Comments

• Itsallfunny,

I'd like to risk island fever for a few months. Sounds glorious. I do think I would miss the rest of civilization, though, after a while. Perhaps not. Depends what day you ask me.

May 19, 2009 at 10:45 a.m.

• Chris,
    Sorry didn't reply sooner. Yes, after about 3 years I got island fever and couldn't handle not being able to drive in one direction for more than an hour or so. Islanders can handle it because it is all they know, but I needed the continental US. Went to California for half a year, then drove to Virginia for a few months, and believe it or not, ended up right back here in Victoria.

May 19, 2009 at 8:28 a.m.

• Jules,
    I'd say Victoria is a small city. Edna is a small town. Of course, that all depends on your perspective. Residents of Mexico City or Tokyo might describe this differently.

I also prefer small-city living, but you definitely don't get anonymity, if that's what you're seeking.

May 19, 2009 at 8:25 a.m.

• Is Victoria truly a small town, or a small city? I have a love-hate relationship with living in a small town. I have lived in small cities and large ones and a small town. I like peace and seeing wildlife, but there is something also to be said for anonymity of cities where people don't get into your business.

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 p.m.

• I live in Spring, TX only 15 minutes away from 2 malls and about 12 minutes from my doctors, 5 minutes from the grocery store and my church. Doesn't get any better than that. We walked this morning in crisp, cool weather.

May 18, 2009 at 6:55 p.m.

• Born and raised in Victoria, so my pride and heart will always be Victoria but my two vacations in Chicago makes that city a close second for me…I prefer the hustle and bustle of the large cities….Urbanite all the way.

May 18, 2009 at 1:23 p.m.

• Jacksonville, Florida is the place to be! I lived there for 2 years. TONS of things to do there as opposed to here.

May 18, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

• Free Thinker,

Marin County certainly is gorgeous, if you can afford to live there. Sounds wonderful. What brings you to our site regularly?

Cebrain,

At the risk of starting a town rivalry, why do you like LaGrange and Shiner more than Yoakum?

Itsallfunny,

The beach every day sounds grand. Ever experience island fever?

May 18, 2009 at 12:49 p.m.

• I live in the San Antonio River Valley, just down 59 from Goliad and I love it. I have lived all over the continental U.S. and Hawaii and there is no place I'd rather be than South Texas.

May 18, 2009 at 12:47 p.m.

• Well I certainly appreciate where I live in northern california. My backyard is a bird sanctuary and it's awesome. I have lived a lot of places but I think the san francisco bay area is my favorite. The natural beauty and the ethnic diversity is great. Of course I love inexpensive ethnic restaurnants and they are all over the place here! I live 10 miles north of San Francisco in marin county so I am not living in the hustle and bustle of the city but can get there fairly easy. I can even take the ferry boat if I want to which is fun to do sometime.

May 18, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

• I have to say my favorite place to live was Oahu, Hawaii. Everything is considered close and there is a great nightlife and so much to do during the day if you are bored. I hit the beach every day off from work I had.

May 18, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.

• I have to admit I don't love where I currently live (Yoakum), but I love where I grew up (La Grange) and I love where we are planning to buil and move to (Shiner). I do agree, though as someone who has traveled extensively to me there is no place like Texas, and I love coming back here no matter where I have been.

May 18, 2009 at 8:11 a.m.

• Global Gal,

As a world traveler, you definitely understand you make the difference in where you live. As they say, no matter where you go, there you are.

My wife and I have seen "Wicked" on Broadway. Our kids have been longing to go ever since, so we're excited to take them. They've been singing to the CD for several years.

May 18, 2009 at 7:31 a.m.

• Having lived in many places, in the US & abroad, I have to say that no matter where you are - downtown Toronto where there are "tons" of things to do, or rural China where there isn't much at all - YOU have to make it fun for yourself. Believe me, I spent plenty of days in Toronto sitting on my sofa watching TV. Victoria and the surrounding areas do have a lot to offer, you just have to seek activities out, as you have.

Wicked, by the way, is wonderful! I hope you enjoy it!

May 18, 2009 at 2:03 a.m.

• I have recently begun to appreciate where I live. I travel quite a bit & the grass always looked greener, but after taking a few years off & staying home, now when I travel, I look forward to getting back home.
    I do miss Victoria & I always did appreciate it when I lived there, pretty town, family & friends & 2 hrs away from everywhere.

May 17, 2009 at 7:20 p.m.