- PORT O’CONNOR – The Port O’Connor Chamber of Commerce has announced the winners of the 2018 Christmas Lighting Contest. Best Commercial SH 185 – Teresa’s Nail Salon; Most Spirited – Troy and Paula Beaudry; Most Religious – Joe and Theresa Krenek; Most Decorated – Clay and Sunny Schumann; Best Coastal – Jerry Crosby; Most Unique – Robbie and Marie Hawes; Best Christmas Themed – Scott and Tiffany Brown; Most Colorful – Collin Gee.
- A community retirement party for Calhoun County Precinct 4 County Commissioner Kenny Finster will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Port O’Connor Community Center, 3764 W. Adams St.
- PORT LAVACA – The New Year’s Eve Bash by the Bay will be at 7 p.m. to midnight Monday at the Bauer Community Center, 2300 SH 35 North. The Emotions will perform. A champagne toast will be held at midnight. Tickets are $25 each and $275 (eight tickets) for reserved tables. Tickets can be purchased at portlavacachamber.org. For more information, call 361-552-2959.
- SEADRIFT – The Seadrift Chamber of Commerce will have the Santa Golf Cart Scavenger Hunt beginning with registration at 1 p.m. Saturday at the parking lot of the First National Bank, 101 Railroad St. Race will begin at 2 p.m. The fee is $5 per person with a maximum of four members per team. Each team must have a phone that takes pictures; a licensed driver to drive the golf cart or utility vehicle; battery of golf cart or utility vehicle must be able to last one and a half hours; and minors must have a parent or guardian signature to participate. The event was originally scheduled for Dec. 8.
- CUERO – The city of Cuero will pick up Christmas trees from 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 9. Trees must be placed on the curb and must not have ornaments, lights, or tree stands attached.
- The Cuero Chamber of Commerce will host its annual membership social on Jan. 10 at The Venue on Church Street, 125 E. Church St. Tickets are on sale at the chamber, 210 E. Main St.
- The Cuero Chamber will also be closed Dec. 31 -Jan. 1.
- The Cuero Development Corporation will have its January Community Leaders’ meeting at 7:30 a.m. Jan 4 at the Cuero Public Library, 207 E. Main St. The speaker will be University of Houston-Victoria president Bob Glenn. Those who would like to attend will need to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Cuero Main Street office will be closed through Jan.1 in observance of the holidays.
- SHINER – The Shiner Chamber of Commerce has announced the winners of the 2018 Shiner Chamber “Go Bright” lighting contest. Winners inside the city are 1., Charlene Weber; 2., Sherri and Chuck Vincik; and 3, Darlene and Guy McElroy. Winners outside the city limits are 1., Brandi and Rob Erwin; 2., Stephanie and Mike Becker; and 3., Rae Nell and Rudy Janik.
- GOLIAD – The Goliad Chamber of Commerce office will be closed Dec. 31 – Jan. 1 in observance of the New Year.
- Goliad State Park and Historic Site, 108 Park Road 6, will have a First Day Hike event from 2 to 3 p.m. Tuesday. The hike will be about a 1-mile loop on the River Trail and the Angel of Goliad Trail. Those who are interested in attending the hike are to wear sturdy shoes, weather appropriate clothing and
- bring a water bottle. You can also bring a camera. Park fees are $3 for adults and free for children 12 years and under. Hike attendees are asked to meet at the lower day-use parking lot.
- Stoney LaRue will perform from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday at Schroeder Hall, 12516 Farm-to-Market Road 622. Tickets can be purchased at schroederhall.com.
- VANDERBILT – Beginning Jan. 8., Industrial Elementary West, 599 Farm-to-Market Road in Inez, will be using the new wing of the campus, the school district announced. The front entrance and administrative offices will be located at the front of the new wing. School administrators ask visitors to use the new front entrance when visiting the campus. The bus drop off/pick-up routine will remain the same until further notice.
- REFUGIO – The Refugio County Chamber of Commerce will host a R
- ock & Roll Bash-Vegas Night from 6 to 11:30 p.m. Saturday at the Refugio Community Center, 305 Swift St. Tickets are $45 general admission and can be bought at the chamber and at Wilkinson Chevrolet, 308 N. Alamo St.
Amber Aldaco contributed to this report.