Comments

• Over 20 years ago I was making a living driving a truck over the road, OTR. As many of us did in the mornings before the advent XM and SIRIUS I tuned to NPR for the news in the morning. It was a good thorough news program albeit a left leaning programming. Not as much as nowadays but none the less.
    Not much of a difference in most ideas of what it was.

November 5, 2010 at 2:35 a.m.

• people on the left usually say vicad is too far to the right

people on the right usually say vicad is too far to the left

sounds like they're doing a good job to me

November 4, 2010 at 10:27 p.m.

• The Advocate continues to impress me as a newspaper that strives to be factual and middle of the road. While I do not always agree with the positions they take, I definitely appreciate the obvious effort to lean neither right or left. That is a mark of good journalism.

November 4, 2010 at 3:57 p.m.

• It is interesting that some people have a fixed opinion on what is left and right. It depends on what you consider to be the center. It is relative to your core beliefs. PBS vs Fox? Where is the center?

November 4, 2010 at 11:04 a.m.

• Chris,
    As far as the left/right bias.
    The Advocate has become much more centrist since the absence of Joe Beam, that is for sure. Not quite in the UT sports thing, but that's another story. Y'all are not as bad as the Statesman but still lean left.
    As far as the best centrist syndicated guest it has to be Walter Williams. But that is the needle in a hay stack.
    If your news source is MSNBC or CNN, yea the Advocate may be considered right. But they have a shrinking audience.

November 4, 2010 at 10:37 a.m.

• my comment was deleted. perhaps if i keep it short.
    Bernie Klimists wife, Laura Klimist is now teaching the freshman drill team as dj's replacement. he is now involved. salt to the wound in my opinion.
    was there NO other qualified dance instructors?

November 3, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.

• Kim - you don't think the article took a side because you were on the side it took.
    being vague towards any of DJ's version of the story.

November 3, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 3, 2010 at 5:08 p.m.

• Dear Mr. Cobler,

Thank you for the opportunity to express my thoughts. You presented them in a accurate and unbiased form. I continue to stand by my statements.

Here I must try to clarify my core purpose in the e-mail I sent to you. My thought was that I am very uncomfortable with a single source for information regarding issues that a well educated citizen uses to decide what and how to direct our lives.

For many years I subscribed to the Victoria Advocate and the Houston Chronicle and watched several TV News programs for news and others observations on current events.

With the introduction of the internet there was a new source of infomation. Sadly every source of information comes with a slant of some kind. Facts are funny things. There are facts that are total and accurate, facts that only include detail that support the writers presupposed belief and last there are facts that are called facts because the writer will accept no other information.

In the overall scope of things the truth is always the truth and once it has been "adjusted" to fit the position of an agenda it is only words and has no value. I don't claim to know the "truth" on any single issue, but I do know if someone tells me they are the only ones with the "truth" I start looking elswhere.

Dan Martin

November 3, 2010 at 11:24 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 2, 2010 at 9:26 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 2, 2010 at 9:18 p.m.

• The Advocate never took either side. Although we answered questions they only stated what was happening. Go back and read the articles. The Houston Chronicle gave much more detail on her job history/accomplishments and the accusation by DJ about Mr. Klimist and the spin she gave to the reporter about the Keeling/Jaynes election. Her job history/accomplishments were necessary because Houston citizen's have no idea who she is.
    The lie about Bernie Klimist was just that another lie to deflect from the truth. Pick a conspiracy theory and stick with it. Each week it is a new vendetta someone supposedly had against her.

We NEVER spoke to Bernie. No one in VISD back us, took our sides but simply listened, looked at our evidence, along with former/current team members evidence and after a 3 month investigation they took the appropriate action.

Children are the center of the investigation and their names are part of the evidence. That is why VISD will never turn over that information to any reporter. Thankfully they have the best interest of the children in mind. We filed the grievances on our own because of the retaliation that we personally experienced. We had no one in administration or related to administration speaking up for us to VISD.

We never said DJ did not do good things, we were her biggest supporters until we were put in the position to see all of the wrong taking place. I've asked questions from day one only to be lied to and when you see the truth it's wrong to stick your head in the sand and allow current/future members to be done wrong.
    The facts are the facts and nothing will change that.
    As for TKB...it is no secret a family member is paid $37,000.00 for the event. That is not all profit for him but the entire event cost $60,000.00 to have. I have all of the receipts to prove it.
    This is not a privately owned business it is a public school class, which is credited and that is insane for any one person to make that kind of profit off of. That is our tax dollars being used.

I do not agree that ANOTHER story needs to be done. It is over, let it go and move on. To do another story is pouring salt in an open wound. Until your family personally has to experience the wrath/lies of the haters you can not comprehend. We never hated anyone and the retaliation is the reason any of this was ever started. Let it stop, please.

November 2, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

• How about the Manufactured Home Community White Folk factor?

November 2, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.

• Dear Mr. Cobler,

I found the Houston Chronicle article extremely slanted in sympathy of Ms. Jaynes. As one of the comments stated, that particular article was a sad example of journalism. Not really surprising for the Chronicle. It is a test of endurance to attempt to read that newspaper. I no longer have it delivered since my bird died.

November 2, 2010 at 7:17 p.m.

• Amen, westwhat.

November 2, 2010 at 7:16 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 2, 2010 at 7:12 p.m.

• Dear Mr. Cobler,

I totally agree with Mr. Martin's evaluation of the coverage of the "DJ Saga" comparing the Advocate local coverage to the in depth reporting of the Houston Chronicle. It seems to me that some of the important aspects of the "Saga" were glazed over by the Advocate, leaving us wondering what really happened. Please report the facts and don't give the readers of Victoria a watered down story. We deserve the facts!

November 2, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.