Many ceremonies are planned in the Crossroads Sunday and Monday to honor soldiers who gave their lives while fighting for the freedoms Americans enjoy today.
Here are some of the planned ceremonies:
- The Mission Valley Community Cemetery Association will meet at 5 p.m. Sunday at the cemetery for its annual Memorial Service and business meeting. Anyone who has loved ones buried in the cemetery are urged to attend. Bring a lawn chair; there is no seating available.
- The Hideaway, 1807 Stolz St., is having a Memorial Day of Remembrance and Honor from noon to 3 p.m. Monday. There will be barbecue, karaoke, live music, a raffle and games. Chicken and sausage plates are $9 each and include rice, beans and all the trimmings. Veterans eat free with a military ID. Live music throughout the day will be provided by Jerry James, Tainted Heart, 361 Band, Stephanie Ross and Southern Drive, Joe Walmsley, Wild Bill, Johnny Barefield, Fast Freddie Rosa, Johnny Beard and Rodney Anderson. Proceeds from the event will benefit Victoria County Veterans Council. For more information or to donate items for the event or participate in the event, contact Rodney Anderson at 361-218-6384 or 361-575-9422.
- The Victoria County Veterans Council will host the Memorial Day Ceremony at 11 a.m. Monday at DeLeon Plaza. A flag raising ceremony will be at 7:30 a.m. at the Victoria County Courthouse. Gary Moses will be the master of ceremony. For more information, contact Ernest Montey, at 361-571-0697.
- The Memorial Weekend Bash Music Festival is from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday and 6 to 11 p.m. Sunday at the DeLeon Plaza and bandstand. Siggno and others will be among the music lineup.
- The Warrior’s Weekend Field of Honor Memorial Day Flag Retirement is from 5:25 to 10 p.m. Monday at Parkway Church, 4802 John Stockbauer Drive. This is the annual LaSalle District of Boy Scouts Memorial Day flag retirement at the Warriors Weekend Field of Honor. Make plans for your unit to come out and take part in this patriotic event to show our veterans our support.
- The VFW and the American Legion are teaming together for a wreath placing event. The groups will meet at 8 a.m. Monday at the Veterans Memorial at the Bay in Port Lavaca for a wreath placing ceremony. They will also place a wreath in the bay in honor of veterans. The groups will then travel to Port Lavaca Cemetery and meet at the flagpole to place a wreath. Flags will then be placed on all identifiable veterans graves in that cemetery, then they will travel to the cemetery in Seadrift and Greenlawn Cemetery and place flags on veterans graves there. Afterward everyone will gather at the Port Lavaca VFW Hall around 11 a.m., for drinks and refreshments and to hear a guest speaker.
- Stevens Health Care & Rehab Center, 204 Walter St., in Yoakum is having a Memorial Day Tailgate Party beginning at 11 a.m. Monday.
- Veterans memorial ceremony is planned for 10:30 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial (helicopter) at the corner of SH 72 and East Main Street. Guests are asked to stay and enjoy refreshments after the ceremony.
- Memorial ceremony at 8:30 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial in Green-Dickson Park. Refreshments will be served following the ceremony.
- A service will be at 8:30 a.m. at Sacred Heart Church Family Center sponsored by the Vietnam Veterans of America Lone Star Chapter 854.