Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

January 18, 2010 at 7:02 p.m.

• itsallfunny: "Can the money that is made by using this advertising go towards hiring reporters that can fairly report without mistakes."

First Cobler has to ADMIT that there is a problem with the reporters.
    That will never happen. He is in denial.

January 8, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

• Can the money that is made by using this advertising go towards hiring reporters that can fairly report without mistakes. Ones that will listen to scanners, get out of bed after hours and go get a story for the paper? Ok, that's stretching it, but how about an editor that can edit at least?

January 8, 2010 at 10:14 a.m.

• Cobler: "Our ethics board focused on a couple of questions: Would readers understand this was advertising and not news? Would this damage the credibility of the newspaper?"

I think everyone got that it was not news, but advertising. From what I have seen in comments and from my own experiance, the problem is in the readability of the paper with that half page that you can't grasp with the rest and that it covers up the headlines (especially a problem if you get your paper from a machine).

If you are truely worried about the ethics and credibility of the paper I have a question for you about credibility.

What's a Mair?
    I don't know either but apparently Houston's got a newly elected one who is lesbian.

Seriously, Your staff does not know how to spell Mayor?

And don't excuse it as the "headline came from another source" (like AP Wire) Both yours and theirs(AP's) editors should have caught that in your face obvious mistake.

Poor reporting and editing are two of the biggest gripes I keep seeing from others online yet you refuse to even entertain the idea that there even MIGHT be a problem.

You're living in denial.

January 8, 2010 at 9:57 a.m.

• flounder & exrez: I'm with you guys. Shug: Wouldn't a 16 oz fishing sinker keep the wrap down on most days and a brick bat on the windiest? I never could savvy why they wore them and had to keep one hand on 'em all day. SILENT'S "That way, I can pull off the Port Lavaca Ford/Chrysler/Chevrolet ad, drop it in the trash can and then read the paper." was a good idea. I wouldn't buy anything from that bunch because those popups are such a pain in the patooty.

January 3, 2010 at 9:33 p.m.

• Mr. Cobler - I am heartened to hear (see?) you say that you don't have immediate plans to publish the half-page ad on the front page again. I hope this doesn't leave too much wiggle room to publish that blasted thing in another part of the paper. But that's probably just my cynicism showing through.

I DO very much understand the importance of advertisers in keeping costs in check, but I assure you, sir, the half-page ad is NOT the way to go about it. I am glad you are taking into account both the readers' and the advertisers' thoughts here. I do hope an equitable and reasonable (and non-irritating!) solution can be reached.

And, PatientEarth, I know what you mean. I once had a tweed wrap-around skirt that - oh, never mind. That would get this post deleted for sure! Tell ya later. (Just not here!)

January 3, 2010 at 7:01 p.m.

• Simple solution--sell Ben Keating the inside of the fold over, too, instead of putting news on it. The whole thing would be advertising. Keating will probably go for it--he spends a fortune on advertising. That way, I can pull off the Port Lavaca Ford/Chrysler/Chevrolet ad, drop it in the trash can and then read the paper.

January 3, 2010 at 2:15 p.m.

• Among the many annoyances I must face in this life, this one is so low on the list as to not register. If it keeps the cost of my subscription down, it is good.

January 3, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.