Comments

• Thanks, Archie. I agree coffee and the morning paper might be the best combination ever.

We'll keep working on those typos and grammatical and spelling errors. No daily paper will ever eliminate them all, unfortunately.

May 17, 2009 at 8:07 p.m.

• I suscribe to one newspaper online already and it's just a bi-weekly newspaper! Whenever the Advocate goes to charging us for this I'll pay that too because I like both newspapers! What a pleasure to go outside everyday to get the paper and drink my coffee. In the future they'll talk about how people used to do that!

May 17, 2009 at 6:41 p.m.

• I believe most people are satisfied with the Advocate! I usually read every printed article and ad! I notice mis-spelled words sometimes!

May 17, 2009 at 6:36 p.m.

• Alton,

We are working on adding an electronic edition (a PDF version of our printed newspaper) for subscription. Some technical difficulties have delayed the launch, but it should be available soon. Thanks for the support.

May 17, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

• I will miss Mike’s (Pilot) blog.
    In my opinion he had the best blog.
    I always felt he wanted to improve the stature of the blogs and comment section and in his own way he tried to communicate that.

May 17, 2009 at 11:58 a.m.

• It is good to see so many people in support the Advocate. While some people complain about the local grads and the series on "Fatal Tunnel", these are articles that very important to our local communities. They not only are informative, but are recorded history of the events for future generations. The pictures of the local grads provides these individuals their day in the sun. Some will never see their name in a positive light in the news again.

There is a good point about an online subscription, I for one would subcribe to an online subscription, as long as it is a complete reflection of the printed page, including photos. I love the feel and sound of the printed page, but hate the pile up of unread copies, when I am pressed for time. Maybe an option for on-line with a printed Sunday or week-end copy. Maybe ads can be moved to each page of the on-line copy to increase positive response for advertisers. Oops, there I go sounding like a complaining reader.
    Keep up with the good work, not ever article or story will appeal to all readers. For myself, I am addict to reading. I will read almost anything.

May 17, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.

• Smartee,
    We've deleted quite a few of Dustin's posts. Continue to flag an objectionable comments you see. We also have sent him a warning. We'll see how he responds to that.
    MMKO,
    I agree with you. If you know of any particularly talented students who deserve recognition, let us know. Our series on state-bound scholars continues this week.

May 17, 2009 at 11:40 a.m.

• I'm glad to finally see some coverage of academics in the VicAd. Kids are always told how important academics are, but there has always been a lack of coverage and lack of support for most academic extra curriculars. Compare this to the high school sports coverage, pageant coverage, and livestock show coverage. Each has their own merits. Encouragement and enthusiasm is needed to get students to participate in academic endeavors, many of which can be parlayed into college scholarships and post-high school success.

May 17, 2009 at 11:25 a.m.

• So what do you suggest we do about dustin?

May 17, 2009 at 11:18 a.m.

• Six,
    I'm not on 24/7, although it seems that way at times. We have a team of editors who review the site. I do try to respond to comments on my blog, although even that can challenging to keep up with at times.

Smartee, I'm sure you see criticism of the Advocate all of the time on this site. That's not the reason Pilot was banned. He had been repeatedly warned about ranting. Unfortunately, his comments seemed to grow increasingly angry in recent months.

Above all, we promote a civil conversation. As for others who don't observe this, we warn them, too. Generally, we extend a lot of rope to people before we take the step of banning them. We don't want to do that.

May 17, 2009 at 10:55 a.m.

• It's particularly unfair in as much as dustin69 is allowed to continue his anti-everything rants, and to post things on folks' walls that cannot be removed. Dustin is trashing up the place.

I'll take Mike's worst rant over dustin's most coherent comment anyday.

How do we get dustin banned? Flagging his comments repeatedly has done no good. They're still there.

May 17, 2009 at 10:39 a.m.

• Mike's been banned for being critical of the Advocate? Seriously?

Personally, I think it is unfair to ban folks for being critical of the paper. Why? Because the paper puts itself out there publicly, and part of that 'public' means taking the slings and barbs.

Posters can criticize public figures. That is to be expected. What is different about the paper?

I'm sorry to see Mike gone. His good stuff far outweighed his questionable stuff.

But the Advocate's got control of the buttons, so they get to call the shots.

May 17, 2009 at 10:33 a.m.

• Chris

Are you on here 24/7... Sheesh isnt that a little boring? How can you put up with this stuff seven days a week?

