Comments

• MobyD and jasonbourne: you won't BELIEVE what I saw in H.E.B. the other day - HIPPITY HOPS!! I haven't seen those in years, but there they were, just after y'all mentioned them!

I had a sweet banana seat bike I cherished when I was a kid....

Chris, I agree this area needs a unique coffee shop. I sure hated to see Longleaf go.

There used to be this place on Montrose in Houston called "Magic Bus" that had coffee, games like chess, parcheesi, great music and....uh. I think that's all I can say here. But it was a cool place, I miss it.

March 31, 2012 at 10:42 a.m.

• Game,
    I don't think of Victoria as a typically hip place, but it suits me just fine. Perhaps we'll get hipper yet as we become more of a college town. I wish we had a coffee hangout with a more local flavor than Starbucks, for example. What do you wish we had here? Thanks, all, for commenting.

March 31, 2012 at 7:37 a.m.

• my heart is sinking that people haven't yet posted an event they think is hip and exciting in the Crossroads apart from the first ever film festival that just happened. Victoria is going to lose it's young people very quickly this way.

March 30, 2012 at 6:55 a.m.

• Whamo and Hippity Hops LOL!

CB Radios, Bananna seat bikes and the sonic on Rio Grande. The Captains Club, Codies, and for a few of you out there that like taking a chance, Tony & Dora's.

March 26, 2012 at 6:51 p.m.

• Low Hip Huggers, but they're gone, mini skirts are hip. Oh yes, Whamo, Hippity Hops, they're gone too.

What's hip in the crossroads? Got no answer.

March 26, 2012 at 6:40 p.m.

• Saw/listened to Guy Clark and Jerry Jeff Walker sing "L.A. Freeway" at Sun Valley. That's probably more under the heading of "cool" than hip.
    Willy's Picnic near Gozales in '76 was pretty hip,especcially if you aree into nudity!LOL
    Pat Barnes

March 26, 2012 at 1:23 p.m.

• We think of the Crossroads in terms of the counties immediately surrounding Victoria. That wouldn't include the metropolitan areas of San Antonio, Corpus, Houston or Austin.

March 26, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

• How wide an area constiutes the Crossroads,Chris?
    Pat Barnes

March 26, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.

• True enough, Pat. I'm sure my teenage kids would tell you I am not the one to provide the definition of hip. Even the word itself is no longer hip.

March 26, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.

• Auther Dillon's Superbowl of Chili Cookoffs in the late 70s-early 80s. Plus lots of other cookoffs in the park.
    Patrick Barnes
    "Hipness" varies with the time,I think.

March 26, 2012 at 9:37 a.m.

• Rezfest

March 25, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

• If you have to ask "what hip is" you'll never understand.

Armadillo Confab and Exposition was clearly off the charts "hip" when discussing Victoria activities or events.

Halter Tops in large numbers are really hip.

March 25, 2012 at 9:58 a.m.

• I wouldn't answer Bocktoberfest, though I went to a couple and they were OK. Best act I saw at those was Junior Brown.

Armadillo Fest, dunno, wasn't here at that time. Maybe a couple of people who were there could chime in.....except they've been banned.

March 25, 2012 at 9:43 a.m.

• Define "hip"?
    Patrick Barnes

March 25, 2012 at 9:32 a.m.

• I expect some will answer Bocktoberfest and the original Armadillo Fest, and I'd enjoy hearing stories about those hip occurrences from before my time.

March 25, 2012 at 8:59 a.m.