Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 29, 2009 at 4:38 p.m.

• RIP Alyssa,you will be missed by all.

May 29, 2009 at 11:39 a.m.

• I'm a little late to this discussion. I posted a comment on the original news story, but I wanted to add something.

I grew up with Doug in Tahoka and Maritia moved there in 7-8th grade (I think). She and Doug dated throughout high school and married not too long after graduating. They were such a fun couple who had a very special love for each other. When they married, they moved out close to my parents home and started their family. While Maritia was in school getting her degree, Doug became dad and stand-in mom to ease the stress on Maritia and studying. Doug did everything for those kids. After they moved to Victoria, our contact was sporadic because of schedules.

Earlier tonight, I was told from my family in Tahoka, that Maritia and the kids were able to go home today from the hospital. It was an extremely difficult, physically painful trip, especially for her and Maddie. I'm told Doug's body has already arrived in Lubbock, and the funeral will be in Tahoka Monday morning.

I've posted this comment because I'd like for people to pray for the family. It is going to be extremely difficult and physically painful for the family to travel from Victoria to Tahoka this weekend. I'd also like for you to pray that the whole family is comforted by God's love, and can lean on Him during the services and after. Finally, an extra special prayer for Garrett, the son driving that night. Please don't forget to pray for Garrett because he has a great deal on his shoulders right now.

Thanks for listening and praying.

Toi

May 28, 2009 at 10:21 p.m.

• Yes, this is a great question that goes unanswered by all beliefs.

You never know. My brother went right into the Navy after high school. Became a USN FMF Corpsman, a medic with the Marines. Right to Camp Pendleton in 1965, Vietnam time. Stayed in assigned with the Marines through Desert Storm and such, retired through Camp LeJune . Then in civilian life, while driving down the road a guy pulls out in front of him, he is paralyzed from the shoulders down. Five years later he is gone.

All the chances of injury or death all those years in the military then driving down a road as a civilian in the USA.

He really does work in mysterious ways.

May 26, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

• “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

Everything has its time and place.

It’s like a tree seedling having fallen into a desert. The small descendents of that seedling ask God why did you allow for us to live in such an inhospitable place? The seedlings eventually dwindle in number until only one remained. A thousand years later a strange man visits the last seedling tree. He rest is burnt face under its shade, then continues on his journey refreshed. Shortly after the seedling dies, and upon reaching heaven ask God the same question his ancestors did. God looks to the seedling and says I thought I had answered that questioned just before you came to me. The seedling said our whole existence was to eventually serve as shade to that one man, who was he? God looked at the seedling and said, my son Jesus. The seedling and all his descendents knew Jesus was the Son of God sent to free the world from sin. Then the seedling said why didn’t you just tell us that our sacrifice was to serve the savior? God said would it have changed anything. He went further to say the only thing that would have changed, is that your actions would have been out of consequence rather than virtue.

Everything in our lives leads us to either live out of virtue or consequence.

Everything leads to who we will become, how we deal with the events of our lives determines if we grow closer or further away from Gods mission for us.

At the time of my son’s death I was lost; through embracing the belief that I’m going to live each day after in a manner that would have made him proud to be my son, I found the person I should have been. Through the lord taking my son into his care he saved something more important than my life, my soul.

Everyone has to find their own way, in their own time.

May 26, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

• I lost my father in May of 2001 and it was very hard on me. My parents devorced when I was 13 and he raised me on his own from then on. Family and friends are a big help for getting through any loss but the tough times for me were the alone times because even good memories can bring sadness. My prayers and heart go out to all Family and Friends for their loss.

May 26, 2009 at 2:14 p.m.

• Mr. Cobler, thank you for this blog. It is so very true that we never know what will happen in any given moment, so we must take the opportunity to share our friendship and love with those close to us at any available opportunity.

May God's peace come soon to both families in their loss.

May 26, 2009 at 11:59 a.m.

• I agree. You do all you can for your kids to protect them. Lizzie is also friends w/Alyssa and she was devastated. She's never lost someone this close to her. I remember Alyssa went to Dudley w/Lizzie. I suggested to Lizzie that she print out any recent pictures she has of Alyssa to give to her mom as a keepsake. That way she could see some of the happy times the girls had together. I feel for the kids when they go to school today. Alyssa will not be there to brighten the halls.... but I told Lizzie she will be there with you in spirit. We have to pray for Maddie's family and Alyssa's family and try to be there for them if we can. My heart goes out to these two families for their tremendous loss. May God be with you all thru all of this. Alyssa truly was a ray of sunshine. We will miss her!! Theresa Schmidt

May 26, 2009 at 11:23 a.m.

• You know Chris, you are so right. Right now i am going through a hard time in my life. I know i have 2 friends that i can lean on and we can talk about things. They can make me smile when i can't smile. I have always been an up beat person never getting into any trouble. All of sudden my life has taken bg hit, I worry whether i can make it through what will be a big hit to me and my family. I have always worried of what ppl would think of me. Now I will get to know who my friends really are. I pray that this family can get through this. I also pray that your daughter gets through this also. When something like this happens it effects an entire commuinty.

May 26, 2009 at 10:19 a.m.