May 17, 2009 at 9:46 a.m.

• Thanks for responding Chris, I appreciate it.

May 17, 2009 at 9:33 a.m.

• Yes, Pilot had been repeatedly warned about his occasional rants on this site and told they could lead to his banning. His recent comments suggested he wanted to be banned, so we obliged.

We want to encourage a constructive conversation on this site for all. To get there, unfortunately, we sometimes have to stop a few. Here are our terms of use: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/terms.... Here is our commenting policy: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/user-...

If Pilot wants to retrieve his past blogs, I'll ask our IT department whether that's possible.

May 17, 2009 at 9:31 a.m.

• My comment has nothing to do with the paper ... well, in a round-about way I guess it does ... but that's not why I'm posting. And I don't want to create an account and become a regular blogger just to comment on something that happened recently. So, sorry this is getting posted in this thread but it's the best I could do.

A long time blogger, Mike (The Pilot) Austin has been banned from blogging - apparently for his criticism of the Victoria Advocate in his blog from Saturday. At least, that's what it looks like. He also can't get in the site to retrieve past blogs. Chris, would you care to comment on this? I would like to know what happened, and I'm sure all of Mike's regular readers would like to know also.

Thank you!

May 17, 2009 at 8:28 a.m.

• The Advocate is a good newspaper!

May 16, 2009 at 11:23 p.m.

• Ex,

Others also have advocated entirely separate staffs for print and online. I'm not in that camp, but time will tell. You appear to have a background in social networking, so I'd enjoy talking with you in some more depth. My office number is 361-574-1271. Thanks.

May 16, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.

• Enjay,

We try hard to find a place for all of those little community pieces and encourage readers to submit them. One of our challenges is overcoming the community's preconceived notion that we're not interested in publishing those items.

That's why we started Town Talk and Your Photos on A2. We want to get people in the habit of celebrating with us and their neighbors.

May 16, 2009 at 9:46 p.m.

• I think its interesting.
    One of the complaints I used to hear about the 'local paper' (a weekly) where I grew up. People complaining about all the "community" news pieces. Where someone would write about everything going on in their neighborhood. (including Mrs. Brown's cat having a litter of 11, yes ELEVEN, kittens)
    Those days seem to be gone. Now the 'local paper' where I grew up is available online, if you're a subscriber. Online subscription cost? $27.00.
    If I want to get the actual paper in my hot little hands, I can do that for $45.00, Since I am outside the local subscription area.
    Those community interest pieces, I sure do miss them.

May 16, 2009 at 9:37 p.m.

• Telly,

We had a lengthy discussion about the Fatal Funnel recently on this comment thread:

Relax, though, the next installment is not on the front page tomorrow. Instead, we have coverage of the UHV and VC's graduation, one of the many topics that have been on the front page the other 355 days of the year. I hope we make you happier on those days. I suspect it's folly to think we'll make every reader happy 365 days a year.

I recall a brilliant designer, Tim Harrower, urging journalists as a training seminar to produce a newspaper that challenges, entertains and enlightens readers. If you try to produce a newspaper that offends no one, you'll end up with one that interests none as well.

May 16, 2009 at 9:29 p.m.

• Ex,

We do pay our reporters to blog. I see your point about limiting some others who post so frequently as to drown out the rest of the community's conversation. That's the challenge of moderating a site.

May 16, 2009 at 9:22 p.m.

• One,

Thanks. I try not to take any of it personally. I'm glad people have a personal connection with their newspaper. I see myself only as a steward with an awesome responsibility. The institution of a community newspaper is far bigger than any one person. I hope it's around, in print or digital form, for another 163 years. The fabric of our community depends upon it, in my opinion.

May 16, 2009 at 9:21 p.m.

• If you want to please me, then QUIT writing about the "Fatal Funnel" and the trailer full of dead folks found a few years ago. For the one-billionth, godzillionth time. But then again, it'll be impossible, and probably on the front page tomorrow so it's true, you can't please everyone all of the time.

May 16, 2009 at 8:43 p.m.

• Like a great movie, you have saddness followed by happiness, good beats out evil, stories about people with true grit, and goodness of heart, but you can't find that everyday instead your stuck with real stories that consume very little that every great movie has. Reporting, and digging for stories, choosing all the right words must be like fishing, sometimes a small red, other times a hardhead, and once in a great while a super large trout. Good luck fishing! Some readers like me will continue to read what you write and wait for that keeper.

May 16, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.