Comments

• Maybe someone needs to write a book of common sense for those who do not believe in a higher power.

September 6, 2011 at 1:20 p.m.

• Amen Kyle. You got it. That's were most of these conservative Christians are coming from. When I find something better to adhere to, which ain't going to happen, never mind. By the way, I know I cannot and will not always do what it says, but at least I know the guidelines and strive to do what He asks. His will beats anything mine can come up with.

September 6, 2011 at 12:35 p.m.

• Acceptance of diversity and the change it brings can be difficult for those who choose to adhere so literally to an immutable written text.

September 6, 2011 at 12:17 p.m.

• So Kyle. If we one day decide it is okay for consenting single minor boys or girls to have sexual encounters with adults, then the VA will be obliged to write a major article with details on the front page on how this lifestyle is working for some. Don't think for a minute that this cannot happen in your lifetime. If those of us who don't want to go along with changing our mind on what was once evil to now be called good, or okay, why should we not remind others that we as a society don't have to give in to the moral decay of our society. There has always been queers, gays, homosexuals, since time began, but now for the first time our culture is saying it is okay. I say no, and so do a bunch of other folks, and we don't appreciate being labeled a bigot for speaking our peace on a subject we know we are on the right side since time began.

September 6, 2011 at 12:02 p.m.

• Beakus, the newspaper has to change with the times to reflect the growing diversity of the community. Even here in the backwaters of Texas, evolution occurs and it is right and proper to be as inclusive of the population as possible.

September 6, 2011 at 11:48 a.m.

• Chris. I will say that I respectfully agree to disagree with you on the VA not pushing the envelope. As an example, do you think if we go back a few decades that you as editor would have allowed an article that you chose to allow on the GLBT issue. I don't think so. And why? Because you would have lost your job for doing such a foolish thing. What has changed since that time. Many things in the secular society has changed with the constant push from the gay community, government getting involved, entertainment world doing all it can do to normalize the gay lifestyle, and last but not least the liberal media in general doing what they can do to promote the lifestyle. So, the only push back comes from the religious right, evangelical community, bible believing Christians, other conservative religions. Why would they do that? Because the base for their belief system, God's word, did not change. It won't change because He did not make a mistake and that lifestyle is no more accepted by Him now then it was in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

September 6, 2011 at 11:39 a.m.

• Chris. You should not be surprised by the caller's comment, nor upset. If you read comments, which I know you do, on LTE or Faith articles, you know there are all types of religion haters in this community. The most vocal are the Christian haters. I believe you are looking for sympathy, reasoning, understanding, etc.. on very volatile subjects, that extremist will lash out. If you think not, just run an article about anti-abortion groups and feature a picture and interview of the older man who stands on Navarro with the bad signs.

So why would the VA keep pushing the envelope on the front page with articles on religion or GLBT issues. Put these type articles on any page other than the front page and I strongly believe that people will be more receptive. In a city this size and with national news items galore, why would the VA want to go there? It certainly does not help circulation, agree?

September 6, 2011 at 6:44 a.m.

• Hummm...how to respond to an irate caller...

1. Thank you for your opinion ma'am and feel free to write a letter to the editor, cancel your subscription or both. (and don't let the door hit you in the...you know the rest)

2. Geez, I bet you must be old enough to still hate the Germans and the Japanese for WW2. Guten tag frau (sp.?)

3. Oh, just get over yourself you old biddy...

Ahhhhhh.....there! I feel so much better now. :)

September 5, 2011 at 10:52 a.m.

• wow--the caller hates muslims so much they can't even stand to look at a picture of them. kudos to the Advocate for running the picture and then printing the voicemail response.

sad thing is that this is pretty common around Victoria. the Confederate statue downtown can't exactly be a welcoming sight to black residents and visitors, and now that Cactus bar is in trouble for kicking out gay people because they're gay.

please keep printing front-page pictures like that and also the reactions you get at the paper. it's a great reason to keep buying the Advocate.

September 5, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.

• I would say to the callers "Way to go!! I agree with them wholeheartedly". What have we learned? That they won't stop targeting the USA.

September 4, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 2, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.

