Firefighters were sent to two Bloomington homes after an electrical short started a fire Wednesday, officials said.

The homes were in a cluster of one-story efficiency units in the 300 block of Indiana Street. No injuries were reported because both homes were unoccupied at the time of the fire, Victoria County Fire Marshal Richard Castillo said.

The fire was the result of an electrical short from a strip plug inside one of the homes. After the fire, one of the homes remained standing because of the metal frame, but the interior and items inside were destroyed, Castillo said.

Firefighters were called to the home at 12:33 p.m. The firefighters arrived at the fire, getting control of it by 12:35 p.m., Castillo said.

The heat of the fire caused damage to the neighboring unit, which had a peeling veneer.

The home’s resident, who was displaced, will be connected with American Red Cross for assistance, Castillo said.

The Victoria Fire Department, Victoria County Fire Marshal’s Office, and volunteer departments from Placedo, Quail Creek, DeCosta and Bloomington were sent to the fire.

A Texas Department of Public Safety trooper and deputies from the Victoria County Sheriff’s Office also assisted.

Recommended For You


Chase covers breaking news, crime and courts for the Advocate. He can be reached at 361-574-1286, crogers@vicad.com or at @chasedrogers.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
0
0
0
0
0

Breaking News & Public Safety Reporter

Chase writes about crime and courts for the Victoria Advocate. He grew up in the Dallas–Fort Worth area before attending Texas State University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in mass communication and journalism.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Transparency. Your full name is required.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. And receive photos, videos of what you see.
Don’t be a troll. Don’t be a troll. Don’t post inflammatory or off-topic messages, or personal attacks.

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.

To subscribe, click here. Already a subscriber? Click here.