Comments

• I suscribe to one newspaper online already and it's just a bi-weekly newspaper! Whenever the Advocate goes to charging us for this I'll pay that too because I like both newspapers! What a pleasure to go outside everyday to get the paper and drink my coffee. In the future they'll talk about how people used to do that!

May 17, 2009 at 6:41 p.m.

• I believe most people are satisfied with the Advocate! I usually read every printed article and ad! I notice mis-spelled words sometimes!

May 17, 2009 at 6:36 p.m.

• I will miss Mike’s (Pilot) blog.
    In my opinion he had the best blog.
    I always felt he wanted to improve the stature of the blogs and comment section and in his own way he tried to communicate that.

May 17, 2009 at 11:58 a.m.

• It is good to see so many people in support the Advocate. While some people complain about the local grads and the series on "Fatal Tunnel", these are articles that very important to our local communities. They not only are informative, but are recorded history of the events for future generations. The pictures of the local grads provides these individuals their day in the sun. Some will never see their name in a positive light in the news again.

There is a good point about an online subscription, I for one would subcribe to an online subscription, as long as it is a complete reflection of the printed page, including photos. I love the feel and sound of the printed page, but hate the pile up of unread copies, when I am pressed for time. Maybe an option for on-line with a printed Sunday or week-end copy. Maybe ads can be moved to each page of the on-line copy to increase positive response for advertisers. Oops, there I go sounding like a complaining reader.
    Keep up with the good work, not ever article or story will appeal to all readers. For myself, I am addict to reading. I will read almost anything.

May 17, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.

• I'm glad to finally see some coverage of academics in the VicAd. Kids are always told how important academics are, but there has always been a lack of coverage and lack of support for most academic extra curriculars. Compare this to the high school sports coverage, pageant coverage, and livestock show coverage. Each has their own merits. Encouragement and enthusiasm is needed to get students to participate in academic endeavors, many of which can be parlayed into college scholarships and post-high school success.

May 17, 2009 at 11:25 a.m.

• So what do you suggest we do about dustin?

May 17, 2009 at 11:18 a.m.

• It's particularly unfair in as much as dustin69 is allowed to continue his anti-everything rants, and to post things on folks' walls that cannot be removed. Dustin is trashing up the place.

I'll take Mike's worst rant over dustin's most coherent comment anyday.

How do we get dustin banned? Flagging his comments repeatedly has done no good. They're still there.

May 17, 2009 at 10:39 a.m.

• Mike's been banned for being critical of the Advocate? Seriously?

Personally, I think it is unfair to ban folks for being critical of the paper. Why? Because the paper puts itself out there publicly, and part of that 'public' means taking the slings and barbs.

Posters can criticize public figures. That is to be expected. What is different about the paper?

I'm sorry to see Mike gone. His good stuff far outweighed his questionable stuff.

But the Advocate's got control of the buttons, so they get to call the shots.

May 17, 2009 at 10:33 a.m.

• Chris

Are you on here 24/7... Sheesh isnt that a little boring? How can you put up with this stuff seven days a week?

May 17, 2009 at 9:46 a.m.

• Thanks for responding Chris, I appreciate it.

May 17, 2009 at 9:33 a.m.

• My comment has nothing to do with the paper ... well, in a round-about way I guess it does ... but that's not why I'm posting. And I don't want to create an account and become a regular blogger just to comment on something that happened recently. So, sorry this is getting posted in this thread but it's the best I could do.

A long time blogger, Mike (The Pilot) Austin has been banned from blogging - apparently for his criticism of the Victoria Advocate in his blog from Saturday. At least, that's what it looks like. He also can't get in the site to retrieve past blogs. Chris, would you care to comment on this? I would like to know what happened, and I'm sure all of Mike's regular readers would like to know also.

Thank you!

May 17, 2009 at 8:28 a.m.

• The Advocate is a good newspaper!

May 16, 2009 at 11:23 p.m.

• I think its interesting.
    One of the complaints I used to hear about the 'local paper' (a weekly) where I grew up. People complaining about all the "community" news pieces. Where someone would write about everything going on in their neighborhood. (including Mrs. Brown's cat having a litter of 11, yes ELEVEN, kittens)
    Those days seem to be gone. Now the 'local paper' where I grew up is available online, if you're a subscriber. Online subscription cost? $27.00.
    If I want to get the actual paper in my hot little hands, I can do that for $45.00, Since I am outside the local subscription area.
    Those community interest pieces, I sure do miss them.

May 16, 2009 at 9:37 p.m.

• If you want to please me, then QUIT writing about the "Fatal Funnel" and the trailer full of dead folks found a few years ago. For the one-billionth, godzillionth time. But then again, it'll be impossible, and probably on the front page tomorrow so it's true, you can't please everyone all of the time.

May 16, 2009 at 8:43 p.m.

• Like a great movie, you have saddness followed by happiness, good beats out evil, stories about people with true grit, and goodness of heart, but you can't find that everyday instead your stuck with real stories that consume very little that every great movie has. Reporting, and digging for stories, choosing all the right words must be like fishing, sometimes a small red, other times a hardhead, and once in a great while a super large trout. Good luck fishing! Some readers like me will continue to read what you write and wait for that keeper.

May 16, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.