Comments

• Personal side note:
    My grandfather Ysidoro M. Ramirez, was born
    only eight years (1854-1950) after The Advocate was founded.
    My father, Manuel (1902-1985) was his youngest child.
    I was my parents youngest one born one hundred and one
    (1947) years after The Advocate was founded.
    Both my grandfather and father's obituaries were duly noted by
    The Advocate, as I'm sure mine will also be soon enough.
    Thanks to The Advocate for being a continiuos part of our lives!

October 31, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

October 21, 2010 at 4:07 p.m.

• On a completely different note, though, I never knew until just now that you could resize the Post a Comment text box at the bottom of an article - you simply click on the two diagonal lines in the bottom right corner and resize the box.

Sorry off topic...

October 15, 2010 at 2:15 p.m.

• It works fine for me - tested on Google Chrome and IE 8

October 15, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.

• Same here. I just refresh the page everytime it scooches over.

October 15, 2010 at 2:08 p.m.

• i see the shifting cloumns from time to time.

October 15, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

• mzmizer,

I have not been to the TSLA in years! I guess I'll have to go take a field trip.

But as to VRHC, I find it amazing what is available right here.

October 14, 2010 at 9:53 p.m.

• EA,

Have you been to the Texas State Library and Archives in Austin since the remodel?? WOW, just WOW!!

If you have an ancestor that served in the Civil War in Texas but never served out of state, those records are kept at the State Archives.
    Now that VRHC is a Depository for those records you don't have to travel to Austin for them. I accomplish more research at VRHC and the County Courthouse than ANY other agency, public and private here.

October 14, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.

• mzmizer-- It's kind of like digging through the mystery boxes in the back of the closet. You know it's good stuff because kept it, you just have no idea which box it's in.

There is certainly something to be said for a professionally run archive. Which is probably part of the reason the Texas State Library and Archives designated the VC/UHV library as the depository, and not the Victoria County Archives/VPI office.

October 14, 2010 at 9:17 p.m.

• Edith Ann,

The Victoria Regional History Center AND Victoria County Clerk are the only ones here locally who both have their archives indexed.
    As a genealogist, it makes my research much more efficient.

Then there are some agencies, I am still trying to figure out what exactly their purpose is, when nothing is indexed and everything is available at these two sources.

October 14, 2010 at 8:58 p.m.

• Thanks, mzmizer! To add to your post, The Victoria Regional History Center has all of their collection indexed, so you can find what you are looking for.

October 14, 2010 at 7:45 p.m.

• To add to Edith Ann's post.

Sharon Barnes and her staff can order microfilms or fiche from the Texas State Library and/or the State Archives. Not mention the vast collection of local and surrounding county histories they hold.

Never a charge for them. It is part of the service they offer at Victoria Regional History Center which is located on the 2nd floor of VC/UHV Library.

October 14, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

• I'll have to break open my copy The Cavalcade of Jackson County...

October 14, 2010 at 5 p.m.

• An excellent question!

I would like to suggest that you speak with Sharon Barnes, Archivist at the Victoria Regional History Center at the Victoria College/University of Houston Victoria Library. I bet she could help you.

The Victoria Regional History Center also serves as the Regional Historical Resources Depository of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

October 14, 2010 at 4:42 p.m.

• This is excellent, most interesting! Thanks for posting.

October 14, 2010 at 3:32 p.m.