Comments

• Thanks, Kyle. We plan to try the upgrade again early Sunday. I hope we won't have to use your cool new trick for too long. We anticipate the site will be down only in the wee hours when most are sleeping. Knock on wood.

November 15, 2010 at 8:52 a.m.

• Here's a good tool to see if it's just you or everyone that can't connect to a particular website:

November 14, 2010 at 8:48 p.m.

• I'm always in town; I'm just the one driving the get-away car.

I'm a taxi. D=

November 14, 2010 at 8:11 p.m.

• Mike,
    Welcome back to Texas. Are you returning to Houston? For a good job, I hope.
    Re your question, in this context, I mean an average user to be someone who points his or her browser at a website and starts reading, not a Mark Zuckerberg-type.
    Re the future of newspapers, I agree they need to evolve with society and technology. In the meantime, it's still worth remembering that your Advocate was profitable even during the worst economy since the Depression.
    I hope when you're back in Texas you'll be able to pick up a copy of the print edition, too. Our paper today was packed with both advertising and local news.
    The digital and print editions are vastly different experiences. One is not necessarily better than the other -- they're just very different.

Legion,
    I appreciate the football reference. What about that crazy play that cost the Texans the game? I guess it was better to catch the ball than knock it down. And who can figure out the Cowboys? I'm just glad I picked up Dez Bryant for my fantasy team.

Rebecca,

Thanks for jumping in here after our Twitter exchange this morning. I rarely see you around town, but I always feel better after one of our virtually chats. You have quite a talent for encouraging others.

Now, back to Sunday night football. Big Ben is my fantasy quarterback.

Chris

November 14, 2010 at 7:49 p.m.

• I have to admit, I take my coffee with much cream and this site. I know you recommended that I try out the print edition, but I couldn't find a kid that was awake and/or dressed... I usually can't wait that long. I guess, in answer to your question, I had to check Twitter to see if other locals were griping about the site being down or to see if anyone was offering explanations. =P

November 14, 2010 at 7:29 p.m.

• In football terms, since it is Sunday, I guess the upgrade amounted to a flag on the play, false start.

It was sorta kinda neat to see the "unexpected syntex error loading request" though.

November 14, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.