You are the owner of this article.

How to give or get help after Harvey

  • 0
  • 1 min to read

Helpers from Lovers Lane Methodist Church in Dallas prepare a roof damaged by Hurricane Harvey for new shingles. The group of students and leaders are using their spring break to help with remaining damages.


Most charities that are helping residents rebuild are looking for materials and money to do so. They are also looking for volunteers to get the work done — especially people who are skilled like carpenters, plumbers and electricians.

In Victoria, call the Victoria County Long-Term Recovery Group at 361-578-3561 or send donations to P.O. Box 354, Victoria TX 77902.

In Refugio, contact the Refugio County Volunteer Reception Center at 361-230-1154 or

In Refugio, you can also contact the Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group, which is working to help Refugio in addition to several other counties like Aransas and Nueces. To donate funds and materials, contact 361-587-5005 or

In Calhoun, contact the Calhoun Long-Term Recovery Group at 361-434-0682 or email

In Austwell and Tivoli, call Rusty Cindy Ministries at 512-297-7596.

Hurricane Harvey complicates appraisal process

Volunteers, Isaac Brooks, top, and Anthony Sandoval, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, repair the roof of a community home on the 2900 block of East Juan Linn Street for Habitat for Humanity.


Regardless of where you live, first try dialing 2-1-1.

In Victoria, dial 2-1-1 or contact the Victoria County-Long Term Recovery Group at 361-703-5567 to find out how to apply for assistance. You can also fill out this form online from the Victoria County Long-Term Recovery Group.

In Refugio, dial 2-1-1 or contact the Refugio County Volunteer Reception Center at 361-230-1154 or

In Calhoun, dial 2-1-1 or contact the Calhoun Long-Term Recovery Group at 361-434-0682 or email

Need crisis counseling? Call the Gulf Bend Center's 24-hour hotline at 1-877-723-3422 — but know that the center only provides mental health and substance abuse resources; it doesn't provide services related to disaster recovery. 

Need legal help? Call Texas RioGrande Legal Aid. To view a list of offices near your home, click here.

Marina reports on local government for the Victoria Advocate. She may be reached at or 361-580-6511.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Marina writes about housing, Hurricane Harvey recovery and local politics for the Victoria Advocate. You can reach Marina by emailing or follow her on Twitter, @MarinaStarleaf.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Transparency. Your full name is required.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. And receive photos, videos of what you see.
Don’t be a troll. Don’t be a troll. Don’t post inflammatory or off-topic messages, or personal attacks.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.

To subscribe, click here. Already a subscriber? Click here.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Test Notifications