriters have you seen lately?

May 14, 2009 at 4:59 p.m.

• It seems to me that TV NEWS will have to some how become more interactive to hold on to its viewers. The internet offers click and go news meaning you can click on and read/view only the stories you want to, with TV you have to wait for them to get to the story they tease you with. The situation is worse for papers because you can only really report the news that has already happened. Soon the internet will more than likely dominate news broadcasting with news crews driving around waiting for a story to break and then trying to be the first on scene to report and upload a live broadcast to the web that subscribers will be able to watch on their cell phones. Just my thoughts.

May 14, 2009 at 3:10 p.m.