• I am grateful for the diversity and respect shown in the Advocate and in the type of stories that reflect our faith families. I am a Christian pastor and I value our Jewish and Muslim connections. Also, I am an Army veteran and many a patriotic Muslim has given their life for our country...not to mention the Muslim firefighters and others who lost their lives on 9-11; hopefully, your irate caller will perhaps rethink their opinion regarding our fellow Americans. Keep up the great work!

September 2, 2011 at 10:17 a.m.

• @ Hicktoria - please... NOT THE FATAL FUNNEL!!! I can't take it anymore! Aack!

On a serious note, this country was founded on the basis that we are enabled to worship the way we choose. I do not agree with Muslim doctrines but they have just as much right to worship as Christians.

Our world is ever changing. Instead of sticking our fingers in our ears and burying our heads in the sand, maybe it would be a good thing to listen and learn about others. We may just learn that we have more in common than previously assumed. Why keep up the hate just because someone is different than me.

Has "Muslim" become the new "n" word?

September 1, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

• I have had the honor and pleasure of working with Muslims on a daily and very close basis. Just like any culture or religion or race there are good people and bad people. The Muslims I have known are the epitome of honor and kindness and good. I know there are some bad Muslims....the ones who attacked America were bad. There are also very bad Christians...and I have personally known some. Every person should be judged individually. The people who say things like the caller did are to be pitied for their ignorance and shallow experience. If they don't want to read the Advocate....so be it....I don't think their loss will close your doors.

September 1, 2011 at 1:28 p.m.

• Chris,

Thank you for both the front page article and sharing this callers rant. I have, from time to time, been critical of Some of the Victoria Advocate's lead stories because I am not a fan of "fluff" stories. That front page article was outstanding and is ray of hope.

This issue is even more important because of the upcoming 10th anniversery of a day that changed us all forever. Over the last few months I have watched your staff delete some very ugly comments. And I am conflicted to some degree about the wisdom of that policy.

On one hand it is wrong to help others spread hate and bigotry but there is something to be said about bringing it into the open under a very bright light of public view. We are struggling with finding our individual and national moral center. Maybe if we could ask these angry folks to put a large sign in their front yard stating their point of view we might get to know our neighbors and community better.

I would like to see more outreach to others and less "lefthook".

September 1, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.

• I would have asked what Muslims have to do with the economy. Then I would have asked what else they don't want to see on the front page, and then proceed to put those exact things on the front page for the next few issues.

September 1, 2011 at 11:08 a.m.

• You did the right thing Chris, because all the talking in the world will not penetrate. It's like a any bad customer, you listen, you smile and tell them to have a good day. There's no use of both being angry, besides the paper didn't do anything wrong.

September 1, 2011 at 10:48 a.m.

• Nah, I would of said would you rather some more fatal funnel???

September 1, 2011 at 10:38 a.m.

• those callers are like the people that say that Obama is not their president! ignorant fools!

September 1, 2011 at 10:35 a.m.

• an angry, ignorant redneck in victoria ??????

color me shocked

September 1, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.

• This is Victoria and, in all seriousness, this attitude is to be expected with a loudness not found in the country as a whole.

Do as you have done, thank them for their opinion, provide them with an opportunity to continue to do so, and maintain a balanced approach to this issue.

September 1, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.

• "We report reality. Muslims are really a part of our community." But, then my tongue would start bleeding and I'd say something I wouldn't regret. Then I'd be fired. =D

September 1, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.

• I would hope that the Advocate would stand up and say, "This is America - where we all have freedom of speech and freedom to worship as we desire. No one can tell you what your opinion is, and no one can force you to embrace an 'offical' religion.'

Then, I would applaud the paper for printing stories about many different religions and denominations: Islam, Christianity, and others. Thank you for allowing many voices to be heard.

And finally, I would shake my head sadly as comments and blogs about city government corruption, unneeded tax increases, university system switches, and other items of local interest get deleted as soon as they're posted if the editors don't like what they have to say...

see the problem here, Chris?

September 1, 2011 at 9:24 a.m.

• The freedom in the US has to be guarded at all times. The freedom to print what you wish on the front page of the Advocate – as well as an individual’s freedom to refuse to subscribe or read the Advocate. When we begin to succumb to the threats of others censorship – then our freedom begins to erode and we lose.

September 1, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.